Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
smoogyvonsmoogy
8-bit

Best Games for the Vectrex?

by smoogyvonsmoogy Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:05 am

I've had a Vectrex for a little while now, and I love it, but was wondering what the best games for the system were, at least from my fellow Racketeers. I do have Armor Attack (which is awesome), Cosmic Chasm (which is O.K.), Space War (a solid port), and of course Minestorm built in. Love to hear your thoughts!
Systems owned: Odyssey, Commodore 64, Apple II+, Intellivision II, Atari 2600, Leisurevision, Atari 400, Vectrex, Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, Dreamcast, Turbografx-16, NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3.
AgentBurnwood
8-bit

Re: Best Games for the Vectrex?

by AgentBurnwood Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:13 am

Best games- original release or homebrew? Of the original releases Fortress of Narzod and Web Wars are not only system exclusives but also really fun and unique games (gameplay-wise and visually). Star Castle is an arcade port, and an outstanding one too!

For homebrews the best are the two created by Kristoff Tuts:

http://www.kristofsnewvectrexgames.comli.com/

Vector Pilot is particularly impressive, and you might want want to get a copy of Vectrexians while they're still available. He's got two more games in the works too. Another excellent homebrew is the Missile Defender clone Patriots, by renowned homebrewer John Dondzilla.

I'd also highly recommend checking out the Madtronix website:

http://www.madtronix.com/en/order.html

You can get fully functional reproduction 3D Imagers and Lightpens from there, in addition to multicarts with all the classic games and a majority of modern homebrews as well.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:38 am

Other than Minestorm and Armor Attack, my favorite original release are Bezerk and Scramble.

If you get into homebrew, Bedlam is pretty awesome, but hard to get ahold of.
G-Darius
32-bit

by G-Darius Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:31 pm

[quote="fastbilly1"]Other than Minestorm and Armor Attack, my favorite original release are Bezerk and Scramble.quote]

I am with you on this, in my opinion Berzerk and Scramble are the only games with any depth from the original line up of titles, homebrew scene does seem quite good though so from the newer stuff you might want to check out any pics,videos or websites for the following -
Vector Pilots
Protector
Vectrexians
Gravitrex
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:32 am

I have heard good things about the prototypical platformer Spike, which holds the distinction of introducing a hedgehog console mascot platformer before Sonic. The world is full of weird coincidences.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:22 am

G-Darius, how are you playing those? Do you have the carts, or do you have one of Seans flashcarts?

Id love to get a flashcart since the games are getting more and more expensive.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:27 am

fastbilly1 wrote:G-Darius, how are you playing those? Do you have the carts, or do you have one of Seans flashcarts?

Id love to get a flashcart since the games are getting more and more expensive.

I've got one of Richard Hutchinson's flashcarts. The USB-based one, since for some reason the SD-based one didn't work on my system (he said it's occurred on one other system before, but with my utter lack of low-level electronic knowledge we couldn't troubleshoot why it did on mine). His website seems to be down, but I think he's still active on AtariAge, you might want to try PMing him there, there's a chance he might have a small stock still.

Just fyi, when I got mine, he didn't have a shell for it, but I don't think that's really a big deal honestly.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Return to Other Platforms