Neo Geo memory card with 161 in 1 cartridge

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
PondaBaba

Neo Geo memory card with 161 in 1 cartridge

Post by PondaBaba »

Will a Neo Geo AES memory card work with the 161 in 1 MVS( banana cart)? , using a MVS to AES converter of course.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Neo Geo memory card with 161 in 1 cartridge

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

PondaBaba wrote:Will a Neo Geo AES memory card work with the 161 in 1 MVS( banana cart)? , using a MVS to AES converter of course.

It should; the memory card was designed to be taken between AES at home and MVS in arcades.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I can speak from experience it does, but on the MVS side it does cause an unrelated side effect. If the memory card is in your arcade cabinet (and given the hardware likely AES too) you can not hold the button to jump back to the menu to pick a new game on that cart without removing it first. The 161in1 games are the same basically as far as the hardware is concerned so if the game saves progress or just scores it will do it, and if you bother with a unibios then the added scores and stuff it can back up too.
PondaBaba

Post by PondaBaba »

Ok great, thanks for your responses!! .I am going to try to install a unibios and I will see from there.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Go for it you'll be set. I think I glossed over how you worded that first post, but there really is no such thing as an AES memory card. There's just one memory card and it works on either because the MVS(arcade) and AES(home console) are identical internally. They're the same system. SNK got smart not wanting to lose thousands of dollars on sold games so they redid the gold PINS on both the boards in a different way. The PCBs in the MVS/AES games are basically different with a differing pin set, but the entire set of chips that store all the game content are identical. SNK really was the first one to bring a full true and honest arcade experience home with no compromises. That's why it was a $400 console with $200 cartridge games (and up) when it came out back then.
PondaBaba

Post by PondaBaba »

Yes , you’re right, it is just a Neo Geo memory card. I was using a phantom-1 converter for the 161 banana cart, wasn’t working out to well so I returned it and got a Daedalus converter. Things have been working A LOT better I am also saving any and all progress with the memory card. I think when the games have trouble booting up its not a good idea to keep hitting the reset button instead just power off and then back on. I had my memory card saves all erased doing it that way. Luckily at the time was just a couple title saves. Recently I have acquired an original Metal Slug MVS that looks pretty clean. I started it up a few times with the converter, looks perfect but no sound at all , NONE. Any thoughts?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Not really. Either the game is dirty, the game is damaged, the system pin slots need cleaning, or the daedalus hates it.

The other bit, maybe that converter doesn't play nice with the 161in1 as it is a little buggy on some of the games.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

As I said in another thread, I have a MagicKey converter (so it's not exactly the same), and it has issues with Metal Slug games that work flawlessly on my MVS. I think the converters are just imperfect.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.