Starpath Supercharger

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Starpath Supercharger

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

So I've a morbid curiosity about this obscure Atari 2600 add-on, and I've often considered trying to hunt one down (mainly just to be able to say that I own a game called Communist Mutants from Space), but since I know we have a few other Atari 2600 lovers here (looking at you, Bone), I figured I'd ask - does anyone have or has anyone played a Starpath Supercharger?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Starpath Supercharger

Post by CRTGAMER »

I own the Starpath since it came out, a couple of the cassette games including Phaser Patrol Packin and a maybe a couple others (the 3d maze Mindmaster I think) somewhere? I also own the very obscure Store Kiosk Demo "cartridge" which has demos and video info on the Starpath.

The tapes take just a bit to load, the graphics do improve a little bit. There is also a homebrew Stella Gets A Brain "Music" CD filled with data of all the games.

Due to this reminder Thread, now downloading both the audio MP3s (for Starpath) and Roms (for emulation). Just played one of the MP3's, oh man AOL dial up sounds all over again! :lol:

Metal Jesus Starpath Supercharger Post - viewtopic.php?p=886440#p886440
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Don't have one. Really want one. The most important game for it is the great Dragonstomper, which plays like a primitive JRPG.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the games are inserted into the Starpath Supercharger itself. The Supercharger is simply a RAM expander and you'll need your own cassette player. I suppose the Tandy one I have could work.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Don't have one. Really want one. The most important game for it is the great Dragonstomper, which plays like a primitive JRPG.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the games are inserted into the Starpath Supercharger itself. The Supercharger is simply a RAM expander and you'll need your own cassette player. I suppose the Tandy one I have could work.

THIS. Or an MP3 player, see my post above.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Don't have one. Really want one. The most important game for it is the great Dragonstomper, which plays like a primitive JRPG.

Woah. I didn't know about that part. So how does the cassette player thing work? I assumed you plugged the cassettes into the system and the system into the Atari. I'm now thoroughly confused. :?:
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

System goes into Atari cart slot. It also has a cord that connects to cassette player.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I know many swear by the far superior port of Frogger that came out on the Supercharger, not that the Parker Brothers version was inferior.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Can the Harmony cart play Supercharger games, does anyone know? Either the original Harmony (which I have) or the upgraded Harmony Encore?

I imagine Atariage would be able to tell me, but as usual I'm posting from work, where Racket is not blocked and everything else is
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

KalessinDB wrote:Can the Harmony cart play Supercharger games, does anyone know? Either the original Harmony (which I have) or the upgraded Harmony Encore?

I imagine Atariage would be able to tell me, but as usual I'm posting from work, where Racket is not blocked and everything else is

No the cassette games feed audio signals to the Supercharger which also have been converted to MP3 or CD music tracks that I posted earlier. However (also posted earlier), there are Starpath converted rom A26 files that work with Emulators and the Harmony Cart.

KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

CRTGAMER wrote:No the cassette games feed audio signals to the Supercharger which also have been converted to MP3 or CD music tracks that I posted earlier. However (also posted earlier), there are Starpath converted rom A26 files that work with Emulators and the Harmony Cart.

So you say no and then you say yes ;) I knew it was an audio dealy and I knew about Stella Gets A New Brain, however I did miss the fact that you mentioned roms for emulation.

My question was more "If I put the converted roms on the Harmony cart, will they work?" because I know sometimes things that work in emulation dont work on real hardware/flash carts (Exhibit A: 99% of the Mario64 hacks). And it's sounding like the answer is Yes.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread