Brawlers and Beatemups
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14375
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

by Xeogred Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:58 pm

Dylan wrote:^ I wouldn't be concerned, the moment I heard that the downloads had been removed I went and downloaded it. You can Google it easily enough.

Yeah, still silly though. After 8 years of development instantly after the final version is out Sega slaps them in the face, though maybe they've had issues on and off about it. Least it was completed and will now be circulating around the net though.
User avatar
t0yrobo
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1035
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: GR MI

Re: Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

by t0yrobo Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:18 pm

Xeogred wrote:
Dylan wrote:^ I wouldn't be concerned, the moment I heard that the downloads had been removed I went and downloaded it. You can Google it easily enough.

Yeah, still silly though. After 8 years of development instantly after the final version is out Sega slaps them in the face, though maybe they've had issues on and off about it. Least it was completed and will now be circulating around the net though.


They claim that they notified Sega about the game awhile back. I'd like to think that somewhat at Sega pulled strings to hold off legal until after the game was released. Unlikely, but I like it better than reality.
User avatar
Inazuma
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2940
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:35 pm
Location: USA

Re: Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

by Inazuma Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:28 am

I feel like I need to step in and defend Sega here. I agree that it is bullshit for them to take down the game and all, but I don't think we should get that upset at them.

They waited till after the game was finished and released before forcing the creators to take it down. In other words, Sega knows it's a cool game and honestly wants us to enjoy it. However, they have legal obligations to remove it, so they had to. Sega knows damn well that their take down request is not only completely fucking useless but it will only serve to spread awareness about the game. I think Sega is cool for how they've handled this.
User avatar
BigTinz
128-bit
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:32 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

by BigTinz Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:49 am

Inazuma wrote:I feel like I need to step in and defend Sega here. I agree that it is bullshit for them to take down the game and all, but I don't think we should get that upset at them.

They waited till after the game was finished and released before forcing the creators to take it down. In other words, Sega knows it's a cool game and honestly wants us to enjoy it. However, they have legal obligations to remove it, so they had to. Sega knows damn well that their take down request is not only completely fucking useless but it will only serve to spread awareness about the game. I think Sega is cool for how they've handled this.


:lol:

You're such a tool. You don't honestly believe that "Sega knows it's a cool game and honestly wants us to enjoy it." Do you?

They don't want to lose the little bit of money they still make...and that's it. Same shit they pulled with the Sonic HD remake that came out last year. Sega realizes that fans make better games then they do and, in their eyes, that interferes with profits.

Sega isn't some friendly person who loves games, in reality the people who run Sega are old men who are frightened they're gonna go bankrupt if they stop publishing PC strategy games or interactive urinals. Maybe if Sega understood how to make a new IP that was worth a damn, they wouldn't have to do something so pathetic as this.


This was a shitty thing to do, period. What pc gamer that actually wanted to play the game isn't going to torrent it anyway? Any loser who would pay for a rom of streets of rage on steam today is still going to do it tomorrow.
Ivo
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3627
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

by Ivo Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 am

BigTinz wrote:You're such a tool. You don't honestly believe that "Sega knows it's a cool game and honestly wants us to enjoy it." Do you?
(...)


I'm on Sega and Inazuma's side on this particular case. Sega could have pulled off a cease and desist before the game was finished and released, but they did not.

If they want to keep their copyrights protected (or whatever), Sega needs to take action even against people doing it non-profit with tributes like these, otherwise other guys that use the IP for profit can use the inaction legally against Sega.

Sega also has some history of being rather tolerant, this wasn't the first time. Other companies out there strike with cease and desist orders before the stuff is finished and released, Sega doesn't typically do that as far as I know.

Ivo.
User avatar
CFFJR
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

by CFFJR Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:59 am

Ivo wrote:Sega also has some history of being rather tolerant, this wasn't the first time. Other companies out there strike with cease and desist orders before the stuff is finished and released, Sega doesn't typically do that as far as I know.


Very true.

Hell, that Chrono Trigger project that was mentioned earlier? Square-Enix put a stop to that the moment they caught wind of it. It was no where near finished either.

Sega has always let this stuff go, proven by the sheer number of Sonic fan games, many of which are completed and released for free to all, that have never been challenged a single time.

Hell, there have been occasions where SonicRetro received news directly from Sega regarding Sonic related events. Sonic 4 comes to mind.

Besides, people can squeal about this all they want, the fact remains that nobody knows for sure what happened this time. The guys over at the SoRR website have remained completely silent on the matter. You can make a reasonable assumption, sure, but nothing is certain right now.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
User avatar
brunoafh
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:20 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

by brunoafh Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:54 am

I'm not sure what to make of it, but I certainly don't think SEGA was "just being cool". That seems like blind thinking to me. If they were just going to be lax about it, they'd just ignore it, like they have with all of those Sonic fan-games. If they weren't obligated to ask that those be taken down, why would they be obligated to ask this be taken down? Both franchises are being sold through VC/PSN/XBL and compilations still.

Having said that, I'm playing it right now, and it's the shit.
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14375
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

by Xeogred Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:18 am

I beat Hard last night with an AI partner and Shiva way too easily... time for Very Hard or Mania!
User avatar
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2805
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:03 am
Location: Austin

Re: Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

by wip3outguy7 Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:54 am

Why do I get this feeling that SEGA is working out a price with Bomber and will release the game to XBL/PSN for like $10 and charge, DLC style, for all of the store bought content within the game? LOL
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14375
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

by Xeogred Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:17 pm

wip3outguy7 wrote:Why do I get this feeling that SEGA is working out a price with Bomber and will release the game to XBL/PSN for like $10 and charge, DLC style, for all of the store bought content within the game? LOL

Yeah right. I wish.

Here was SEGA Europe's official response according to Kotaku:
Sega Europe reps responded with the following statement: "SEGA is committed to supporting any fans that take an interest in our games, and where possible we do so by involving them in Beta tests and other development, marketing or research opportunities. However we need to protect our intellectual property rights and this may result in us requesting that our fans remove online imagery, videos or games in some instances."


Cool, we can be used for beta tests, other development, and marketing/research opportunities! Sounds like blast.

Wow. :lol: ...
Return to Fighters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests