What is your favorite fighting game series?

Brawlers and Beatemups

Favorite fighting game series

Virtua Fighter
10%
Tekken
8%
Dead or Alive
2%
Soulcalibur
9%
Street Fighter
29%
King of Fighters
11%
Samurai Shodown
6%
Dalkstalkers
5%
Vs Series
12%
Super Smash Bros
9%

Total votes: 132

the7k
Next-Gen

Re: What is your favorite fighting game series?

Post by the7k »

Well, I love Street Fighter Alpha and III. Great casts of characters with unique fighting styles. SF2 and 4, on the other hand...

Let's not even mention the original Street Fighter.

I certainly share your sentiments on Darkstalkers. It has everything I crave in a fighting game - beautiful animation, a vibrant cast of characters that just ooze originality, extremely fast paced action, and several different fighting styles that encompass both the familiar and the strange. It could use some balance fixes (Hello Bishamon), but that goes with pretty much any fighter out there - and it's not nearly in as much dire need of rebalancing as many other fighters out there.

Really, I love it because I find it fun. That's just a very personal thing, so I guess I can't expect many others to see things from my perspective.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Is Mortal Kombat really that hated that you would have to actually remove it from the list for another game?
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Ziggy587 wrote:Is Mortal Kombat really that hated that you would have to actually remove it from the list for another game?

Lose Mortal Kombat, gain Darkstalkers?
I'd make that trade any day of the week.

I almost feel like we need a separate 2D Fighter/3D Fighter thread, just due to space. There's no Arc System Works representation going on.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

And the KOF/FF option is really getting bothering me. I haven't voted because of that.
DCsegaDH
128-bit

Post by DCsegaDH »

the7k wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:Is Mortal Kombat really that hated that you would have to actually remove it from the list for another game?

Lose Mortal Kombat, gain Darkstalkers?
I'd make that trade any day of the week.

I almost feel like we need a separate 2D Fighter/3D Fighter thread, just due to space. There's no Arc System Works representation going on.

I use to like MK a lot when I was little (I grew up in the 90's), but when I play them now I don't really care for them.

Darkstalkers FTW. I play Vampire Savior in a pizza place when I order a pizza, you can't go wrong. I really think Capcom use make another Darkstalkers game in the SF4 style, I would love that 8)
Systems: Sega Dreamcast(x2), Sega Genesis(x2), Sega Saturn, Sega CD, Genmobile (portable Genesis), FC Twin, PSX, PS2(x2), GBA, SP, Xbox 360, N64, Showcase Arcade
Metal Militia
128-bit

Post by Metal Militia »

Is it sad that I've never heard of this Darkstalkers before this thread :?
izdead
32-bit

Post by izdead »

Metal Militia wrote:Is it sad that I've never heard of this Darkstalkers before this thread :?

it is very sad
systems: SNES, NES, Sega Genisis, Sega CD, N64, PSone, XBOX, XBOX360 (RROD), GameBoy, GBA
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Metal Militia wrote:Is it sad that I've never heard of this Darkstalkers before this thread :?

Yeah, it's pretty sad. Not shocking in any way, but still sad. Darkstalkers had the misfortune of coming out at a time when the gaming media dismissed every non-Street Fighter 2D Fighter as being a Street Fighter clone, failing to highlight that many 'innovations' of the Versus series actually came straight out of Darkstalkers, largely unchanged.

Still, I gotta say it's kinda strange you haven't heard of them. Not played them, sure, but they've made plenty of Crossover appearances. MvC1, MvC2, CvS1, CvS2, Cross Edge, Puzzle Fighter, TvC, SvC:Chaos, and plenty of appearances in lesser known games like Namco X Capcom, Pocket Fighter and Capcom Fighting Jam.
Metal Militia
128-bit

Post by Metal Militia »

I had used Morrigan, BB Hood, Felicia before in MVC2, but I had no idea where they came from and really didn't care at the time. Yeah I know EPIC FAIL on my part :(
Ack

Post by Ack »

I actually put Virtua Fighter. What it's done for 3D fighting games has been immense, though I realize most people avoid it.

On a side note, nobody a big fan of Bloody Roar? I realize that it's unlikely to be more popular than these mainstay series, but I'm sure somebody out there loves it.