Have you played ATARI today!!!

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Re: Have you played an ATARI today!!!

Post by ApolloBoy »

Worth nothing that Cafeman is the author of Koffi Yellow Kopter which is one of the best homebrews on the 5200. You can still get it from the AtariAge store if anyone's interested.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Cafeman wrote:Here's a link to my now-ancient homage site to the Atari 5200 Supersystem, where I tried to expound on my love and nostalgia of the system. You kind of had to be there back in the day to see the red-hot awesomeness of the system's games compared to other consoles. But I still play it with original equipment and in emulation quite often.

Just like there has never been a substitute for what you get when playing Atari 2600 Kaboom and Circus Atari with actual paddle controllers, there was nothing like playing Space Dungeon and Robotron with twin sticks, and analog control in Missile Command and Centipede with the trak-ball controller. Tempest (released a few years back at AtariAge ) is an awesomely fun conversion, and again - with analog control. Also 5200 had great arcade conversions at the time, far better than 2600's watered down ports.

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/atari5200.html

Based on the Quote below, are you programming any more games? One game that can really make good use of the beautiful 5200 Trakball is the Arcade game REACTOR which saw only a 2600 console release.

ApolloBoy wrote:Worth nothing that Cafeman is the author of Koffi Yellow Kopter which is one of the best homebrews on the 5200. You can still get it from the AtariAge store if anyone's interested.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

So I've thought about it and I'm posting my Atari 2600 and 5200 here for sale. I'm keeping the 7800 since that's really all I need
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

mas wrote:So I've thought about it and I'm posting my Atari 2600 and 5200 here for sale. I'm keeping the 7800 since that's really all I need

Before you lock into one console, maybe hit up Atari Age which lists all Atari carts with rarity, reviews and screenshots. The 7800 gives you the biggest Library due to both 7800 and 2600 support.

However, as an owner of all three systems, I prefer playing 2600 games on the original wood grain 2600 console due to a much more robust cart port. The original console with metal support inside is real solid compared to the marginal tight "flex" cart slot of the 2600jr and 7800 console.

The 5200 on the other hand is solid built other then the bad controllers. Still, the 5200 has by far the best sound chip of the three systems. Plus with the non center potentiometer joystick that many detest, certain games have additional control such as multi speed control in Galaxian and Space Invaders. Star Raiders and Ball Blazer are so perfect with that pot joystick; a feather touch "float" control to maneuver around without fighting any centering springs is so sweet.

Keep the 5200 if for just one game STAR RAIDERS. There is a 2600 version though no where as "authentic" as the 5200 version recoded from the Atari 800 computer.

Metal Jesus wrote:Star Raiders was so epic back in the day! The closest thing to commanding your own Starship Enterprise!

ImageImage

There is the 5200 keypad to consider too adding a "PC Keyboard" gameplay element! Unlike the number key add on for the 2600, built in up front automatically increased the amount of games in the 5200 library to utilize the keys if needed.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

@CRTGAMER:
Thank you for the feedback I got from you but with all respect to you, I ask the question why do I want to keep it and here are my thoughts on this.
First,
I now have coin ops 7 with my xbox so games I want as arcade I own them. Grant it there is charm and nostalgia to playing them for the Atari consoles but I don't need 3 atari's to play the same games I own on other systems.
Second,
Since I have now 9 consoles I think, I want to slim down. I have only the 2600 and the 7800 because my closets friends when they come over want to play games like pitfall and river raid. No exclusives or games like alien brigade on the 7800. They only play games they remember and for them to enjoy while they are here. That was also the reason why I got the master system just because I got a good deal and one of my friends had it as a kid.
Third,
My Only collecting moments are the master system in which I'm thinking of just an everdrive since I've seen the prices INFLATE so much and game gear. I'm pretty much fading out of having or trying to collect every console. Hell I might be even tossing the dreamcast and Saturn.
See the only consoles I ever play or have my friends play is
nes
snes
genesis
master system
intellivision just because of one friend had it
and Atari 2600/7800
N64
They either grew up on it or had it as a kid so that's why I'm just staying with those. There is one other system I need to get but I feel the tg16 and the overdrive I don't have 200.00 to get them.
So That's how I feel on this. If I keep them then I'm going to want more and more. I've already spent enough on the 5200 with more games I've added and I cant keep doing this since I own a house. That's also why I'm getting done or pretty much saying the hell with it and everdrive the master system
Cafeman
8-bit

Post by Cafeman »

CRTGAMER wrote:Based on the Quote below, are you programming any more games? One game that can really make good use of the beautiful 5200 Trakball is the Arcade game REACTOR which saw only a 2600 console release.

5200 Reactor would be really cool, and since I'm a fan of the coin-op original and the 2600 version, I must admit already starting a "Reactor 2" project once for 5200/A8. But let me be honest, if somebody programmed one, I'd buy it, but right now I lack the motivation and time to do it myself. To me, its a lot more fun to invent new games than to create ports. And there's always the legal C&D issue when using existing IP's for a homebrew game that is sold.

I have been slowly tinkering with a couple original 5200/A8 ideas (here's a link to a few blog entries - http://atariage.com/forums/blog/blog-61 ... whats-next ) but like I wrote, I'm slow! The next thing I will release from AA will likely be the A8 version of Adventure II. It's like 99% done but I'm dragging my feet again. (The 5200 version was published way back in 2007. )

EDIT - tell me what games would you guys wish to see homebrewed for Atari 5200? Who knows...
Cafeman
8-bit

Post by Cafeman »

ApolloBoy wrote:Worth nothing that Cafeman is the author of Koffi Yellow Kopter which is one of the best homebrews on the 5200. You can still get it from the AtariAge store if anyone's interested.

Hey, thanks dude!!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Cafeman wrote:5200 Reactor would be really cool, and since I'm a fan of the coin-op original and the 2600 version, I must admit already starting a "Reactor 2" project once for 5200/A8. But let me be honest, if somebody programmed one, I'd buy it, but right now I lack the motivation and time to do it myself. To me, its a lot more fun to invent new games than to create ports. And there's always the legal C&D issue when using existing IP's for a homebrew game that is sold.

I have been slowly tinkering with a couple original 5200/A8 ideas (here's a link to a few blog entries - http://atariage.com/forums/blog/blog-61 ... whats-next ) but like I wrote, I'm slow! The next thing I will release from AA will likely be the A8 version of Adventure II. It's like 99% done but I'm dragging my feet again. (The 5200 version was published way back in 2007. )

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/atari5200.html

Thanks for the Reply, love your Web Page! 2600 Reactor for its limitations is still pretty good. In Mame I would insert coins and 2600 crash into barrier just to enjoy the rock track. Shame Parker Brothers never released a 5200 version, ah well.

How far did you code that Reactor 2, working demo or any screenshots? Perhaps with Atari Age blessing and if you was to pursue it again at a later date? There have been homebrew recoding of other defunct Arcade games.

Cafeman
8-bit

Post by Cafeman »

Atari 5200 Reactor 2 - the only thing I did was figure out which graphics mode I'd use, think about the collision and sprite (players & missiles) useage, and play around designing the screen using my Antic4 application, and other notes. I produced no demo, although it probably would not be a lot of work to produce a 'level 1' demo. My design was a bit of a 'sequel' not straight port. I probably still have the notes in a folder somewhere. It wasn't a lot of changes, however. The 5200's Pokey chip could truly do justice to the coin-op's music, but I might need help with that aspect.

To be honest, I lose interest in stuff, so I kind of feed off of the retro community's enthusiasm. If people were more interested in 5200 Reactor than my original ideas, I just might switch projects. I dont' want to get your hopes up though. :)
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Does anyone know or have those 7800 home brew games you see on Atari age