Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Turbografx 16 case question

by Hobie-wan Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:10 am

marurun wrote:In fact, it might be worth trying one of those slim CD cases and knocking out the hub. Then you might not need the foam.

It looks like a card in a sleeve would be just slightly too thick. If the bottom tray were perfectly flat inside I think it would fit, but even if you broke off the hub, the slightly raised middle that keeps the disc from touching flat is probably going to make it stick up too much. Grinding that down will be too much trouble and end up looking ugly. Add a manual and there's no way it's going to fit.

Good idea, but just a little too thin.

On the foam I was just referring to the pieces that came in most Japanese PCE card games since the regular cases didn't have the clips like the US ones. I have a few imports where that piece of foam is gone. Some PCE games had a different tray with a slot on the left and some tabs that fit in holes in the sleeve.
shallowgamer
128-bit

by shallowgamer Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:44 pm

I hate HuCard cases. They suck. They were never engineered properly to store cards (in sleeves) perfectly. Just another example of NEC phoning it in.

Regardless of whether I have a case, all of my hucards are stored in a shipping box for easy access. Then you can just flip through them in a single place. If you've got a "the Container Store" or some place like that near you, have a look. If you're a container freak like me, it's a good place to lose a few hours..
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:52 pm

shallowgamer wrote:I hate HuCard cases. They suck. They were never engineered properly to store cards (in sleeves) perfectly. Just another example of NEC phoning it in.

We got slightly better than Japan with the clips. I think having them be CD case sized was a great idea. The trays just could have been a little better.
marurun

by marurun Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:13 pm

Well, some of them used that removable sticky glue to hold the sleeve in place, and that worked pretty well, too. Maybe if they'd skipped the sleeves and gone instead with a kind of system where the hucard clipped into place, much like how some modern card-like memory media are stored, it would have worked out a little better.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:51 pm

marurun wrote:Well, some of them used that removable sticky glue to hold the sleeve in place, and that worked pretty well, too. Maybe if they'd skipped the sleeves and gone instead with a kind of system where the hucard clipped into place, much like how some modern card-like memory media are stored, it would have worked out a little better.

I thought most of the ones past Keith Courage had a snap.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:24 pm

Stark wrote:
marurun wrote:Well, some of them used that removable sticky glue to hold the sleeve in place, and that worked pretty well, too. Maybe if they'd skipped the sleeves and gone instead with a kind of system where the hucard clipped into place, much like how some modern card-like memory media are stored, it would have worked out a little better.

I thought most of the ones past Keith Courage had a snap.

You're probably thinking of the clip I was talking about that's a separate piece glued in. With a card in a sleeve it hold it ok, but of course sleeves can get lost and as I mentioned, most J releases were just the little walls in the tray. Maruru is right, something with clips like memory card or DS cases would be ideal for keeping them in there. That could be a single molded piece.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:You're probably thinking of the clip I was talking about that's a separate piece glued in. With a card in a sleeve it hold it ok, but of course sleeves can get lost and as I mentioned, most J releases were just the little walls in the tray. Maruru is right, something with clips like memory card or DS cases would be ideal for keeping them in there. That could be a single molded piece.

Yep you're right, describing it like a DS case, gives me the mental picture I was missing.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
shallowgamer
128-bit

by shallowgamer Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:15 pm

Now my cases stay on the shelf. I only get them out to check out the amazing cover art.
Return to Other Platforms