Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Toonami2112

Pc Engine Duo R RGB sync question

by Toonami2112 Tue May 13, 2014 2:13 pm

I am looking into buying a modified Pc engine duo R from the Ebay user DoujinDance. I have seen him mentioned on here before and it seems like he does really good work. I was wondering if anyone has used one of his Pc Engine Duo R's on a Sony PVM, or really any pvm. The language gap is confusing me and I cannot tell if his RGB also sends sync. Without the sync, the picture will be completely distorted on my monitor.

here is on of his sold Pc engine duo r's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-PC-Engine-D ... 2c82a72c69

and the part that talks about sync

Your RGB sync signal is what?
I always use composite video signal as RGB sync signal. If your monitor is BNC or DB15, you need to separate to H-sync and V-sync using IC LM1881N. In the world, there are some monitors that isn't accepting composite sync signal(C-sync) as RGB sync signal though it's extremely rare. In this case, need to input only a H-sync signal to 20th pin of Scart plug(not use V-sync).

any incite would be appreciated
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Pc Engine Duo R RGB sync question

by bmoc Tue May 13, 2014 2:41 pm

What he is trying to say is that some monitors won't accept a composite signal as the sync signal. If you were to have one of these monitors, you would need use a sync stripper to convert the composite signal to raw sync.

I ran into this problem when I was starting out with my first PVM. The PVM manual for my model says that composite sync should work but in practice only a clean (raw) sync signal would do.

I think that I remember you telling me that you bought a PVM breakout cable with a sync stripper built-in. If your other consoles are working fine on your PVM then you shouldn't have any trouble with this.
dogman91
128-bit

by dogman91 Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:41 pm

I have this problem with Playstation 1 and Dreamcast RGB with my Kramer RGB to component unit, which only seems to like raw sync. Anyone have a link to this 'cable with the sync stripper built-in" by any chance?
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:26 pm

dogman91 wrote:I have this problem with Playstation 1 and Dreamcast RGB with my Kramer RGB to component unit, which only seems to like raw sync. Anyone have a link to this 'cable with the sync stripper built-in" by any chance?

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/female ... ipper.html

^This is what I was talking about.

http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strik ... e::15.html

^I have one of these which does the same thing.

However neither of these easily apply to your situation since you are using a RGB to component converter.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Also here is some info on making a short scart extension cable with a built in sync cleaner. This is probably more applicable to your situation.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/composite-syn ... er-lm1881/
dogman91
128-bit

by dogman91 Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:58 pm

that cable looks like exactly what I need, actually. The only question I have is are there any compatibility problems if I use my raw sync RGB SCART cables with it?

I'm also wondering about the power requirements for the pin 8 deal. :? Would the usual 3rd party SCART RGB cables on ebay work as is?
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:32 am

dogman91 wrote:that cable looks like exactly what I need, actually. The only question I have is are there any compatibility problems if I use my raw sync RGB SCART cables with it?

I don't think I've ever tried feeding my Sync Strike a raw sync signal. I could not find a definitive answer through some quick googling.

dogman91 wrote:I'm also wondering about the power requirements for the pin 8 deal. :? Would the usual 3rd party SCART RGB cables on ebay work as is?

They should work but it really depends on whether or not they wired that pin. A poorly constructed RGB SCART cable could be missing that but it should be very unlikely.
Return to Other Platforms