Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Nuon - Hunting In the "Wild"

by Jagosaurus Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:40 pm

I always check the stacks of DVD players @ thrift stores & pawn shops for the Nuon logo.

Any1 have any luck snagging one second hand? Anything else I should be looking for besides "nuon" ... were they made primarily by one or two manufacturers, etc?

Any tips for happy hunting welcome. This is a cool piece of gaming history to me. Iron Soldier 3 & Tempest 3K are of interest to me. This is the Jaguar 2.0 IMO (yet another failed attempt but interesting).
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Nuon - Hunting In the "Wild"

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:53 pm

I always look for these too! Hoping to find a Nuon or CD-I someday mixed in with the DVD players and CD changers at Goodwill...
flojocabron
Next-Gen

by flojocabron Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:59 am

Doesn't the DVD of planet of the apes have enhanced functions with NUON?

The one tim burton directed and came out in 2001ish?
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:08 am

@bonez, always digging for Nuon, CDi, & 3DO in those DVD stacks.

@flo, not sure about specific titles but I do know several DVDs did have increased function. B4 they were discontinued, they were working on hooking up to the internet for special features similar to what u see on blu rays today.

An interesting console/multi-media machine that many collectors & enthusiast don't even know exist... one day I'll find one! ... then likely have to donate a kidney for a controller & TK3 on epay ;)
My Mod Threads
poha5200

by poha5200 Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:35 am

Good Luck on your search to find one in the wild. I would recommend using the Nuon-Dome website when it comes to nuon players as it some really good comparisons and the specs on the various players, plus it has firmware for some of the machines along with some homebrew titles for the players which support the use of CD-Rs, which in the US are the Samsung N501 and then the two RCA machines.

If you end up resorting to using the internet, i would suggest using amazon for the games because most of the nuon games are about half of the price if not more in comparison to ebay, probably the best example of this is Merlin racing which is currently $5 on amazon where as the cheapest price for Merlin racing currently on ebay is about $50

http://www.nuon-dome.com/
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:59 am

Jagosaurus wrote:@bonez, always digging for Nuon, CDi, & 3DO in those DVD stacks.

You should also keep an eye out for the Commodore CDTV and Tandy Video Information System. 8)
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:55 pm

i DID find a CD-i in the stack of CD players once. for like, $2. that was cool. haven't found a nuon personally, but i have found a nuon controller in the past and a sealed copy of Ballistic.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:05 pm

@Bonez, I'm always digging through the old PCs as well hoping to find a commadore or sharp lol... or an Atari RGB monitor... here's to hoping.

@Aaron, did that CDi work?
My Mod Threads
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:15 pm

aaron wrote:i DID find a CD-i in the stack of CD players once. for like, $2. that was cool. haven't found a nuon personally, but i have found a nuon controller in the past and a sealed copy of Ballistic.

That's pretty cool, dawg. I found a nice LaserDisc player in one of said Goodwill "stacks" once. Unfortunately I was in Baltimore and there was no way I was going to get that beast on a plane with me.

Jagosaurus wrote:@Bonez, I'm always digging through the old PCs as well hoping to find a commadore or sharp lol... or an Atari RGB monitor... here's to hoping.

Sharp??? Like a Japanese X1 or X68000? Good luck.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:27 pm

Lol yuuup Bonez... & FM Marty. One can dream. I also found a legit LD player (two lasers, no flip) but it was $30 & there were no movies to test it. Couldn't justify the risk.
My Mod Threads
Return to Other Platforms