How's your TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine Going on

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: How's your TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine Going on

Post by Sarge »

Xeogred wrote:Who doesn't? Altered Beast, Ghouls n' Ghosts, and Golden Axe were my introduction to the Genesis. Still love them, even though I suck at every single installment of Ghouls n' Ghosts outside of Super.

I actually didn't experience those games on the Genesis. I had two friends with a Genesis, but they didn't have any of those games. I remember being wowed by Altered Beast in the arcade, though. I got to play at a Pizza Hut. Golden Axe got played in that town's skating rink (along with Rastan).

Of course, I finally got to them when I got my own Genesis in... 1999. Yes, right when the Dreamcast came out. :) (Well, actually, a little before that, 'cause emulation.)

I've gotten near the end of Ghouls 'N' Ghosts. I should give it another go after playing the mess out of Super. I can actually legitimately claim to be good at that game now! :)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Then I had other neighbors where I discovered Shinobi 3 and Streets of Rage 2... can't deny the difference in quality with those, they rocked my world and are still some of my top favorites to this day.

But yeah, Altered Beast and the Golden Axe trilogy are awesome bad, I'll always have a soft spot for them.
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

Xeogred wrote:Who doesn't? Altered Beast, Ghouls n' Ghosts, and Golden Axe were my introduction to the Genesis. Still love them, even though I suck at every single installment of Ghouls n' Ghosts outside of Super.

Ghouls n' Ghosts is one of the few reasons I might ever consider trying to pick up a Super Grafx. Though saying few doesn't help much with their being only 5 games for the thing and 2 games that get upgraded features if played on it.
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Man, that AAA is a scrub.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I always get happy when the default high score suck. Makes me feel like I'm at least somewhat competent at video games.
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

Just got my PC Engine Duo back after being modded. Finally got around to sending it out :P Was testing it out and had to do a double take to make sure I was running the original hardware with the way better resolution.
Attachments
pc engine duo.jpg
pc engine duo.jpg (26.87 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I just got hold of three new games.

Afterburner II which seems to be a better than average port and two UPL games, Gomola Speed and Atomic Robo Kid Special.

Gomola Speed is an interesting mix of Snake and (oddly) Gauntlet and the main character also shows up as an enemy in Atomic Robo Kid with other UPL characters also making an appearance in both for some neat continuity.

Atomic Robo Kid's controls took some getting used to initially until I realised that holding down the II button keeps you locked in one direction. It feels like a game that would benefit from playing on an arcade stick. Is there a recommended one for the PC engine?
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Just got me a turbo express cheap today. Now that I have my everdrive I'm good to go
marurun

Post by marurun »

The Turbo Stick is nearly identical in performance to the NES Advantage. The best stick is probably a custom one and those aren't cheap. But here's a list of controllers to scan through in case you want to go hunting on eBay.

http://www.pc-engine.co.uk/?section=controllers
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.