Cheap Solution to play arcade games

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Re: Cheap Solution to play arcade games

Post by Metal Jesus »

I would assume an OUYA might be a good option for you. Small, outputs to HDMI and has a controller... I bet you could find them used on ebay or craigslist for next to nothing.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

I hadn't even considered an ouya. Isn't an android based device?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Yes it's android skinned, but in the system setup you can get into a more vanilla situation where you can unblock security and side load whatever you basically want to it. While it won't really be happy with touch based android stuff, if you're just after running ROMs and emulators they're all click(dpad) based menus.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Tanooki wrote:Yes it's android skinned, but in the system setup you can get into a more vanilla situation where you can unblock security and side load whatever you basically want to it. While it won't really be happy with touch based android stuff, if you're just after running ROMs and emulators they're all click(dpad) based menus.

Yeah I'm really just after something that is affordable and leaves a small footprint on my entertainment space. Also I don't need it to do anything but run an emulator. I'm only wanting to play arcade games on it. Everything else I pursue legitimate hardware.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Perhaps best to buy a used one of those from a disgruntled owner on ebay, then get a good controller since it if I recall has some sketchy input lag problems even after a few firmware updates. In the end I haven't looked up Ouya but perhaps either way the price would be similar.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Metal Jesus wrote:I would assume an OUYA might be a good option for you. Small, outputs to HDMI and has a controller... I bet you could find them used on ebay or craigslist for next to nothing.

Coincidentally, I was just looking up OUYA on the 'bay yesterday. They're not quite as cheap as you might guess. The supply is as low as the demand is, so the price only dropped a little since release.
nightrnr wrote:Yeah, pi is a good option. As Tanooki stated, there is less to wear out, as opposed to older systems and PC's.
I totally want to do what another member did recently and put one in a Playstation housing.

But personally, I enjoy repurposing older electronics, so making an Xbox or obsolete pc into a retro arcade appeals to me more.

I can respect this. An old PC isn't a bad option... if you can track down an old enough MAME romset. A modern implementation of MAME takes a surprisingly robust PC. No problem, right? Just use an older version of MAME, right? Hold on... there's not too many places where you can find an older romset compatible with the older versions of MAME. You basically would have to make friends with someone who set up MAME on his PC ten years ago. Finding the old versions of MAME is easy enough; finding the old romsets is tough.

There's also the issue of electrical consumption. An old PC uses significantly more electricity than a modern android device.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

samsonlonghair wrote:I can respect this. An old PC isn't a bad option... if you can track down an old enough MAME romset. A modern implementation of MAME takes a surprisingly robust PC. No problem, right? Just use an older version of MAME, right? Hold on... there's not too many places where you can find an older romset compatible with the older versions of MAME. You basically would have to make friends with someone who set up MAME on his PC ten years ago. Finding the old versions of MAME is easy enough; finding the old romsets is tough.

The system requirements I've seen aren't that high end at this point. Obviously, yes, you're not looking at digging out an old Pentium II for the task at this point, but you can find refurb business class machines that'd meet the Core 2/4GB/etc requirements in say the $80-150 range, likely in a small form factor not much different than an X-box, and that's online via Amazon or Newegg.

Does potentially mean that very low end new Windows machines may not meet spec for MAME though. The $100-150 range type I mean, which are often 2GB of RAM or so. However, there are quite suitable book size PCs that can dip down to that level, or be had in the mid $200s anyway.

A Pi3 is still cheaper, quieter, lower power, etc though. So like you mentioned, that can be a significant angle for using a mobile/embedded style device.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I guess you and I have slightly different ideas of what "old computer" means. I was thinking of something one might dig out of the old supply closet for free, not something one would pay $80-150 for.

Yeah, I'm kind of a cheapskate.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Well, that's also why I explained where that pricing range came from. :lol:

Computers that meet the system requirements could range back to 2006 or so, which easily puts them in the category of "could get for free" as well, or for cheap at the thrift store/etc. Kinda like your Mac Pros you got. The potential to get them for next to nothing is there, but what you can reliably go find one for online for may be a bit different.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I'll add that newer versions of MAME sometimes also add/delete old files inside the ROM packages and even romset names change between versions as different boards/regions are added to an existing game. It's a bit of a challenge even for me, a MAME expert to keep up with the changes! That's why it's a good thing to get the latest mameinfo.dat file and add it to your frontend, the changes between versions are explained there, as well as find sites with the up to date sets.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.