bought some Neo Geo MVS Carts , can you guys authenticate ?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
s8n
128-bit

bought some Neo Geo MVS Carts , can you guys authenticate ?

Post by s8n »

hi RB members , i bought about 30 Neo Geo MVS Carts last year and i want to open them up and check if they are boots.

any of you guys able to authenticate them if i post photos ?

im thinking i will do this sometime in Feb

chat soon
Kidpanda
64-bit

Re: bought some Neo Geo MVS Carts , can you guys authenticat

Post by Kidpanda »

Go here, if your boards don't look like this or have Eproms outside of a select few games, i.e. Puzzle Bobble or Bust A Move, then it's a boot.

http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

The Korean games have eproms as well iirc. But yeah, just match them to MVS scans and you're in business.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Huh. Interesting site and a good resource.

Do people even bother to boot the $20-$30 Neo Geo games though? Cuz that's about all I ever buy. :lol:
s8n
128-bit

Post by s8n »

hi guys thanks for the replies , i have opened a couple of Carts and one of them from memory was slightly different to the scans on http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page

there were Toshiba EPROMS and the SNK logo on the PCB but some of the roms had different numbers on them , what do you guys think of this situation ?
Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Huh. Interesting site and a good resource.

Do people even bother to boot the $20-$30 Neo Geo games though? Cuz that's about all I ever buy. :lol:

You gotta remember, these games didn't use to be 20-30 dollars. When an operator had a chance to get a good title for sub 400 bucks, you bet he would most likely do it. I could fill a pretty big post about operators back in the day.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Interesting. I suppose I assumed the bootlegs were more of a modern-day thing - eBay scammers and the like.
Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Interesting. I suppose I assumed the bootlegs were more of a modern-day thing - eBay scammers and the like.

most of the boot mvs stuff on ebay is mostly sellers feigning ignorance.
AES bootlegs on the other hand....thats a gold mine for unsavory types right now.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

s8n wrote:hi guys thanks for the replies , i have opened a couple of Carts and one of them from memory was slightly different to the scans on http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page

there were Toshiba EPROMS and the SNK logo on the PCB but some of the roms had different numbers on them , what do you guys think of this situation ?

If it's not Puzzle Bobble or one of the Korean games, and it doesn't match that site, it's likely (though not 100% guaranteed) a boot.

The good news is, most boots play just fine so if you're only concerned with playing them rather than the collection/reselling aspect, there's no real worries.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
s8n
128-bit

Post by s8n »

hi guys , what i might do is use the Scans to compare and any funky ones i will post them on Neo Geo.com to see what they think over there.

thanks for all the help members