SwanCrystal worth the extra money?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
84pontiacdream
8-bit

SwanCrystal worth the extra money?

Post by 84pontiacdream »

Lately I've been thinking about picking up a WSC, during my search I noticed the SwanCrystals were harder to come by and more expensive. Just wondering if the upgraded screen is worth the extra price?

Thanks
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: SwanCrystal worth the extra money?

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I have a regular WonderSwan and WonderSwan Color, but have never seen the Crystal unfortunately.

If you don't have any WonderSwan handhelds - I'd say go for it. Might as well get the best one.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

From what I've seen of the screen on the Crystal, yeah, it might be. Haven't really seen it in comparison to the Color, but here's a video that does a pretty good job of showing the quality of the Crystal's screen:

http://classicgameroom.com/vaultpages/vaultpage/digimon-tamers-battle-spirit-bandai-wonderswan/
84pontiacdream
8-bit

Post by 84pontiacdream »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I have a regular WonderSwan and WonderSwan Color, but have never seen the Crystal unfortunately.

If you don't have any WonderSwan handhelds - I'd say go for it. Might as well get the best one.

Sounds good, thanks for the advice.

pierrot wrote:From what I've seen of the screen on the Crystal, yeah, it might be. Haven't really seen it in comparison to the Color, but here's a video that does a pretty good job of showing the quality of the Crystal's screen:

http://classicgameroom.com/vaultpages/vaultpage/digimon-tamers-battle-spirit-bandai-wonderswan/

Oh nice thanks for the input. I love CGR, him and Game Sack are my 2 favorite YT channels. Never saw any of his WS reviews before today, in the Klonoa review he compares a SwanCrystal to an original WS, the screen does look much better.
Might have to settle for a Crystal without the box or anything as the complete ones are a bit more than what I'm looking to spend, it'll be nice to own a new system I have never tried before though.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I have a Crystal, but don't have the others to compare with. Personally I barely even play Wonderswan, so to that end it isn't worth it, but I guess it makes a collection piece. On the other hand like others said, it is reputedly the best model and I don't think the premium is that much larger.
84pontiacdream
8-bit

Post by 84pontiacdream »

Well, after some consideration and second guessing(was leaning toward a Neo Geo Pocket Color for a bit) I ended up purchasing a WonderSwan Color. Found a nice looking boxed system and got it for a reasonable price, ended up purchasing Engacho! and a cleaning cloth/screen protector along with it. The only reasonably priced Crystals I could see were loose and had scratched up screens, if I end up enjoying my WSC a lot I will have to keep an eye out for a Crystal though.

Threw the eBay images into an imgur album, I saw the "Cleaner Belt" and figured it was worth picking up for the price, looked kind of interesting.
http://imgur.com/a/8sKnU

Thanks for the advice everyone, can't wait for it to arrive :mrgreen: Anyone ever try Engacho? I'd also be really interested in purchasing a complete copy of Beatmania if anyone had one for sale.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I know that you've made your choice now but as I own two Swan Crystals I might as well add my two cents.

I bought mine from a thrift store in Japan (one for a friend who ended up not needing it!) and both have minor surface scratches on the screen that probably means I wouldn't get much for them.

Honestly, unless I'm missing something here, I just don't see the wonderswan as a very attractive purchase. The majority of games released for it seem to be RPG's and strategy game that are very heavy in Japanese text. If you can speak Japanese then I'm sure this opens up a lot of doors but for me this made the system very limiting even as someone who can understand a little Japanese.

I have a few games for mine: Puyo Puyo 2, Final Fantasy, Kinnukiman and Buffers Evolution.

I enjoyed Buffers Evolution but the others feel like games that I could play superior versions of on other systems. The screen on the crystal is inferior to the NGPC and GBC (imo) and the system doesn't even have a proper sound adjuster (off, quiet or slightly louder than quiet, being its options) or a headphone outlet.

There are a couple of games I'd like to play on the system. Judgement Silversword looks nice but is almost as outrageously priced as Silvergun. I picked up a copy of Fire Pro Wrestling which looked good but unfortunately it crashes after the character selection screen!

There just doesn't seem to be the variety that other systems have for me and I'd never recommend one above the amazing Neo Geo Pocket which is superior in every way and has a far more appealing library of games.

I really want to love the wonderswan but I find it very difficult. If anyone can suggest some games worth picking up for it I'd love to hear about them. I saw that Klonoa game and it looked decent, anything else?
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I agree in general that buying a Wonderswan is something that should only be done by collectors. The library doesn't really justify it - particularly if you can't read Japanese. An NGPC is very likely a much better choice. I also recommend an N-Gage QD above the Wonderswan.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Ivo wrote:I agree in general that buying a Wonderswan is something that should only be done by collectors. The library doesn't really justify it - particularly if you can't read Japanese. An NGPC is very likely a much better choice. I also recommend an N-Gage QD above the Wonderswan.

There's always the wonderborg! :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

If you can read Japanese I'd say the WonderSwan Color and NGPC are about tied as far as game quality goes.