Turbographx PAL Usable in US?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Stacky21

Turbographx PAL Usable in US?

Post by Stacky21 »

So, I live in the US and played TG16 when I was a kid so I wanted to search and find one to buy now. I searched around on eBay and found one that did NOT say 'not for USA'. So I come to find I bought a PAL version.....can I play this, if I get a US ac adapter?
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Re: Turbographx PAL Usable in US?

Post by ApolloBoy »

The video output will be in PAL so unless you have a PVM or multisystem TV, it's not going to work out. Honestly the PAL TurboGrafx is really just nothing more than a collector's item these days, so if you're interested in getting into the system I'd recommend getting a PC Engine Core Grafx or even a Duo-R. Japanese systems aren't compatible with American HuCards unless you use a converter or mod your system, but the PC Engine's library is far better than the TG-16's so you're not missing out on a whole lot.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
Stacky21

Post by Stacky21 »

If I have a multi system tv, can I use this system with an ac adapter?
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

Stacky21 wrote:If I have a multi system tv, can I use this system with an ac adapter?

Yes, but then you have the problem of games running too slow since the European TurboGrafx runs at 50 Hz. Again, I highly recommend you ignore the European system and go after a PCE instead.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
Stacky21

Post by Stacky21 »

Thanks for the info!
kikenovic
8-bit

Post by kikenovic »

ApolloBoy wrote:...the PC Engine's library is far better than the TG-16's so you're not missing out on a whole lot.

There you go. A lot of good games don't require you to know japanese so you're good going the PCE route.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

ApolloBoy wrote:Honestly the PAL TurboGrafx is really just nothing more than a collector's item these days,

Yeah but it doesn't look half bad with the right combination. :P

"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Wait you can use the PCE CDrom system on a TG16?
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

ninjainspandex wrote:Wait you can use the PCE CDrom system on a TG16?

That is affirmative. 8)
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I guess you need the little base plate thing though and that is just as hard as finding the actual CD unit.