Neo Geo Pocket SD Kit Review/Overview

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Neo Geo Pocket SD Kit Review/Overview

Post by nightrnr »

So I went ahead and ordered a Flashmasta. I just want to put Cotton and a translated game on there to supplement my ngpc carts (assuming 2MB or less).
I do have a few rare carts like Mega Man (battle?) and even an English Faselei (there was a small window of time when they had unused/unreleased NA carts for cheap on ebay like 10 years or so ago).
So I really don't need it to store a bunch of roms. I like the system enough that I needed an option though.
...just another lost soul...
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I got hold of the new Flashmasta with the USB cable the other day. I'll post a review shortly but in the meantime, Tanooki, have you found any good homebrew?

A played a fun but short Pacman variant called 'Dodger' and then stumbled on an amazing version of Bomberman. It has a FMV CG intro (presumably cut from a different Bomberman game) which is something I've never seen on the NGP before (although Cannon Fodder on GBC managed a similar feat). The music and SFX are taken from the Metal Slug Pocket games but the total package is pure Bomberman. Really impressive effort.

There seems to have been a bit of interest in converting 8 bit computer games to the platform too. I found a full version of Manic Miner and Barbarian and tech demos for Uridium and Trailblazer as well as a prototype for an unfinished port of Fantasy World Dizzy.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any active scene right now so most of these games are a decade or more old. Hopefully these new flashcards can inject some life into the scene.
Last edited by Betagam7 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

NO I never could find anything that looked much good. I had plenty of trouble just getting the individual files on stuff I tried because being over a decade old most people didn't want to host it or had dead links. I found that multi that had much/all on it but it won't load on this device just that FlashMasta one.

Whenever they stop delaying or get to finshing that Pocket Rumble game for Nintendo Switch and Steam, the developer is also co-developing a free download of it for the Neo Geo Pocket Color. When that drops I intend to stuff that on my cart.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Tanooki wrote:NO I never could find anything that looked much good. I had plenty of trouble just getting the individual files on stuff I tried because being over a decade old most people didn't want to host it or had dead links. I found that multi that had much/all on it but it won't load on this device just that FlashMasta one.

Whenever they stop delaying or get to finshing that Pocket Rumble game for Nintendo Switch and Steam, the developer is also co-developing a free download of it for the Neo Geo Pocket Color. When that drops I intend to stuff that on my cart.

Oh wow, I didn't know about that. Any plans for a physical release? As for that Multi cart (the one made by Flavor?) It won't load past the menu on mine. Try this page, this is where I've been downloading everything from. You just need to change the file extension from .NGC to .NGP (at least that's how I got them working).

http://www.planetemu.net/roms/snk-neo-g ... lic-domain

The games by 'Thor' and 'Ivan Mackintosh' seem to be the most developed.

I hope these games do work on your cart as the drawback of the flashmasta is only being able to put two games on it at a time, no matter how small, is annoying. It wasn't really conceived with PD in mind...which makes it even odder if PD won't work on the SD kit since it seems perfect for it...
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That does seem strange and I'll check the link once I finish here.

Pocket Rumble is a Switch/Steam download only so the only pseudo physical copy would be the NGPC one if you toss it on a kit.