Newer Neo-Geo Clones and Other Updates to 101 Guide

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
racketboy
Site Admin

Newer Neo-Geo Clones and Other Updates to 101 Guide

Post by racketboy »

I was thinking we should update and expand the Neo-Geo 101 guide.
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/snk-neo- ... ners-guide

The main things are probably adding to the mainstream Neo-Geo clone systems. Can anybody share the biggest new vendors and pros and cons of the offerings?

Anything else we should add/update on the guide>
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Newer Neo-Geo Clones and Other Updates to 101 Guide

Post by Tanooki »

There really isn't a clone. Those devices are expansions of those crappy RS-## handhelds, so they do various systems, but perhaps it does NeoGeo too.

If anything I'd update the price values for the most expensive and most affordable lists for MVS, NGPC and AES. AES has always kind of sucked and consistently so, but in the last year MVS prices are getting into the asinine territory compared and NGPC has got a bit more uncomfortable unless you're only into just the games alone.

If you care to cover after market, there is a rock solid NGPC SD Kit from RetroHQ worth doing a piece on, and there are now the after market mods adding a lit up screen to the NGPC too. There are a small selection of period accessories not from SNK for the device that are kind of more or less harder to come by including the fairly elusive (sadly) worm light for it. On the big side, there are now flash kits for MVS/AES too, spendy, but nothing like the real deal in plenty of cases.

Also on the MVS side there would be the rise of the multicarts in the last few years and how a couple in particular 161 and 138 in 1's cover almost the entire MVS library.

Editing this one in, NeoSaveMasta and NeoBiosMasta. Same guy made the things, the first is a one stop memory card shop that needs no battery to keep data and has so much room it can save any game with load/save features, and all high scores from any game given you have the Unibios. The other piece, it allows that bios to be popped into a 1slot board that doesn't have a socket BIOS chip which is handy. And UniBIOS really should be mentioned too.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I guess I should have used “consolized MVS” — the Omega is one the new big ones, right?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well yeah one of them, there's also that more newer released Chinese oddity that uses old 1slot boards with a new shell, consolized with various output choices on them and they are fairly cheap compared to other choices. No way to know about long term durability, but I haven't seen any real big complaints yet. Given they're using original SNK hardware with their own tweaks, I guess if they don't slop those up it should last.