Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
aaron
Next-Gen

NES30 bluetooth controller for iOS, Android, Windows

by aaron Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:26 pm

http://www.nes30.com/

Chinese-translation errors aside, this thing does look pretty cool. i'm considering picking one up for my ipad just to see if it works well.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: NES30 bluetooth controller for iOS, Android, Windows

by fastbilly1 Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:24 am

Looks like it works ok:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Zt34hdrlE
http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/23/nes30-retro-gamepad/
http://gameusagi.com/2014/07/nes30-bluetooth-gamepad/

But at $40, thats a tough call for me. Sadly the famicom looking ones are supposed to be rubbish.

Edit:
I got some wrong info, the Famicom ones are apparently great. Sadly they are not selling the famicom inspired arcadesticks:
or if they are I cannot find them.

Edit2:
The sticks are coming out soon, but in looking closely the letters are backwards, the top row is LYX from left to right, not XYL.
Super Jamie

by Super Jamie Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:30 am

This thing looks fantastic, I love that it comes with a stand that takes up almost no room when clipped onto the back of the controller.

On the manufacturer site the NES30 is compared to a Wamo Pro, which looks like an XBox controller with a clip to hold your phone. I have a Wamo Pro and apart from indeed being bulky and awkward, the build quality is not great. If you're playing in a quiet room without sound you can hear the controller flex and creak as you press buttons.

The Engadget review gave the NES30 9.5 out of 10 for build quality and that sold me. I ordered one off eBay just now.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:16 am

dem sticks tho
Super Jamie

by Super Jamie Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:28 am

My NES30 arrived today. I love it.

It comes in a nice sturdy box with a quality seal, which gave me a good first impression. The box is printed in the style of a little front-loading NES. Inside you get the controller packed onto its stand, some nicely-made cardboard inserts holding a USB cable and an "FC 30th Anniversay" keyring, and a manual.

Picking up the controller is a joy. It's nice and light, but not so much that it feels cheap. I don't have a real NES controller to compare, but It's just slightly heavier than a SNES controller. It feels very solid and isn't flimsy at all. The D-Pad is maybe 1mm larger (total width/height) than the original NES D-Pad (I do have some DMG Gameboys around, and they use the same D-Pad as the NES). The buttons give a nice click and there's no flex when you press the buttons. The D-Pad is spaced about the same distance from the Start/Select buttons as a SNES controller, but the ABXY buttons are a little closer in.

The manual is in "engrish" (Thank you to buy NES30 Gamepad. It 's the best for fightingshooting, action and emulator games.) but operation is very easy. I just switched it on (hold Start button for 3 seconds), detected Bluetooth devices with my Android phone and there it was. A quick play with SNES9x worked great. To switch off you also hold Start for 3 seconds.

I plugged it into my computer using a regular MicroUSB cable. I run Linux and it was detected as a regular gamepad by emulators as well. I had a quick play of FCEUX and it worked great there too. When it's connected via USB, it charges as you play. The cable is 120cm long, which allows me to sit at my desk and plug into the computer on the floor at my feet. Playing with a laptop on the table in front of you would be no problem either.

Reading the manual, there's also an Android app you can download from the NES30 website which lets me place "virtual buttons" anywhere on the screen, which then register touchscreen presses when you use the controller. So say you have a game with on-screen controls that doesn't support gamepad, this app lets you use the gamepad to "fake touch" the screen. Firmware update is via a Windows-only app which is also a download from the website.

I've saved the best til last - the stand. As the pictures show, the controller comes with a little clip-on stand which you can sit your phone in. This is AWESOME. It's got little clips front and back so it comes on and off easy, but will stay on the controller reliably. It holds my Nexus 5 phone with no problems, likewise for a Nexus 4 also in the house. It doesn't hold my 10" tablet. I don't have a 7" tablet, but I put my 7" eReader in and it held that, so chances are good for Nexus 7 or iPad Mini.

Overall, I'm really impressed with this controller. It seems like it's well-made and is enjoyable to use. Considering it cost $10 less than my Wamo Pro and is way better, definitely recommended. Thanks fastbilly1 for the tip!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:09 am

I've got a Moga Pro I found earlier this year in a busted up box but new for next to nothing, it's not bad, but it's bulky. Would you think in general for people here this to be a better solution?

Also, about the virtual buttons. You really caught my eye there because so far I can NOT find an Android app that doesn't require me jailbreaking the thing to do just that so I can't use the Moga on a lot of stuff that really could benefit from it. Have you tried this out?
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:19 pm

haven't yet but i'm considering picking one up. seems like the review above is a really glowing endorsement of a product i was moderately interested in to begin with. so i'll probably get one. wish it was an SNES pad, though.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:26 pm

aaron wrote:haven't yet but i'm considering picking one up. seems like the review above is a really glowing endorsement of a product i was moderately interested in to begin with. so i'll probably get one. wish it was an SNES pad, though.

I know. I'm trying to figure out wireless solutions for the HTPC setup in the living room. Of course, the GF hates anything that doesn't resemble a Nintendo controller, so that makes things super difficult. These would be great, but so pointy...
Nyukki
128-bit

by Nyukki Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:35 am

Very cool, shame no L2 R2 buttons though.
Weekend shmupper
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:17 am

TSTR wrote:
aaron wrote:haven't yet but i'm considering picking one up. seems like the review above is a really glowing endorsement of a product i was moderately interested in to begin with. so i'll probably get one. wish it was an SNES pad, though.

I know. I'm trying to figure out wireless solutions for the HTPC setup in the living room. Of course, the GF hates anything that doesn't resemble a Nintendo controller, so that makes things super difficult. These would be great, but so pointy...

classic controller pro? idk. maybe a couple of these things would fill the void for the retro stuff and you could use a 360 pad or two for the rest of your games. that's the direction i think i'm going.

how is dolphin currently, btw? do you use it?
Return to Other Platforms