2D Fighters You Think We Might Have Missed

Brawlers and Beatemups
SplashChick
64-bit

Re: 2D Fighters You Think We Might Have Missed

Post by SplashChick »

Battle Fantasia was pretty badass, and definitely overlooked. Melty Blood: Act Cadenza is great, but impossible to find a decently priced copy of. And of course, SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millenium for NGPC is the best portable fighter ever.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
elvis
128-bit

Post by elvis »

h8b1llg8ts wrote:While reading that same thread I also came across another game, Arcana Hearts for the PS2. Another game I am now adding to my list.

If you like AH you'll probably like all the other doujin (Japanese homebrew) fighters.

Melty Blood, Akatsuki Blitzkampf, Monster, etc ,etc.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

elvis wrote:
h8b1llg8ts wrote:While reading that same thread I also came across another game, Arcana Hearts for the PS2. Another game I am now adding to my list.

If you like AH you'll probably like all the other doujin (Japanese homebrew) fighters.

Melty Blood, Akatsuki Blitzkampf, Monster, etc ,etc.

It seems really difficult to find good working copies of games like that though. I REALLY want Melty Blood, I've only played it in a local arcade.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
elvis
128-bit

Post by elvis »

Melty Blood: Act Cadenza made it to PS2. I bought a copy way back on release.

Play-Asia have both Act Cadenza and the sequel, Actress Again in stock for PS2. Act Cadenza RevB is also in stock for PC.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

elvis wrote:Melty Blood: Act Cadenza made it to PS2. I bought a copy way back on release.

Play-Asia have both Act Cadenza and the sequel, Actress Again in stock for PS2. Act Cadenza RevB is also in stock for PC.

Well yeah, for SEVENTY DOLLARS. I think it's kind of ridiculous to have to pay that much even for the old versions.

EDIT: Nevermind, just checked Ebay and it seems Act Cadenza is attainable for under $30 shipped. It didn't used to be that way, ha. I want to get the new version, though.
elvis
128-bit

Post by elvis »

SplashChick wrote:I REALLY want Melty Blood
SplashChick wrote:Well yeah, for SEVENTY DOLLARS. I think it's kind of ridiculous to have to pay that much even for the old versions.

I don't think $70 is too much to ask if you "REALLY" want it. :)

Unless you've fibbed to us with your overzealous use of capslock. :P
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

elvis wrote:
SplashChick wrote:I REALLY want Melty Blood
SplashChick wrote:Well yeah, for SEVENTY DOLLARS. I think it's kind of ridiculous to have to pay that much even for the old versions.

I don't think $70 is too much to ask if you "REALLY" want it. :)

Unless you've fibbed to us with your overzealous use of capslock. :P

No, I'm just really broke lol.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

h8b1llg8ts wrote:So what other 2D fighters do you think we might have missed?

Which ones have you definitely played?

Most of Capcom's obscure stuff is really great. Vampire Savior, Cyberbots, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Warzards springs to mind. Warzards never got a console release, which'll make playing it hard/expensive, unless you have certain 'moral flexibilities'.

Also, Hokuto no Ken and Sengoku Basara X are gorgeous. Hook your PS2 up to an HDTV with component cables, and you'll be amazed. I played both with a large group of friends, and with SBX especially, we all thought it looked just as good as BlazBlue on PS3/360.

From SNK, I'd highly recommend Neo Geo Battle Coliseum and King of Fighters XI. Maybe not very obscure, but few people seem to have played them. NGBC is a load of fun, despite the graphics not being very consistent, while KOFXI is tied with '98 as my favorite of the entire KOF series. Seriously.
elvis
128-bit

Post by elvis »

I have two gripes with NGBC:

1) The PS2 port has the WORST LOADING TIMES EVAR! I'd heard others bitching about it, but was gobsmacked when I experienced it for myself. If you've got HDLoader, use it.

2) The single player mode for NGBC is just stupid. It's a quasi survival match, and just retarded. Definitely stick to playing this with friends.

Other than that, it's a great game if you're into the various SNK-P fighting systems. Being a Capcom whore (in a land of Capcom whores), they confound me and I'm not terribly good at them, and with little interest amongst friends or the local community, I don't feel I gave it the attention it deserves.

With that said, I grabbed KOFXII on PS3 just last week, and am loving it. It feels like the controls have been loosened up a little, and it's just a joy to play. Although load times still suck, even when installed to the PS3 hard disk. I have no idea what SNK-P are doing, but they can't seem to optimise their data compared to the brilliance of Namco fighters on consoles.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

elvis wrote:I have two gripes with NGBC:

1) The PS2 port has the WORST LOADING TIMES EVAR! I'd heard others bitching about it, but was gobsmacked when I experienced it for myself. If you've got HDLoader, use it.

2) The single player mode for NGBC is just stupid. It's a quasi survival match, and just retarded. Definitely stick to playing this with friends.

Other than that, it's a great game if you're into the various SNK-P fighting systems. Being a Capcom whore (in a land of Capcom whores), they confound me and I'm not terribly good at them, and with little interest amongst friends or the local community, I don't feel I gave it the attention it deserves.

With that said, I grabbed KOFXII on PS3 just last week, and am loving it. It feels like the controls have been loosened up a little, and it's just a joy to play. Although load times still suck, even when installed to the PS3 hard disk. I have no idea what SNK-P are doing, but they can't seem to optimise their data compared to the brilliance of Namco fighters on consoles.

And the netcode is horrible, don't forget.