Atariversary

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Atariversary

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

The Atari 2600 is 40 years old today, guys! Who (other than Bone because he's Bone) is going to be giving the old VCS some loving today?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Atariversary

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Oh hell yeah. Already been playing some Fathom. Dug out the old woody beast, as Imagic carts don't play nice with the 7800.

Atari 2600 remains one of the best consoles of all time.

40 years, wow. I still have two consoles that are older though. :lol:
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

I'll add to this. I'll play my Atari plug n play tonight I have the flashback 2
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'm gonna go to my two tried-and-true favorites - River Raid and Chopper Command. I'd put Berzerk up there, but I prefer the Vectrex version.

o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

No time to play this week, but I've had the itch to throw down on HERO lately.

Anyone buy anything new from AtariAge lately? https://www.atariage.com/store/
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

I'll be playing some Asteroids, Berzerk, and Gravitar on my Vader!

8)
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Never been a big Atari fan personally, or any second generation console actually. I do have a plug and play model around the house. I usually just play Yars Revenge or Adventure when I break it out. That said I respect everything that Atari brought to the industry and I still play some of their more modern games like Rollercoaster Tycoon and the PS2 DBZ games.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

strangenova wrote:Never been a big Atari fan personally, or any second generation console actually. I do have a plug and play model around the house. I usually just play Yars Revenge or Adventure when I break it out. That said I respect everything that Atari brought to the industry and I still play some of their more modern games like Rollercoaster Tycoon and the PS2 DBZ games.

There is a lot of the old Atari library that, admittedly, doesn't hold up very well today.

But there are some real classics if you can look past the basic graphics. Asteroids, Missile Command, Yar's Revenge, Berzerk and Gravitar (just as a few examples) are all still fun to play in 2017.

What's really amazing is how smooth the game play is on a 2600. It's easy to take for granted today, but it wasn't the norm in the 2nd Generation consoles/computers. Go watch a Youtube video of an MSX computer game (for example) and watch how choppy/sluggish the game play and scrolling is compared to a similar 2600 game.

Considering the fact that the 2600 wasn't really meant to be much more than a glorified pong/tank machine, it's amazing what they were eventually able to do with it.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Adventure is surprisingly playable even today.