Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
s8n
128-bit

MVS to AES converters , any good ones out there ?

by s8n Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:03 pm

hi RB members , ive been doing a little research on MVS to AES converters and 2 of them suffer from scaling problems.

i was wondering are there any converters that are problem free and worth the purchase ?
shallowgamer
128-bit

Re: MVS to AES converters , any good ones out there ?

by shallowgamer Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:35 pm

s8n wrote:hi RB members , ive been doing a little research on MVS to AES converters and 2 of them suffer from scaling problems.

i was wondering are there any converters that are problem free and worth the purchase ?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but none of them play every game perfectly. Put ~$100 bucks more into the project and get a nice consolized MVS; no compatibility issues there. I'm assuming you've already got sticks, so if you found a bundle on ebay, unload the sticks and make some money back.

But perhaps you're one of those people that doesn't need multiple systems laying around. BOOOOOO.
outlaw_moon
24-bit

by outlaw_moon Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:39 pm

I second what Shallow said. I have never owned a converter so I can't tell you, but from the litte research I did years ago, I came to the conclusion that it is best to get a consolized MVS and call it a day. Cost me a pretty penny, but a great investment in my opinion :mrgreen:
It's time to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of gum.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:16 pm

I actually passed on a huge AES lot for a decent price because I already have an AI Cmvs. And have pretty much every Neo Geo game I ever wanted in MVS format. With the unibios you can just play the MVS games in AES mode, so having an AES console it would likely just collect dust on the shelf. Right now the prices of AES games are so out of hand right now and so much counterfeitting going on right now you really have no idea what your getting. Unless your rich I'd stay away from AES, its a moneypit.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:33 pm

The dedalus converter by DavidG (leaving who he is out of the equation to stay on topic) from my understanding fixes the bug and scaling issues with a few games that are glitchy with the !Arcade! and Phantom 1 converters. They are expensive - but work. I think there is another one from Razoola too that I recally hearing about, can't recall the exact name of it.

All that said, for the $300 you spend on a decent converter, get a CMVS.

AES isn't as dangerous as many people make it out in my experience. There are only a handful of games that are booted, so unless you are after one of those games, you're mostly safe. It isn't cost effective to boot games under $250-300 in value, so the vast majority of your titles are going to be fine. If you are after rarer US or EURO versions of some games, just buy from reputable sellers or someone who can prove a line of ownership history.
s8n
128-bit

by s8n Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:47 am

thanks for your info and help guys all noted.................

i found the Daedalus through a google search a couple of days ago and it gets the thumbs up from Neo-Geo.com members.

it ticks all of the boxes for me only im stuck on one thing , how do you insert a coin/credit ?

i read over in the Daedalus thread at Neo-Geo.com the below.............

Looks sweet, I'm considering one now. Question...does this require a unibios upgrade to your aes system? I have an unmodded us aes system.

You don't need a unibios, a stock un-modded system will work just fine.

so it seems theres a way to add a credit without a unibios needing to be installed i just dont know how yet.
outlaw_moon
24-bit

by outlaw_moon Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:40 pm

Hmmm... Not sure. I have a modded AES with unibios 3.0 but cant remember the last time I played it. I pretty much have it stored away and use my CMVS when I want to play some MOW!
It's time to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of gum.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:46 pm

I'm guessing (based on the fact that unibios swaps select for coin) that select will, by default, insert a coin.

BUT, my system is modded with unibios (and my converter hasn't shown up either) so that's just a guess.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:24 am

KalessinDB wrote:I'm guessing (based on the fact that unibios swaps select for coin) that select will, by default, insert a coin.

BUT, my system is modded with unibios (and my converter hasn't shown up either) so that's just a guess.

It must because my neo geo cd pad select buttons works as a coin on my AI CMVS
theclaw
Next-Gen

by theclaw Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:16 am

I'm not familiar with this stuff. Are there any games who don't support detecting a home console, thus still try to ask for coins on AES?
Lum fan.
Return to Other Platforms