You know what I hate about Fighters?

Brawlers and Beatemups
Kevman
128-bit

You know what I hate about Fighters?

Post by Kevman »

Projectiles, worst idea ever. Who thought it would be a good idea to give ususally only one or two characters a spammy projectile in a fighting game. Worst part is the f-in CPUs that never stop. I know there possibe to dodge but its a pain in the ass and in a lot of games you lose damage even when you block.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

RANT OFF
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Meh, I see incoming hadokens as nothing but life meter replenishers, because I just parry them more often than not, and and get that 1% of my life meter refilled.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

The thing I don't like about fighters is that unless it's some button-masher like Guilty Gear or Darkstalkers [still both very good games], you have to memorize countless button combinations and execute them just right in order to win, or at least get the most out of the game.
disorderlyvision
128-bit

Post by disorderlyvision »

lisalover1 wrote:The thing I don't like about fighters is that unless it's some button-masher like Guilty Gear or Darkstalkers [still both very good games], you have to memorize countless button combinations and execute them just right in order to win, or at least get the most out of the game.

agreed, that has turned me away from a few games.
nateup2
128-bit

Post by nateup2 »

I dont know. I prefer the 2d Capcom games to the polygon fighters like Virtua, SC, DOA, etc... so I guess I enjoy that aspect of those games! There is always a way around them that leaves the opponent somewhat vulnerable. It does annoy the shit out of me when the CPU does that repeatedly though!
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

lisalover1 wrote:The thing I don't like about fighters is that unless it's some button-masher like Guilty Gear or Darkstalkers [still both very good games], you have to memorize countless button combinations and execute them just right in order to win, or at least get the most out of the game.
Sorry but GGX is about as far away from button mashing as a fighting game can get. If you mash buttons, you will fail, everytime, to anyone who even halfway knows what they're doing.
nateup2
128-bit

Post by nateup2 »

I would like to get more into that game, because I have yet to break through the button mashing surface of it to see the real depth. I need to play some pros I guess. Why the hell wouldn't they make the PC version online?!

Any tips?
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

I think projectiles made fighting games way better. It introduces the long-distance game, meaning the fighting isn't just when the characters are close...it is a continuous fight no matter where the fighters are.

And yes, I agree with Mozgus. I don't like calling fighting games button-mashers (because an expert in almost any game will defeat a button-masher). Some games allow you to get a little further with button mashing...but not Guilty Gear. Even someone like me with low to medium skills at GGX will beat anybody who mashes.

EDIT: The above applies unless you are using the term button-mashers to mean games that require many quick inputs, as opposed to games that use less button inputs and have slower-paced matches.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

Mozgus wrote:
Sorry but GGX is about as far away from button mashing as a fighting game can get. If you mash buttons, you will fail, everytime, to anyone who even halfway knows what they're doing.
You think so? Well, I might be missing out on some of the game's better attacks, then. I beat the whole game with only button mashing. Now, Virtua Fighter, THAT'S not button mashing.
nateup2
128-bit

Post by nateup2 »

Thats what Im saying i guess. The game is relatively easy on any difficulty level, and pretty much any diagonal followed by any button with any character performs some sort of special move. I love the visuals but have yet to experience any "ah ha" or "this is like a martial arts movie" level matches.