Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22689
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

by MrPopo Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:19 am

Tanooki wrote:Just because I don't choose to acknowledge a person who changes outwardly to the opposite doesn't make me an ass, it just makes me someone who would rather see things handled better than a medical bait and switch.

Yes. It. Does. And your transphobia is not going to be tolerated here. Am I clear?
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Tanooki
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

by Tanooki Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 am

I'm not transphobic as I neither dislike nor am I prejudiced against them either. I'm not phobic (fearing) trans people either. What you're saying though is clear. I either have to violate my beliefs and get silenced, or don't respond and still be silenced. It's a no win situation.
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22689
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

by MrPopo Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:38 am

Tanooki wrote:I'm not transphobic as I neither dislike nor am I prejudiced against them either.

You just refuse to acknowledge their right to be addressed by their gender identity.
What you're saying though is clear. I either have to violate my beliefs and get silenced, or don't respond and still be silenced. It's a no win situation.

You could always do some deep introspection and realize that you are coming from a place of ignorance, learn from that introspection, and grow as a person. That would be a win.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Tanooki
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

by Tanooki Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:51 am

Look I've thought about it for a long time, that's why I consider it a mental health problem and one that is not being properly addressed unlike a lot who just latch onto the whole hate the gay person angle and the other garbage. And yes I guess I am guilty as charged but I can't in good conscience or belief call someone born one sex the other because of some mental condition they have makes them believe they are the other. That's where I do draw the line. It's not like I have not been around with or associated friendly gay or trans people at work or out in the general public. I get along just fine, work along side of and the rest as I would any other but I do get hung up on calling someone that they genetically are not and that really is just it. It's not hate, it's not fear, it's just for a lack of a better way to discuss this in terms - medical, mental health centric, that's it.

Take sex out of it and go toward the mind. Is it generally accepted with other mental conditions to go along with it? What about people who feel they shouldn't have an arm, a leg, ears, whatever that mentally for some reason they're triggered to think it's gross and alien. They will seek out and find much trouble getting a licensed doctor to do it, but there are those who will seek and if they can't get it, lop off the offending appendage. We as society don't just tell them in advance it is ok, and sign them up next month to get something removed. How about a schizophrenic? We don't let them go along having borderline if not truly insane thoughts that would make them a danger to themselves or others. Depending on the severity of that mental issue they get psychotherapy, medication, regular out/inpatient specialty care services. I'll stop with just 2 examples, but they are a mental variance where someone feels something doesn't belong or they have abnormal thought. In both cases they're not bad people, people to fear, or people to screw with, but they are handled by not feeding into the issue. But when it comes for some reason to men/women who think they're the opposite we don't do this, we support clothing changes, hormone replacement, eventual surgery/surgeries, and just compound it by verifying it's alright and ok and normal when it really isn't. I don't know what else to tell you other than trying to use some kinds of comparisons like these but that's what it is rooted in if you believe/get it or not. That's really what it is.
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22689
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

by MrPopo Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:10 am

So you know better than thousands of mental health professionals? And then you pull the "I've got trans friends" cards like a racist defends himself by saying he's got that one black friend. You can sugarcoat it all you want, but your unwillingness to admit that you are wrong here makes you a transphobe. And that is not welcome here at Racketboy.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7527
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:55 am

MrPopo wrote:So you know better than thousands of mental health professionals? And then you pull the "I've got trans friends" cards like a racist defends himself by saying he's got that one black friend. You can sugarcoat it all you want, but your unwillingness to admit that you are wrong here makes you a transphobe. And that is not welcome here at Racketboy.

Hear, hear. We've lost members because we put up with this kind of prejudice with little more than a finger wag. Not this time.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
Tanooki
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

by Tanooki Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:00 am

Right now pulling out the classic racism card. I never once said I had friends who were, just that I work/live around, just that I was friendly toward which is not the same. Clearly there's no chance at rational thought or discussion of any belief other than the one you choose to go by. There's no reason to further discuss this as it will go nowhere.
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7527
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 am

"It's my opinion that black people are inferior to white people."

"It's my opinion that women should be obedient to men."

"It's my opinion that people must identify as the gender that matches their sex."


Those three are equally undeserving of consideration because all three of those are equally disrespectful to a person's fundamental human rights.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 9498
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

by marurun Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 am

Tanooki wrote:If that's how it is so be it, but it is a feeling. The thing it you can't prove it, factually. Just because someone can legally get surgery to change their physical appearance doesn't change genetically physically what they are. There is a rooted mental health issue there not being addressed with anything but surgery and accepting into their belief. Just because I don't choose to acknowledge a person who changes outwardly to the opposite doesn't make me an ass, it just makes me someone who would rather see things handled better than a medical bait and switch.

It's pretty sad we're to a point now where it's just resorting to bully tactics to say you must think as I think, act as I act, or you're f'ing done. There was a time when people didn't agree it didn't get vicious you just ignored it, laughed it off, or at least respectfully made a comment and let it go.


Your "view" on this runs counter to the current standards in the medical and mental health professions. You're not just having an opinion, you're defying current expert consensus. And if you want to tell me you know the role of genetics in gender and mental health better than the pros, well, don't bother.

What this really boils down to is a matter of respect. You are disrespecting someone because you have decided that their circumstances are invalid. You are imposing your world view upon someone else and then using it to disrespect them. Rebecca is clearly now a woman. That's how she presents, that's clearly how she wants to be seen and referred to. Your choice disrespects that and is therefore insulting and denigrating. It's also transphobic. Here's the definition in case you want to try to argue you're not being transphobic: "Transphobia is a range of negative attitudes, feelings or actions toward transgender or transsexual people, or toward transsexuality. Transphobia can be emotional disgust, fear, violence, anger or discomfort felt or expressed towards people who do not conform to society's gender expectations." We have decided that we will not longer suffer that kind of BS on the forums. So please refer to people using their preferred presentation going forward. This applies to everyone on the board, not just you. But also you.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6770
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Re: Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:35 am

marurun wrote:
Tanooki wrote:If that's how it is so be it, but it is a feeling. The thing it you can't prove it, factually. Just because someone can legally get surgery to change their physical appearance doesn't change genetically physically what they are. There is a rooted mental health issue there not being addressed with anything but surgery and accepting into their belief. Just because I don't choose to acknowledge a person who changes outwardly to the opposite doesn't make me an ass, it just makes me someone who would rather see things handled better than a medical bait and switch.

It's pretty sad we're to a point now where it's just resorting to bully tactics to say you must think as I think, act as I act, or you're f'ing done. There was a time when people didn't agree it didn't get vicious you just ignored it, laughed it off, or at least respectfully made a comment and let it go.


Your "view" on this runs counter to the current standards in the medical and mental health professions. You're not just having an opinion, you're defying current expert consensus. And if you want to tell me you know the role of genetics in gender and mental health better than the pros, well, don't bother.

What this really boils down to is a matter of respect. You are disrespecting someone because you have decided that their circumstances are invalid. You are imposing your world view upon someone else and then using it to disrespect them. Rebecca is clearly now a woman. That's how she presents, that's clearly how she wants to be seen and referred to. Your choice disrespects that and is therefore insulting and denigrating. It's also transphobic. Here's the definition in case you want to try to argue you're not being transphobic: "Transphobia is a range of negative attitudes, feelings or actions toward transgender or transsexual people, or toward transsexuality. Transphobia can be emotional disgust, fear, violence, anger or discomfort felt or expressed towards people who do not conform to society's gender expectations." We have decided that we will not longer suffer that kind of BS on the forums. So please refer to people using their preferred presentation going forward. This applies to everyone on the board, not just you. But also you.


Mad love.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Return to Other Platforms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests