Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Gaming on the Apple TV

by casterofdreams Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

Since I became heavily invested into the iOS platform recently with an iPhone I picked up this last Summer and an iPad in the Fall (read: I bought a sit ton of gaming apps), I decided to get myself an Apple TV. I got the 4K model aka the 5th gen version.

While it has a 5 week back order (64GB model) I did get the Steel Series controller first which comes with a code for Minecraft. This got my thinking: since the TV supports an actual controller (sticks aren't clickable which is bazaar), does anyone here have experience with gaming on the Apple TV? How is it? Good selection of games available? Can you run emulators on the thing?
My BTS List: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37219
My 8 Gen portables: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41354
My First Guide: Re-Released games w/DLC (this guide needs work. *UPDATED*): viewtopic.php?f=52&t=44588&p=821770#p821770
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Gaming on the Apple TV

by racketboy Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:53 pm

We use ours for gaming quite regularly.

We use the SteelSeries Nimbus
https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Nimb ... controller

I've been pretty happy with, but there may be better out there.

We primarily play the specular ports of Sonic, Sonic 2, and Sonic CD (best way to play even?) as well as DuckTales Remastered, a few of the Pac-Man titles, Crossy Road, and a few shmups. I'm sure there's probably some way to hack emulators on the thing, but it's not as simple as shopping the App Store for them...

I'd love to see Sega add Apple TV support to more of their games....
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:20 pm

That's the controller I picked up. Feels good in the hand but I think it's odd that the sticks don't click in.

I have to wait about five weeks for the thing to come in so I'm pretty excited to try out some games on it. EAs Real Racing works on it from what I've read so it'll be awesome to play with a proper controller. As for PAC-MAN I didn't know they had a port of the Championship Edition DX on the platform. That supports Apple TV along with Geometry Wars 3. I hope for more devs to bring their games over the the TV.
My First Guide: Re-Released games w/DLC (this guide needs work. *UPDATED*): viewtopic.php?f=52&t=44588&p=821770#p821770
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:46 pm

casterofdreams wrote:That's the controller I picked up. Feels good in the hand but I think it's odd that the sticks don't click in.

I have to wait about five weeks for the thing to come in so I'm pretty excited to try out some games on it. EAs Real Racing works on it from what I've read so it'll be awesome to play with a proper controller. As for PAC-MAN I didn't know they had a port of the Championship Edition DX on the platform. That supports Apple TV along with Geometry Wars 3. I hope for more devs to bring their games over the the TV.

And I didn't know about Geometry Wars! I will pick that one up!
Yeah, there's so much iOS stuff out there yet nobody makes a big deal about Apple TV stuff. They paid games are a great deal for the most part and once you get enough of them you actually have a cost-effective console that is especially kid-friendly.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:14 pm

I agree. I've purchased quite a lot of games on the iOS platform and I like the fact that I'm able to download them on multiple different devices whether it be an iPhone, an iPod touch, an iPad, or lastly an Apple TV. I was in the market for something with a little more "umph" than something like a roku stick for a fire stick.

I looked at the Nvidia Shield. The plus on that is that I can theoretically side install emulators. The only downside is that I wasn't actually invested in the android platform as heavily as I am on the iOS in terms of purchases. So Apple TV made sense.
Return to Other Platforms