Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
marurun

iPhone RPGs - looking for good buys

by marurun Mon May 19, 2014 1:05 pm

Alrighty folks, I'm looking for some good iPhone RPGs. I spend a lot of time playing a couple puzzle-style games, but I'm looking for a good RPG for the iOS that makes good use of the touch screen and is easy to pick up and put down. Not a fan of virtual d-pads and endless stretches of game where you can't put the phone down because you have something you need to do.

What have you guys played and what do you like? I admit, I'm tempted by FF3 and 4 from Square, since it looks like they have taken the touch interface seriously in their redesign, but those games are just so damn pricey.

Also looking for titles that don't try and rape you for in-app purchases.

What's good out there?
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Re: iPhone RPGs - looking for good buys

by Hazerd Mon May 19, 2014 1:16 pm

Well i dont have a iPhone, but if i did, id like to play the Tales of Phantasia for it, which looks to be revamped somewhat.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tales-p ... 94373?mt=8

http://www.gamefaqs.com/iphone/731148-t ... tasia/data

Metal Jesus
128-bit

by Metal Jesus Tue May 20, 2014 1:48 pm

It may sound weird, but I highly recommend Space Miner HD for iOS. Think: Asteroids RPG! Yes... if you like Asteroids but want to have a full RPG with fun characters, ship upgrades, areas to explore and just awesomeness...check it out! I've finished the game twice!

Chaos Rings is pretty awesome if you like traditional Square RPGs with great graphics and solid combat.

Also...Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is on iOS and runs better than it did on the original Xbox.
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Tue May 20, 2014 2:17 pm

I can't go with hazerd on that one. It's a p2w difficulty if you're someone like me, and i prefer my iPhone stuff to either be fully free or fully bought in one swoop. Especially because that immediately crosses off that game. There are a few other classics on iPhone but I can't recall for the life of me if they do the same screw up by putting IAP's in them... That said I definitely recommend these two even if I haven't been able to finish them yet:

Zenonia(spawned 5 sequels last I checked)

Though I've been playing that one on my vita/psp and it plays much better there just wish they'd get their act together and release the rest on psp but I guess i'll settle for the first one for now...

Across Age(which has a sequel)

Think time travel(in certain areas), and add in a little strategy. This one requires you to move between time(using Ceska only when back in time at least as far as I've gotten) and be smart about it. There are certain enemies only Ceska can hit and certain ones only Ales can hit.

Both of those should keep you busy(I know they have to me but I forgot I even had them until i checked this thread out)

Also just because he's posted here in the thread look at metaljesus's youtube channel. I almost guarantee you that he has a video with at least a few noteworthy ones on there...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat May 31, 2014 12:37 am

I'm an Android guy but check out the Kemco RPGs such as Symphony of Eternity. 16 bit inspired. I'm fairly certain they're on iOS as well.

IIRC, Vay & Shining Force are both on iOS. Classics.
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
8bit
Next-Gen

by 8bit Sat May 31, 2014 1:36 am

Lunar: Silver Star Story is available for iOS. Can't go wrong with the classic that has been on 3 consoles (Sega CD, PS1, and PSP) + it has other sequels to continue if you enjoy it.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Sat May 31, 2014 7:20 am

8bit wrote:Lunar: Silver Star Story is available for iOS. Can't go wrong with the classic that has been on 3 consoles (Sega CD, PS1, and PSP) + it has other sequels to continue if you enjoy it.

I don't know if I would ever trust those phone-ports. They are almost always from the ones I tried screwed IAP-plagued game unless the dev charges a decent chunk of change for the game. Plus it's pretty cheap on other platforms virtual consoles....
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

marurun

by marurun Sat May 31, 2014 1:10 pm

There's a big Kemco (Kotobuki Kaisha) sale running right now where some of their older stuff is only $.99. I bought several. The reviews seem to indicate the games that have IAP don't require purchasing, that they aren't too grind heavy. I haven't had a chance to try them out, yet, though.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Sat May 31, 2014 1:18 pm

Yeah for me that's just been a big issue with most games on there, and it seems like the ones that really have that issue from what I can gather are by Namco Bandai or Squeenix...
My gameroom

lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Hazerd wrote:Well i dont have a iPhone, but if i did, id like to play the Tales of Phantasia for it, which looks to be revamped somewhat.

Unfortunately, the iOS port uses microtransactions for revives after game overs and has the difficulty has been reportedly spiked severely to encourage purchases. Not as bad as FF: All the Bravest, but still sad to see.

As for recommendations, the smartphone ports of FF1/2 are perfectly suited for mobile play, but the achilles' heel of the ports is that they lack multitasking support, meaning if you switch between apps while playing, it will bring you back to the title screen without saving. The PSP port is the same thing, but without this regrettable bug. Still, the smartphone port has convenience and iCloud save syncing going for it, so that's nice.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
Return to Other Platforms