Have you played ATARI today!!!

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Have you played ATARI today!!!

Post by CRTGAMER »

mas wrote:Played some 7800 the other day with my son. For some reason I like playing the 7800 version of centipede and galaga. Both are good ports and I like how slow the ships are in galaga. Gives you more to really hit the enemies

You should try 5200 Centipede with the arcade regulation sized 5200 Trakball. I also have a Wico Trakball and Atari Trakball both made for the 2600, should give it a run on 7800 Centipede. It will not be the quick analog response of the 5200 version, but should improve the 7800 version gameplay.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

I will once I get a 5200. I gotta get one
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I find it odd on PS4 the Atari collections are just 50 games each. Ok yeah 50 is a lot but you could fit every Atari 2600-7800 game on 1 disc with room for a documentary. I kinda want to get them but I dunno. Feels like they could have added more.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

Segata wrote:I find it odd on PS4 the Atari collections are just 50 games each. Ok yeah 50 is a lot but you could fit every Atari 2600-7800 game on 1 disc with room for a documentary. I kinda want to get them but I dunno. Feels like they could have added more.

It's not that many games, but they are well done with multiple visual filter options available.

Also, the arcade games kind of steal the show on these discs if you ask me. Especially the global leaderboards...
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

5200 Wizard Of Wor - CBS Electronics - BookOff $5.00
As an owner of the Atari 5200 4 port since bought brand new, I watch for any games for it sometimes forgetting if I already have a title or not. 2600 game carts are more common then 5200 carts. This even more true for third party 5200 carts especially of a TV Studio making games, nice that decades later one can still find a game in a local store and inexpensive for the obscure console.

Moby Games wrote:http://www.mobygames.com/company/cbs-electronics

CBS Electronics was a short-lived video game division of CBS Toys/Gabriel Industries founded in 1982 by CBS Inc. to market video games domestically and internationally. In the U.S., CBS Electronics was primarily known for their ports of several arcade games for the Atari 2600 and 5200 systems. CBS Electronics was also responsible for the Columbia House Video Game Club through their parent company, CBS, Inc. Through the club, CBS sold an Atari 2600-compatible system called the Columbia Home Arcade (which was actually a re-branded Coleco Gemini). The club offered a range of games for the Atari 2600 by not only CBS and Coleco, but many other companies as well.

Outside the U.S., CBS Electronics was known primarily for their marketing of games by Coleco. CBS manufactured and distributed the ColecoVision system and its games in Europe, Australia, and elsewhere. They also marketed Coleco's games for the Atari 2600 VCS and Intellivision systems in these same territories. CBS Electronics enjoyed some early success, but in late 1983 the video game industry began to crash, and CBS abruptly pulled the plug on their video game division.

CBS Electronics Game Releases
Pitstop II (1984)
Jumpman Junior (1984)
WarGames (1984)
Dunjonquest: Temple of Apshai (1984)
Gateway to Apshai (1984)
Mountain King (1983)
K-Razy Shoot-Out (1983)
Omega Race (1983)
Pepper II (1983)
Tunnel Runner (1983)
Donkey Kong (1983)
Mouse Trap (1983)
Solar Fox (1983)
Frenzy (1983)
Blueprint (1983)
Wizard of Wor (1982)
Gorf (1982)
ImageImage
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

so i guess im going to start collecting for the 7800. i got a small lot off ebay. i did the av composite mod and ran the pokey audio wire just now and i'm happy with the results. one of the games i have is pole position 2 and i could have sworn it had engine noise, while driving around the track, when i tested the system with RF. the other 3 games it came with, the audio seems fine. pole position 2 has audio on startup and when crashing, none while driving. is that not right?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

stickem wrote:so i guess im going to start collecting for the 7800. i got a small lot off ebay. i did the av composite mod and ran the pokey audio wire just now and i'm happy with the results. one of the games i have is pole position 2 and i could have sworn it had engine noise, while driving around the track, when i tested the system with RF. the other 3 games it came with, the audio seems fine. pole position 2 has audio on startup and when crashing, none while driving. is that not right?

7800 Pole Position has the engine sound while driving though not very prominent in the pitch. Since you do hear some sounds, the composite audio mod not the issue. Based on this link, only official games Ball Blazer and Commando have a pokey chip. Atari Age released some decent home brews that also use the chip.

Oh and if you have Robotron, check out the 7800 Twinstick Coupler post.
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1123340#p1123340
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Funny thing is I get the engine noise from cars I pass lol. I guess it's just the cart.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

stickem wrote:Funny thing is I get the engine noise from cars I pass lol. I guess it's just the cart.

Possibly an earlier revision cart? However, my Pole Position II cart came with my 7800 bought brand new in 1986, the first year of the nation wide release. The console case has a sticker showing 1985 production date. The car noise not that loud, but it can be heard when pressing the fire "gas pedal" button.

If I remember correctly, my Atari 7800 required the TV volume to be turned up BEFORE I added the Composite mod. However, now I am thinking with my Revision A PCB; the audio attenuation was louder on RF vs the Composite mod. Compared to say a DVD player hookup, the 7800 is quieter requiring the TV volume to be turned up which causes background hum.

I have placed an order for a low level line amp for increasing the attenuation to the RCA audio input of the TV. I'll first test on my old boom box to be sure to avoid any damage risk to the TV. Though an obscure item different from phono preamps, headphone and regular amps; there are a couple of line level amps that specifically kicks up the RCA attenuation.

The volume on the amp will be set at zero when first powering the console on. This especially critical for the Ball Blazer cart which has the loud built in pokey chip. I'll post the results back in my 7800 mod post. I fixed the tight cart slot, such an easy fix. 8)

Atari 7800 Composite Mod - Tight Cart Slot Fix - viewtopic.php?p=1078108#p1078108

Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I picked up a boxed Flashback 8 at the local fleamarket for around $20. This is my first time playing Atari, although I'm vaguely familiar with many of the games.

I played Adventure last night and beat the first easy quest. I like many of the things it introduces like the fog of war. Cleverly done on such a minimalist display.

I've also been playing a lot of Aquaventure which I'm finding weirdly addicting. I tried the Swordquest games but I can't figure out what I am supposed to do. Secret Quest an Hero are also good fun.