NGPC Master List - Writers Needed

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: NGPC Master List - Writers Needed

Post by alienjesus »

marurun wrote:These can be made unlimited in length, and when the link joins two matching colored blocks (or groups of blocks together) they will disappear.

Thanks for the edits. They look good for the most part, but the above sentence should definitely read 'when the link joins two matching colored blocks (or groups of blocks) together, they will disappear' or else it doesn't make sense. The word 'Together' can optionally be removed completely, but it probably shouldnt be in the brackets.
marurun

Post by marurun »

You are correct. That error was in the original and I missed it when editing.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Crush Roller Pocket
ADK, 1999
Puzzle, rated E

This pocket remake of the 1981 arcade game is a variant of the top down maze puzzle game genre popularized by Pac-Man. The twist here is that instead of navigating the maze to collect items, you play a paintbrush attempting to paint the floor of the maze in it's entirety, an action achieved by simply moving your character around its various corridors.
This pocket iteration of the game features branching paths that allow the player to select from two or three alternatives each time they finish a stage. Depending on which route the player selects, different stages become available for selection. There are five worlds each containing five possible stages, making for a total of 25 stages.
As well as painting the maze, players must navigate and avoid the monsters that bring instant death upon contact. As with Pac-Man, these monsters can be temporarily disabled by using the paint rollers found in each stage to send your paintbrush flying forwards, “Crushing” them in the process. Unlike Pac-Man the maze exists on more than one level with sections that overlap, passing over and under other parts of the maze.
Each stage also features its own resident “Ojama”. These quirky characters will randomly appear and cause a nuisance for the player by leaving their footprints in the paint, leading to the necessity of repainting those sections of the maze. Ojama can be “captured” by the paintbrush if it runs over them. Successfully capturing one will add it to a collectible card collection that can be viewed from the game’s main menu. While this Ojama collection does not add anything to the gameplay, it is a feature that adds replay as to capture every Ojama will necessitate the player seeking out and exploring all 25 stages.
Beating a stage unlocks a time trial mode that can be accessed from the menu. The game also features 2 player link-up with the objective being to see who can clear the maze in the quickest time.
Like Pac-Man, Crush Roller was initially bundled with the “Cross Ring” peripheral which restricts the NGPC’s joystick to four way movement.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I trimmed it down a little to minimize wordiness and tried to remove some of the passive-tense.

Crush Roller Pocket
ADK, 1999
Puzzle, rated E

This pocket remake of the 1981 arcade game is a variant of the top-down maze game genre popularized by Pac-Man. The twist here is that instead of navigating the maze to collect items, you play a paintbrush attempting to paint the floor of the maze in it's entirety, achieved by simply moving your character around its various corridors. Crush Roller Pocket features branching paths that allow the player to select from two or three alternate routes each time they finish a stage. Depending on which route the player selects, different stages become available. There are five worlds each containing five possible stages, making for a total of 25 stages.

While painting the maze, players must avoid monsters that bring instant death upon contact. As with Pac-Man, these monsters can be temporarily disabled by using the paint rollers found in each stage to send your paintbrush flying forwards, crushing them in the process. Unlike Pac-Man, the maze exists on more than one level with sections that overlap, passing over and under other parts of the maze. Each stage also features its own resident Ojama. These quirky characters randomly appear and cause trouble for the player by leaving their footprints in the paint, requiring the player repaint those sections of the maze. Ojama can be captured by running over them with the paint brush. Successfully capturing one adds it to a card collection that can be viewed from the game’s main menu. Capturing every Ojama necessitates seeking out and exploring all 25 stages.

Beating a stage unlocks a time trial mode accessible from the menu. The game also features 2-player link-up with the objective being to see who can clear the maze in the quickest time. Like Pac-Man, Crush Roller was initially bundled with the Cross Ring peripheral which restricts the NGPC’s joystick to four way movement.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

^though that's really good (and informative) we probably need to have it pruned a bit more to match the rest of the blurbs. Ack's original post asks for a single paragraph so this one is substantially longer than the others.

I've been playing Metal Slug 1st this week, so I'll get that done ASAP and if nobody else wants it I'll do Match Of The Millenium after that.
marurun

Post by marurun »

noiseredux wrote:^though that's really good (and informative) we probably need to have it pruned a bit more to match the rest of the blurbs. Ack's original post asks for a single paragraph so this one is substantially longer than the others.

I've been playing Metal Slug 1st this week, so I'll get that done ASAP and if nobody else wants it I'll do Match Of The Millenium after that.

I'll do a private trim and PM betagam to see if they are OK with it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
marurun

Post by marurun »

Hey folks, would love to see this thread pick up again. We have a couple rewrites requested and more titles to add.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Edit away. I will just try to provide as much info as I can, probably not very concisely and you can decide what matters. :)

Also, I have both Dive Alert games now so can do them at some point.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ok folks, where are we on this? Do we have any still undergoing editing? Is it time for a new round? Does noise want to cover Match of the Millennium?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ack wrote:Does noise want to cover Match of the Millennium?

sure! It's fresh in my head.