Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

Brawlers and Beatemups
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

Post by Xeogred »

@CFFJR: I have not unlocked the editor yet, just grabbing the other stuff first I guess. I'm not sure if you got the palette editor yet, but getting that enables like ~10 choices for every character instead of 3 before unlocking that. Awesome.

And yeah "Unlock all SoR1-2 Characters" is totally worth it, I love that they have all the incarnations of the main characters in there. Honestly SoR2 Axel beats the crap out of SoR3 Axel, his run attack is so good and just seems to deal more damage... not as fast, but oh well. I like all the Blaze's honestly, she's great. Not a fan of the kid though. Also buying this unlocks SoR2 Shiva, whom plays pretty well too (kind of prefer his run attack over SoR3's. He also has a cool run attack with the knives, like how the SoR3 version has a crazy badass attack with swords).

By the way I finally finished that epic money route today with no continues and got 111k, holy crap! And yeah I've found the hidden bars in the train and whatnot. I also guess I was wrong about the Kangaroo's and not having enough time to grab their chokers/gold bars, if you got this route, you aren't automatically moved to the next section until you go forward manually. So it's easy to get those too. Definitely the best route for money probably.

And yeah I totally agree about Rudra's back slam attack, holy crap is that badass. :D

And this thread is awesome. Lots of stuff to check out, whenever I stop being addicted to this game. :lol:
MidnightRider
32-bit

Post by MidnightRider »

Yeah, and here's a couple more for ya, and you too brunoafh, if Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a big deal for ya.

Just tried these, not perfectly playable, but playable enough in MAME:
Knights of Valour Super Heroes & Knights of Valour 2.

Super Heroes seems to be a variation of the first KoV. In fact it seems to be KoV Plus with Lu Xun as an extra playable character. Not sure what else it might have going for it though.

That said it has more playable characters than 2, though 2 seems to have some secret playables.

These games are...hmm...guess I don't really have anything to compare them to. They're hack 'n slash games with combo-ability. Like a halfway point between Golden Axe and a SoR or something. You got some fighting game style specials as well, at least in Super Heroes, I can't speak for 2, since I couldn't seem to pull any off in the little I've played of it. Branching Paths, sub weapons, lots of 3 kingdoms bosses, and if you thought Dynasty Warriors took things a little far with it's fictionalization, you haven't seen anything yet. Oh there's a points based level up system, where I guess you get faster/stronger each level, but it seems to take a good while just to make 1 level.

Pretty much picture this to Golden Axe and similar hack n slash games as what SoRR is to SoR.

One note: I did try Knight of Valour: The 7 Spirits, which looks like it can run in MAME if you go by it's directory, and not to brag, but I have a beast of a PC here, and it still wouldn't run smoothly at all. Not too surprising though, it's 104 Megs and 7 years old.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Also I completely agree with you MidnightRider from the last page in regards to saying this genre is best and always will be in 2D. I've made the comparison on the forums here earlier that to me, games like Dynasty Warriors and whatnot kind of are what 3D beat em' ups are... but to me it's just not the same at all and I don't really get into those kind of games nearly as much as the classic 2D stuff. I'll admit Godhand kicked ass though, same with The Bouncer if I dare say that, but yeah in the end these games aren't as timeless as the classic sidescrolling beat em' ups to me.

I haven't played very many arcade only ones, but I remember checking out the Punisher one and it was pretty awesome.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

MidnightRider wrote:
brunoafh wrote:
Flake wrote:For what its worth, I just tried Streets of Rage for the first time because of all the attention the series is getting right now. It's a LOT of fun and something that I think I'd be willing to spend money on.

You know, that stuff Sega probably needs these days?

So if Sega is just getting all legal eagle without planning to do SOMETHING with the franchise, they are making mistake.

As much as I'd like that, I don't see anything new coming out of them.

They probably requested it be taken down because the SoR games are still sold in compilations on multiple platforms and are on Virtual Console/XBLA/PSN.

I'd rather they didn't bother. You know how 3D updates to classic series usually go. Unless they can pull a New Super Mario Bros. with it, but I just see them thinking: 3D(with 360 degrees of movement), long as hell, completely new cast in which some of the old cast has become villains or something else just as stupid, loaded with cut scenes to tell this dumbass story, etc.

I think it(whole genre) just works better in 2d(hell I didn't care for the graphic style of that Streets of Fury), side scrolling, and kept relatively short, without need of a save function. It's a pick up and play genre that takes time to master an individual game.

That said, it's hard for me to pick a favorite, because I think there are a lot of games that would give SoR a run for it's money. Unfortunately most never left arcades/Japan. A good portion of them, despite not being Final Fight, were still developed by Capcom.

Streets of Fury was made with digitized graphics, it's a throwback to Pit Fighter and Mortal Kombat. It's a specific kind of humor.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

brunoafh wrote:Here are some pretty obscure beat em ups you guys may enjoy that don't get much credit:

Crystal of Kings
Tenchi wo Kurau II
Battle Circuit (this one is crazy, definitely check it out)

These are a little more well known, but still don't get an awful lot of attention:
The Punisher
King of Dragons

Battle Circuit is my favorite beat 'em up of all time. Of all time.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

Ugh. I really like Max, but some of the stages are just BRUTALLY unfair against him. I pretty much have to have a second player to use him.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

If you're going with the original characters, Max + Blaze = insane. She's got the speed to back him up. I always liked playing as Max in 2 myself and he's great here, but yeah I know what you mean. I can't even imagine going solo with him down the ninja filled paths...
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

Xeogred wrote:If you're going with the original characters, Max + Blaze = insane. She's got the speed to back him up. I always liked playing as Max in 2 myself and he's great here, but yeah I know what you mean. I can't even imagine going solo with him down the ninja filled paths...

It's stupid. It's not even challenging, it's just dumb.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

the7k wrote:Battle Circuit is my favorite beat 'em up of all time. Of all time.

I nod my head to you sir.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Would someone be kind enough to send me a download link, given the whole Sega mess and the site's bandwidth limit being exceeded. You could PM it to me. This remake V5 seems pretty cool and I am missing out
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.