Am I the only one that uses the Gamecube GB Player?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Am I the only one that uses the Gamecube GB Player?

Post by alienjesus »

CRTGAMER wrote:
alienjesus wrote:
Tanooki wrote:Does it require some hacking and/or added parts to get a SD card into a GC? Seems like more money and work than its worth compared to the GBP which gets overly ripped on when it really isn't deserved.
The SD launcher just plugs into the 2nd memory card port, so doesn;'t require mods. They used to be super cheap, but they seem to be a bit harder to find now, so I wouldn't be surprised if the price goes up. Last I saw they were like £15 though, so not much at all - less than the GB Player disc tends to go for, and it replaces the need for the disc with the benefit of better quality.

The SD Launcher is officially available on two different Code Junkie retail discs and there is a third Disc/Dol file option as well. There are also other SD hardware adapters as well, no mod needed, just plug in and run. Wrote a Guide on this a few years back.

Wii Key Gamecube SD Gecko - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=322332#p322332

alienjesus wrote:If you grab an SD Launcher for your gamecube, you can use the 'Game Boy Interface' homebrew software to run games on the system. The quality you get as a result is far better than the official disks emulation quality as it lets you output at 240p and sort out some of the visual quality issues the original software had.

There's more info here: http://www.retrorgb.com/gameboyinterface.html

I like the Gameboy Player for the instant plug in of carts. The Emulator option looks great too, for the reviewed improved quality and for anyone who cannot locate the GB Player hardware.

This isn't emulated games. It's just better software for running them on the TV. You still use the actual cartridges plugged into the GB Player.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

If you don't want to grab one of these SD card solutions, you can also set up the proper save files for booting homebrew from a memory card if you have a modded Wii on hand. That's what I did for my GBI setup, with Twilight Princess serving as my boot disc.

Here's a link to the different options: http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... g_Homebrew

So if you've got any of these games lying around, that's an option, although certainly not as robust if you want to go whole hog in the GC emulation scene. Buuuuut... if you've got a modded Wii, you probably don't.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Yeah, a modded Wii is like a super Gamecube. Much more better (and cheap too).
Still, I wish there was more I could do with my black box. I might have to at least grab a memory to SD adapter for a rainy day.

As for the GBP, I have one with the disc, so unless I can procure an SD drive replacement (for discless booting) I think I'll stick with the norm.

Super Game Boy is another story, as I've always liked messing around with color schemes and the seeing what they did with the few enhanced games, but that's a pretty limited focus than the GBP.
...just another lost soul...
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That's where I am on it really.

I have a nicely working complete GBP for many years now and it looks/works fine for me without any perceived problems. I could not care less about 240 vs 480, no value in the least bit as it is setup on my RCA cable through the non-CRT I have.

There's also the factor of the GC v2.0 HDMI adapter coming that'll really sharpen the hell out of it along with anything GC too obviously.

And then I recently got a slick deal on a big box complete Super Gameboy that was lightly ever used so I'm enjoying my old GB/SGB games on that just too much and GBP isn't too keen on doing SuperGB function which is a loss.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Tanooki wrote:There's also the factor of the GC v2.0 HDMI adapter coming that'll really sharpen the hell out of it along with anything GC too obviously..

What is this you speak of?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

racketboy wrote:
Tanooki wrote:There's also the factor of the GC v2.0 HDMI adapter coming that'll really sharpen the hell out of it along with anything GC too obviously..

What is this you speak of?

https://zzblogs.wixsite.com/home/single-post/pnpgc2
$100+shipping (7 in US)

If you have a normal GC with the digital jack, you get this and throw that A/V cable in the trash(or the box.) HDMI adapter that replicates and blows out of the water a selection of display options what the $300 crap Nintendo cable does + it does audio which the Nintendo one lacks. Put that in the port, HDMI cable in the side (which he includes in the package a 6 footer) and you're golden.

Metal Jesus did a sweet video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUks9-jW9xw
Skim up to the video of Rogue Squadron, Mario Kart, Soul Calibur, Smash Bros and the GB Player in action. As he put it... it removes the vaseline off the screen and leaves a truly sharp, crisp, clean view.

RS maybe a little less notable due to the dark tones of space and other drabness of it all, but scroll into Mario kart as it's like going between Mario Kart 64 to Mario Kart 7/8 in clarity easily -- GBP with Metroid Fusion is like looking at art down with artists markers to some photoshop clean pixel perfect render in comparison.

The clarity is insane. I'm not one to ever pay up much for accessories and gimmicks, if ever...but damn if anything Gamecube based ever deserved hell earned (watching the MJR video clips) the Futurama Fry meme of 'Shut up and take my money!' this is the one.