How come there are so many versions of SF 2 and 3

Brawlers and Beatemups
Zalphier
24-bit

How come there are so many versions of SF 2 and 3

Post by Zalphier »

I mean, in all respect to the fans, I think there are too many versions of what essentially the same game. Each newer release I feel has little improvement or change.

Releases SF2 and after

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (1991)
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition (1992)
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting (1992)
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (1993)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo (1994)
Street Fighter Alpha/Zero
Street Fighter Alpha II (1996)
Street Fighter Alpha III (1998)
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (2006)
SF3
Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact - Giant Attack (1998)
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Fight For the Future (1999)
SF EX series

Then there are others(portable versions)
IMO, the only one with significant change in the SF2 department is the new challengers(offers more players) And I can't vouch for SF3, as I only recal palying FFTF
The Alpha releases seem near the same as the others(in the alpha series) What really amazes my is SFA:anthology, so they're compiling 3 of the same games and re-releasing them?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

There are some definite jump in the Street Fighter 3 Lineup -- especially considering there weren't that many.

SF2 on the other hand.... Capcom wanted money,
Zork
32-bit

Post by Zork »

Well, SF2 remained kind of the same just with little tweaks until they added those extra characters and super moves. SFA was one of them that changed quite a bit with each installment imo, especially after Alpha/Zero 2 to 3. Alpha 1 had chain combos and not too many characters, Alpha 2 took out chain combos except for Guy, had the new Custom Combo system which needed polish, and added more characters thankfully. Then Alpha 3 had a ton of characters, three different fighting styles to use, all the little modes after that, and World Tour. So actually the Alpha series was changed up quite a bit each being pretty different from one another but Alpha 3 was very different from it's progenators.

SF3 however is another story. SF3 had stripped a bit of the gameplay down and made it slower again, you couldn't even do air Hurricane Kicks after being able to do it for so long...I have no idea why they did this, and they really butchered the character selection but it had to happen. SF3: Double Impact added three new characters and gave back the things SF3 took away and you could choose what super move you would use for each round which added a bit of a strategic value to the game, of course the gameplay was a bit tighter too. SF3: Third Strike fixed parrying added a few more characters, took out some moves from the other SF3 characters (And I can understand why), basically, Capcom got their head out of their ass and finally fine tuned and steamlined it. Which is what usually happens with Capcom fighters

General Idea: First Game
Impovements and Experiments from the Idea: Second Game
The Final Product: Third Game

SF2 was just Capcom whoring out, and I believe everyone knows that.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Also, the Street fighter EX series really isn't a street fighter game. Considering it wasn't even made by Capcom to my knowledge, and considering it's one of the worst out of all the serieses, I don't really know why it is even considered part of it. But why did you forget the Marvel Vs Capcom, X-Men Vs Street Fighter, SVC and SVC 2? Those are a bit different and added a bit to the whole amounts of serieses me thinks.
SegaVega
24-bit

Post by SegaVega »

There were some definite improvements in the SFII series as well, but it was mostly an advantage-taking thing.

The irony is that Capcom almost went bankrupt after the cost of producing milllons of Super SFII SNES and Genesis carts.
Zalphier
24-bit

Post by Zalphier »

metaleggman wrote:Also, the Street fighter EX series really isn't a street fighter game. Considering it wasn't even made by Capcom to my knowledge, and considering it's one of the worst out of all the serieses, I don't really know why it is even considered part of it. But why did you forget the Marvel Vs Capcom, X-Men Vs Street Fighter, SVC and SVC 2? Those are a bit different and added a bit to the whole amounts of serieses me thinks.

I didn't forget to put them on the list, I just don't consider them SF games. And, also, I've never even played X-men Vs Street Fighter.(or seen it for the matter)
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Zalphier wrote:
metaleggman wrote:Also, the Street fighter EX series really isn't a street fighter game. Considering it wasn't even made by Capcom to my knowledge, and considering it's one of the worst out of all the serieses, I don't really know why it is even considered part of it. But why did you forget the Marvel Vs Capcom, X-Men Vs Street Fighter, SVC and SVC 2? Those are a bit different and added a bit to the whole amounts of serieses me thinks.

I didn't forget to put them on the list, I just don't consider them SF games. And, also, I've never even played X-men Vs Street Fighter.(or seen it for the matter)
Well, you should. Definately my favorite. :P
risk
16-bit

Post by risk »

msh vs sf here :)
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

risk wrote:msh vs sf here :)
ya, that ones awesome too. Spidey, hulk, and ryu. It's no dream team, cuz I suck. But the thought of it tingles ur spine.