Atari XEGS

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Atari XEGS

Post by SpikeSlania »

I been watching a lot of classic game room these days and may have been getting subliminal messages to get an 8bit computer gaming system. As fun as it would be to try importing and tracking down a MSX pc or a Sega, I would really like a Sega SG, but that costs a lot of money and harder to come by. I'm also interested in a Commodore 64 and Amiga, but seeing the Atari XEGS, it sounds like a solid choice. With it being able to play the majority of the Atari 8bit line and being marketed in North America, figured it would be easy to get one and get a good collection for it. That and being able to use a Sega Genesis controller is definitely a bonus. But I really have no idea what games to go for, other then Mario Bros and Hero. Was surprised we didn't have an Atari 8 Bit Guide on Racketboy. Other question is, is the available game library on the XE better then the available gaming library on the Atari 7800? Well, pretty much it's I'm new to Atari gaming, I had a 2600 as a kid before I got a NES, but I don't have any feelings of nostalgia for it or the desire to go through rf adapters again. But I do want to experience some platforms I missed out on since I was a kid, figured Atari should be my next shot.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Atari XEGS

Post by CRTGAMER »

I remember that console with the pastel colored buttons. It had even a less of a following then the 7800 which supports 2600 carts. There is a small dedicated XEGS cart library and the huge existing large library of Atari 400/800 game carts makes worth looking into. Add the Atari floppy drive and many game disks advertised to work as well, though the dedicated add on keyboard would be tricky to find.

XEGS a too late market release; the Atari 8 bit computer software compatibility should have done on the 5200! Out of the huge list below, some of the Atari 400 games (Shamus one of my favorites) have been converted to run on the 5200. Either thru a dedicated Atari 5200 home brew cart or the beautiful Atari Max SD Cart adapter.

Cartridge List (297 Titles) for the Atari 8-bit Computers (400/800/XL/XE Computers)
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210745-cartridge-list-for-the-atari-8-bit-computers-400800xlxe-computers/#entry2727838
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

Well, I did buy a XEGS. I felt like having an even more obscure console then my PC Engine Duo :P I am thinking about getting a complete collection for the XE since there's like what, 20 games? I am currently bidding on an Atari 1050 floppy drive. Then also thinking about looking into a cassette addon. I probably should really look up to find out if it's region free before that since I know most of the Europe's games at the time were on cassettes instead of floppies. There's a lot I need to learn about, hopefully I don't end up trying to learn Basic
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Congrats! Look for Atari 400/800 game carts, you are in for a surprise! See my previous reply link.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

The surprise is now I'm searching on Ebay for Super Zaxxon and finding out it will cost more then Mario Bros for the XE :P
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

IIRC, there was never an official light gun for the 7800. It just uses the XEGS light gun. Because of that, they're in high demand. Be on the lookout for one within bundles.

Jealous of the XEGS! Retro computing is high on my to do list but the space factor scares me. These console/TV versions are always interesting to me.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5