Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
flojocabron
Next-Gen

That other classic LCD game thread

by flojocabron Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:14 am

THIS THREAD WILL NOT BE FOR GAME AND WATCH!

NOT FOR TIGER GAMES EITHER!

This thread, it will be for other handheld classic LCD games! From before 1990.

Many of us have owned one or two in the past. They are of varying quality. My brother and I owned lots of Radioshack ones from the late 80's. They were pretty simple but they entertained you.

So, if you remember some of these, or still own some, go ahead and put a picture of it so we can reminisce and discuss! Heres' one I found today!

~~~

Today at the fleamarket, I found a Gakken LCD game! It's called Runaway

Your Little character is trying to escape from prison and he has to avoid the search lights and guards.

It's a pretty neat game. It took me a while to figure it out. But I got the hang of it.

http://youtu.be/nIFsTawG2H0

By the looks of the video, it has a different name. So I guess when it came to the US the name changed?

It runs on two AG13/357A batteries. And like the game and watch it has a alarm and clock on it. It also has a little stand. So it can look nice on your desk.

As I look up the info on this by googling, I dont find much on it. There's that video on youtube and some basic info in various sites, and that's about it.

Glad to have it as a part of my collection now.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: That other classic LCD game thread

by samsonlonghair Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:09 am

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:31 am

This was a really cool one by Mattel.

Basically you had to go around a randomly generated, grid-based dungeon and find an arrow in order to kill a dragon.

The game would warn you if one of the directions you could move in contained an item, a pit that you needed a grappling hook to escape or the dragon itself. It was essentially a game of chance to not fall into a pit but you could minimize your chances by trying to remember which way you went or by mapping the area out if you were really industrious (and not playing it on the go which you probably were).

It was kind of like an extremely simplified Rogue-like in practice, with good replay value since it was "different" each time.

I also liked a lot of the Radio Shack games. They tended to keep things simple which is important in an LCD game.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:35 am

My stepdad had one of those baseball games Samson posted down at my grandmother's place in SC. I remember messing with it when I was little. Then my uncle made a NES appear over there, so old electronic baseball was quickly forgotten.

We have a working handheld Yahtzee LCD game from the late 80's. It used to live in our bathroom for quick plays on the throne. I crushed it with like a 325 point high score. Good times.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:13 pm

I don't have any LCD games, but I do have a flouro screen "Pac Man 2".
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:16 pm

I remember my brother had a tron game of the handheld LCD type. I remember nothing whatsoever about it, other than not being able to figure out how to work it because I was so young :lol:
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:I don't have any LCD games, but I do have a flouro screen "Pac Man 2".

you need this: http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/get ... -S-01380-A
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:12 pm

dsheinem wrote:
Hobie-wan wrote:I don't have any LCD games, but I do have a flouro screen "Pac Man 2".

Fine fine. Grabbed up a variant one. If it sucks I'll heave your head! :P
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

Fine fine. Grabbed up a variant one. If it sucks I'll heave your head! :P

I can't speak for the variant, as I don't know if it is the same game. The one I linked to is sweet, though (for an LCD game, anyway).
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:40 pm

I don't think that "variant" is the same game since the names pretty much meant nothing on these things. I think Radio Shack had at least 4 completely different games all named "Sea Battle."

Those miniature Tiger handhelds are generally garbage. They're very flimsy and oversimplified.
Return to Other Platforms