Looking for arcade purchasing tips.

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
econoemu
16-bit

Looking for arcade purchasing tips.

Post by econoemu »

Hi everyone! I am currently looking for tips on finding and purchasing an arcade cabinet, notably a Neo Geo MVS(4 or 6 slot).

So far what I've been doing is searching on google and checking Craigslist for arcade cabinets in my area and that isn't netting me much for a "reasonable price" or a non sketchy links. Most of the finds are retailers that want to charge upwards of 2k for this specific search (what I've read, 700 is a decent price to pick one up, this could and most likely is wrong as it was posts from around a year ago).

Any tips to help me in my search would be greatly appreciated! Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place.
Adventure!
Kidpanda
64-bit

Re: Looking for arcade purchasing tips.

Post by Kidpanda »

Lately the price of cabs in general have gone up, most people think their trash is worth gold. Just keep a lookout, and have fun falling down the rabbit hole.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Yeah, patience. My buddy paid $800 for a Goldie because he was impatient. I got a 4 slot big red for $420 at an arcade auction, and of the 3 that sold mine was the most expensive (IMO because it was the nicest)

Wish they would have another one of those auctions... It was nice.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
econoemu
16-bit

Post by econoemu »

I figured time was the biggest key. I look forward to the day when I have an MVS and a Splatterhouse cab sitting in my living room. If I gonna dream, I'm gonna dream big!
Adventure!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Craigslist or forums. Auctions use to be the best way to buy cabs - a decade ago you could still get big reds for around $100, but times have changed. The last coin op auction I went to a one slot neogeo went for over 1k and a two seat Fast and the Furious went for 5k (I had seen them for 4k at retail at the time).

If you can get a big red with a good monitor, everything else can be swapped out for cheap enough, if you are willing to piecemeal it over time. The last big red I had (which Ack has now), I had to swap out the speakers, mainboard*, and one of the ics for the credit counter. Not hard work, just time consuming.

*that board had an error code that at the time was considered unfixable. Even after doing all the fixes people suggested, I had to get a new board.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

I got mine via Craigslist so patience is definitely part of the equation and watch out for the good deals. I paid about $500 for mine which included two games as well.
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
econoemu
16-bit

Post by econoemu »

Thanks everyone for the input! I'm in no hurry, the hunt is the best part I think.
Adventure!
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

i know of a six slot for sale in Indianapolis, actually.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
econoemu
16-bit

Post by econoemu »

aaron wrote:i know of a six slot for sale in Indianapolis, actually.

Oh? While that might be one heck of a road trip about(8hrs one way), you have peeked my interest friend.
Adventure!