Custom portable arcade done right? Just...wow

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
mjmjr25

Custom portable arcade done right? Just...wow

Post by mjmjr25 »

Looks slick and quality to the nines, but...3K. I can't see more than 10 of these selling worldwide - what a niche within a niche.

The joystick sticking out looks odd, but unscrews easy enough.

http://www.lovehulten.com/store/p3/R-KAID-R.html

If you look at the "work" tab, he's done more wood working projects:

MrPopo

Re: Custom portable arcade done right? Just...wow

Post by MrPopo »

Why 9 buttons? Is it to allow you to run a dual joystick game like how it works on the PSP?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Frontend looks garbage. Button layout is nonsense. Unknown stick/button quality. Video showing a 3:4 game stretched to 4:3. Grandma visual styling.

I'll give 'em $5.00 for it.
SpoonyBard
128-bit

Post by SpoonyBard »

Wouldn't be too hard to replicate that. And you could easily keep it around $200. Raspberry Pi, a cheap LCD monitor and speaker. You could lose three buttons and use a curved layout (9 straight buttons, really?). Get a JLF with a Link so you can close the box.

Looks really slick (aside from the buttons), but that's just way too much money for what it is.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

I think he's charging so much because it's a lot of custom work. If he's doing all of it by hand, 3K pounds isn't unreasonable.

Of course, materials don't cost anything near that. And, personally, I think paying someone to do it would take most of the fun out of the idea. But, if he doesn't have an external shop that can deliver him parts, then it'll cost quite a lot to make it worth his time.

I agree that the layout seems very odd. There's obviously some games he has in mind. I've never understood why these things don't have modular set ups. It wouldn't be outrageously difficult to make it so the sections pop out.

The best I've seen was a custom cab that allowed you to rotate the sections around to get different interfaces.
BRIK
Next-Gen

Post by BRIK »

Looks classy as, but looking at that price I doubt it will gross sale one. Even if I had that much money, I wouldn't buy it. Is it worth hundreds? Yes. But someone should really tell him he's dreaming for that set price.

Also it say it can run PSone? I doubt that. Even so, the games would be a pain to control.
Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

The joystick locking mechanism is the coolest part. I am not 100% sure how he did that.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

That's just kind of weird. One of my hipster friends from college would be all over it though.

At least until he sees the price tag.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Gunstar Green wrote:That's just kind of weird. One of my hipster friends from college would be all over it though.

At least until he sees the price tag.

Friends don't let friends be hipsters.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

At first I thought it was a supergun+screen+ arcade stick all in a wooden enclosure and was mildly interested, then I realized it was just an over priced laptop with a wooden shell. For this price you could get an ultimate pimped out Mame arcade cab built, probably two of them for that price, hell probably 3.