Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
G-Darius
32-bit

Re: What got you into arcade hardware?

by G-Darius Sat May 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Hi
I am mostly emulation now with practically every system not just arcade, I still own seven arcade cabs including a somewhat battered cocktail cab but I live in a one bedroom flat so although I do fire them up occasionally for a play I may need to get rid of a few in the future. Also I have a a work bench for arcade board repair and have just started assembling parts for my test rig which I hope to start on in the next few weeks with any luck.
It all depends really on how much space you have because you might not have space for a 4ft wide cab but remember if you own a test rig/super gun you need to collect and store your arcade boards usually in anti static bags and bubble wrap and then in boxes, as your arcade/MVS collection grows these crates or boxes stacked will be as wide and tall as an arcade cab lol. If you have little or no space stick with MAME .
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Sat May 24, 2014 4:24 pm

G-Darius wrote:Hi
I am mostly emulation now with practically every system not just arcade, I still own seven arcade cabs including a somewhat battered cocktail cab but I live in a one bedroom flat so although I do fire them up occasionally for a play I may need to get rid of a few in the future. Also I have a a work bench for arcade board repair and have just started assembling parts for my test rig which I hope to start on in the next few weeks with any luck.
It all depends really on how much space you have because you might not have space for a 4ft wide cab but remember if you own a test rig/super gun you need to collect and store your arcade boards usually in anti static bags and bubble wrap and then in boxes, as your arcade/MVS collection grows these crates or boxes stacked will be as wide and tall as an arcade cab lol. If you have little or no space stick with MAME .

Man you live in a 1 bedroom apartment with 7 cabs? I'd love to see pics of this haha
Kidpanda
64-bit

What got you into arcade hardware?

by Kidpanda Sat May 24, 2014 4:40 pm

I'm just going to say this..... Don't go down the rabbit hole. 135 PCBs and 60+ MVS carts and 8 cabs? Money pit. Make sure you want to do it before diving in.
Nyukki
128-bit

by Nyukki Mon May 26, 2014 10:38 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Really helpful.

I'm still on the fence, but am leaning more and more towards taking a step back in order to save some money. Also, "exotic hardware issues" as mentioned previously is a bit of a turnoff for me, so I might have to stick to MAME for the time-being.

Have been thinking about turning my current tate setup into a MAME tate barcade. Then maybe find a better opportunity to convince the wife to let me get a candy.
Weekend shmupper
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Tue May 27, 2014 12:52 am

Yeah, for sure, the arcade hobby is a "hobby" too, in the very sense of the word. If soldering, reseating roms, or fandangling wires and connections together, troubleshooting audio and video issues, controls, wiring up additional buttons, etc doesn't sound appealing, then you don't want to get into arcade. You may want to do arcade on the easy, like a CMVS or something, but if getting into PCB's with I/O's, kick harnesses, and motherboards with communication cables doesn't sound "fun", then definitely hold back for now - it's a costly investment and for a lot of us, definitely a blast, but it comes with confusion, monetary losses, and headaches now and then.
shallowgamer
128-bit

by shallowgamer Tue May 27, 2014 1:21 am

Any good retro arcades in Beijing? Get your fix there, then come home to your apartment with no huge machines taking up space / needing to be worked on/ trying to get rid of because you've found something else you want..

Promise yourself 1 outing a month at an arcade. Even if you dropped 125 yuan each month, you'd still be way ahead of the game.
nullxor
64-bit

by nullxor Tue May 27, 2014 2:01 am

I don't recall how, but I ended up playing Metal Slug on a Neo Geo emulator 5 years ago or so and it wasn't like any other game I had played so naturally I downloaded the whole ROM set and had a blast. No one seemed to know what the system even was, it was too expensive to buy an AES, the games are also way out of my price range so I almost got a CD so I could play burned games but I heard about the terrible loading times so I just stuck to emulation. I even had the set on an emulator on a disc for Dreamcast and eventually the Wii where I played all of my Neo Geo/CPS etc games alone and with friends who seemed to really enjoy them too.

Metal Slug
The Last Blade
Magical Drop
Aero Fighters
Pulstar
Puzzle Bobble
Sengoku

Those series of games are definitely some of my favorite games and ones that I can always pick up and play and never get bored with. I'd like to eventually own an AES with a multicart though.

I forgot to add that I have built two MAME cabinets. 8)

I have since sold them to move though.
Nyukki
128-bit

by Nyukki Tue May 27, 2014 9:25 pm

shallowgamer wrote:Any good retro arcades in Beijing?

Plenty of arcades in Beijing, and a quite big one in the mall downstairs where I live. They have a pretty good selection but no shmups. And the fighters they have are all on widescreen Viewlix type cabs, fine for Tekken 6 but makes KOF look kinda miffy. Though that's where all the cool kids hang out so some fun to be had.

I once asked to see the Manager (Mr. Li) and he's a nice guy, asked him about getting some tate CRT's. He says it's not really what most people are looking for but he values the feedback and will talk to his boss. It's not that cheap to play one off there but if you buy a membership card it's really cheap. If they at least had some shmups I would consider getting the card.

About one station away by subway there's another smaller arcade where they have Strikers 1945 III in a 1945 II cab, though its a 32" widescreen in tate, I find that I'm sitting too close to the screen to be able to pay attention to the top and bottom so keep getting hammered.

Perhaps next year when I have some more time/cash I might think about getting a CMVS. Could always de-consolise it if I ever get a cab to put it in and start building a decent library of games in the meantime.
Weekend shmupper
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:43 am

What got me into it? I ran out of home hardware to buy! :lol:

I'm only kinda kidding. I just... I love hardware. I love the quirks and hidden gems of each and every system. However, I am very American and thus almost entirely mono-lingual (I can understand a bit of Italian if I try hard thanks to my mother and grandmother, and maybe a few words here and there of French and Spanish but nothing worth mentioning), so my collection is (mostly) limited to NTSC-U hardware. At this point, I have every major system 2nd to 7th gen, and most of the minor ones (Notable exception: N-Gage. Just haven't found one at a price I consider worth it yet), clones excepted. So the obvious next step was arcade hardware.

I'm still not 100% certain how far I want to go -- I have a gutted old WWF Wrestlefest cabinet that I'm turning into a MAME cabinet with Ultimarc's IPac and ArcadeVGA (no one freak out, I got it for next to nothing when it had already been converted to a bowling game that didn't even work, so I didn't sac any GOOD pcb for it), and I have a Supergun I picked up because it was an amazing deal, with a Sega ST-V board en route to go with it. I've acquired my first MVS game, with the options of playing it either on my buddy's 2slot golden cab or on my AES with a converter. And Mike's gentle nudging is definitely helping me along. But yeah, I just... I love the collection, I love the quirks of each and every system, and I just want to have as many as I can. Right now, I'm only planning on getting cartridge based arcade boards (MVS, Atomiswave, PGM, ST-V, F3, CPS2... there's plenty of them) because of ease of display, ability to "consolize" them and make them even more like a home system, etc. However, just like I only planned on getting home hardware before that... and no handhelds before that... and only systems I owned as a kid before that... yeah. I doubt that'll last forever.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Return to Other Platforms