Kungfu Type Games

Brawlers and Beatemups
azygos

Kungfu Type Games

Post by azygos »

How many Kungfu type games were ever made on consoles and arcades.....I have only found Yie Ar Kung Fu I & II on NES/Arcades, Kung Fu on NES (Save Sylvania from Mr X), a small but brilliant little game, Kicker on MAME Arcade, and Budokan for DOS and SNES........are you aware of any others?
azygos

Post by azygos »

Just forgot to mention Vigilante (arcade and Turbo Gfx)
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

Post by grittykitty »

while not "kung fu", karateka does seem to fit the genre. i think it was released on a few computers and there was a release (possibly bootleg?) on the NES
SegaVega
24-bit

Post by SegaVega »

There's plenty of Kung Fu type games :) Karate Champ was one of the earliest fighting games, and is a lot like Yie Ar Kung Fu. The original arcade release used dual sticks instead of buttons for moves.

Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan saw several dispicable licensed releases and even Kung Fu on NES was based on a Jackie Chan movie (Meals on Wheels), if you weren't convinced that Kung Fu was about Kung Fu. Then there's Jet Li's Rise to Honor (PS2), perhaps Legend of Kage+Demon Sword (NES), and loads of ninja-type games if you expand your criteria a tad.

You could stretch it a bit and say things like Shenmue, Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter etc...SF's Fei Long is quite Kung Fu. The games with "pieces" of Kung Fu usually turn out better than the ones based in it completely.

I've never said "Kung Fu" so much.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Have you tried spartan X 2? Its on the famicom and is the sequel to Kung-fu, but it is different in quite a few ways, you may like it though. If you have a hard time finding it, i'll definately send you a rom of it ;)

off topic, anyone else, when reading grittykitty's posts think of it as stimpy saying it? :D
azygos

Post by azygos »

Thanks for the suggestions.....i understand that Street Fighter is essentially kung fu but i wanted something without all those supernatural special moves :D Of course; Zangief is an exception and so is Liu Kang on Mortal Kombat.

I have played those despicable jackie chang games.....even bruce lee is faulty to the core........However, i remember one decent release by turbo gfx and that was China Warrior.

Unfortunately dont have a PS with me, must admit i am only an occasional gamer..........Just played the Spartan X2 game.....Its a bit faster than the old kungfu but the gameplay is similar with slightly better graphics....thanks!!!
SiW
8-bit

Re: Kungfu Type Games

Post by SiW »

I have no idea if you're still reading this, but the NES game is a port of the original arcade Kung Fu Master, and it kicks seven kinds of ass. I still have the music going through my head 20 years later.
disorderlyvision
128-bit

Post by disorderlyvision »

Tai Fu for the ps1
Ack

Post by Ack »

Considering he only had 10 posts and he registered in 2006...I don't think he's reading this anymore.