Have you played ATARI today!!!

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Have you played an ATARI today!!!

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I can't vouch for the homebrews specifically, but Frenzy, Moon Cresta, Rip-Off, and Scramble were great games in the arcade. If you don't already own them in another format I'd say check 'em out.
Cafeman
8-bit

Post by Cafeman »

mas wrote:Does anyone know or have those 7800 home brew games you see on Atari age

I bought several 7800 homebrews and play them more than anything in the original library (I do love to play the awesome Food Fight however!) Stuff like B*nQ, Pac-Man Collection, Donkey Kong PK, Dungeon Stalker (using AtariVOX), Berzerk/Frenzy, and a couple more. I've played mostly all of them as ROMS too via emulation. They are the real deal and make the 7800 far more fun. They aren't dirt cheap like most of those original-era games, but you get very nice box / cart labels with them.
Last edited by Cafeman on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I'm a little bit late here, but the only thing that really caught my attention on the 5200 was the improved terrain and the Red balloons in River Raid. I choose to believe that the upgrade to the game inspired the new marshmallows in Lucky Charms cereal.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Bought a couple Atari games today.

A certain one caught my eye in the store. The only text was on the end label - no copyright info, no release year, no publisher name. What could this be??? Some prototype, a homebrew, something super rare? I purchased the game and excitedly checked eBay when I got home.

And the game is......... one of the accursed Canadian Zellers titles! The first one to enter my collection, in fact. Yay?
Cafeman
8-bit

Post by Cafeman »

I have been in an Atari mood lately, so I'll add another comment of what I played this past weekend.

Atari 2600 Reactor, Ms Pac-Man, Defender, Asteroids, and homebrew Space Treat
Atari 7800 Pac-Man Collection, Berzerk and Frenzy, B*nq, Donkey Kong PK (all homebrews); and Fast Food and Asteroids too. I am not a fan of the 7800 stock controller and usually plug in a Genesis controller, if the game works with it (some act goofy and reset though).
Atari 5200 K-Razy Shootout, because that's our HSC forum's game this week.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:And the game is......... one of the accursed Canadian Zellers titles! The first one to enter my collection, in fact. Yay?

Rad. I am very jealous. Nice finds, Bone.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I figured you had a full set of those. :wink:

This is the game I got:
https://atariage.com/software_page.php? ... abelID=519
As you may have guessed, it's essentially identical to Circus Atari.
Cafeman
8-bit

Post by Cafeman »

Since the idea for a 5200 Reactor was mentioned, I dug around. Here is the Atari 5200 work-in-progress screen I made for Reactor. Its in Antic4 graphics mode, a very common/popular redefined-character mode. You can see it still needs some alignment work. This isn't a demo or a game which I intend to actually finish but you can get an idea of what it could look like on 5200.
Attachments
REACTOR2.png
REACTOR2.png (9.82 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Played some Atari 2600 games. Using the 2600 jr system and played some missle command, pacman, galaxian and dig dug also megamania. Spent almost 45 min playing those games. Very addictive
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Cafeman wrote:Since the idea for a 5200 Reactor was mentioned, I dug around. Here is the Atari 5200 work-in-progress screen I made for Reactor. Its in Antic4 graphics mode, a very common/popular redefined-character mode. You can see it still needs some alignment work. This isn't a demo or a game which I intend to actually finish but you can get an idea of what it could look like on 5200.

Looks like a good start! Fingers crossed you'll go back and finish the game one day with a tease. Perhaps custom code the game, you could add simultaneous two player mode supporting two 5200 Trakballs. Maybe even add unique levels that include the bounce rooms in different locations? Imagine a secondary room attached to the first one for bonus points when entering with your cursor.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425