Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

Post by Jagosaurus »

Wow....

This was a very informative video. It is Rebecca Heineman discussing the port of 3DO DOOM. I had always heard rumors it was a rushed port done by one guy... well close, one woman. She dives into the whole bizarre story here and discusses it all. It's amazing this game ever hit store shelves.

https://youtu.be/rBbIil2HPSU

After this I'll be tuning in to more of her videos. She makes a reference that she had a heavy hand in Killing Time on 3D0 as well.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Re: Story of Programming 3DO DOOM (Dev Video)

Post by Ziggy »

You had me at DOOM.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Wonder if she's related to dsheinem? :P
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I forgot that one guy had worked on Doom for the 3DO. I had heard about it years ago and found it crazy but given how the game ended up turning out it probably isn't that big of a surprise in one way (issues) but also is because one man got it done and to market which says a lot. Bill put a hell of a lot of work into that and deserves all the credit given even so much later on in time with that breakdown in that video.
marurun

Post by marurun »

One woman. One awesome woman.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Huh? Who is Bill?

:P :lol:

Art Data Interactive President was Randy Scott. Maybe someone at Interplay or Logicware? Been about a week since I watched the original video by Rebecca so I might be missing your connection there.

@Elkin, I like to imagine that's Dave's left arm you see playing Xbox :D

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Bill decided to become a woman around a decade ago so that's why some people are calling him a her in this if you're confused. Back when the game was done, his name was Bill.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well, that caught me off guard. What was her name before? Same last, just Bill?

Props to her now....him then I guess. Either way, not my business. This was a crazy situation from an awesome programmer. The overall legacy perhaps just got a tad more interesting with that new info (to me) though. I'm a DOOM nut & the 3DO always fascinated me. Cool to have the behind the scenes info.

Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

That was a fascinating video. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting it, Jagosaurus!
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I just watched this last week. (have no idea where I ran across the link; so serendipitous).
Read the story notes about it a while back and was quite fascinated. It's actually quite a remarkable port and actually does a couple things very right, namely innovative play control and that awesome band-recorded soundtrack.

I actually played through the game on my 3DO and it is definitely playable, if rough around the edges (anyone who can tolerate Zero Tolerance will be fine). Of course, I play through a lot of Doom ports (Saturn, PS1, Jaguar, 32X, SNES, GBA, etc, and even tried the get a Doom source port going on an N-gage, with interesting results).
It would tickle me purple if someone could improve the code and do a complete port of Doom and/or Doom 2 for the 3DO with all levels and monsters. But I won't hold my breath.

My favorite homebrew source port on a console is PS2doom, which lacks music ( I just play my own or keep it creepy quiet) , but plays quite well. So 3DO Doom is quite unnecessary, but I still like the it exists.
...just another lost soul...