State of Android gaming 2014

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: State of Android gaming 2014

Post by TSTR »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:I have always found touch shmups to be cumbersome, but I'll give danmaku death a try.

Recently I ordered a USB OTG cable, which should allow me to use a keyboard, pad, or proper USB arcade stick on my tab. Do you know if danmaku death has controller support? I think it would be useful to note that in the thread.

Couldn't tell you. The game is free though, so you can give it a shot if you want.

That reminds me--maybe pricing should be added to the list as well?
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

No, pricing is irrelevant.

I'll be giving Danmaku Death a try later tonight, but my USB adapter hasn't arrived yet.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:No, pricing is irrelevant.

Then this thread is irrelevant for a lot of people. I won't be wasting time trying to find n app that isn't free. And you might be reaching a bit to say "Only list games that are as good as something on a 3DS".
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Yeah, I feel like price is a big concern when it comes to Android gaming. Like, it better be really good for me to even plop down Steam-sale type prices on something just for my tablet. Otherwise I'd rather save those bucks and get something cool for a little more dough on a console or PC.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

You're missing the point entirely. We're listing android games as good as the better full-price games on other platforms. We only want the best ones.

I started this thread specifically because I'd rather play a game that's "worth my time" than "worth my money," and I'm sure many of us with Android devices feel the same way.

Even if we are concerned with values for monies, why should a great Android game be worth less than a Windows game of equal quality?

...by the way, everything listed so far is free or cheap.

Anyway, no one should be discouraged from adding to the list because of that. If you feel a game is among the best on smartphones, please do share it.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:Even if we are concerned with values for monies, why should a great Android game be worth less than a Windows game of equal quality?

Because the economic structure of the Android market dictates it as such, unfortunately.

However, I agree that price shouldn't be a concern when adding to the list. I was merely suggesting that price be listed as another bit of information for game-seekers, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I do have another question, though: why no visual novels? Not that I've necessarily come across any that are comparable on Android, but games like Ace Attorney, Danganronpa, Sweet Fuse, etc., seem to be enjoyable to many people on the same handhelds you suggested as a standard of quality when judging whether or not a game gets added to the list.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

About Danmaku Death: I played it for a half hour. The patterns, framerate, etc seem perfectly decent for a basic danmaku game but I found the controls intolerable. My tablet is second-rate and the touch screen isn't as slick as that of a PS Vita, so I'll borrow a friend's fancy tablet sometime and come back to this.

I think most of the problems are just inherent to capacitive touch screens. Pressing my finger onto the glass means I don't know exactly where my hitbox is or how far I'm moving it - after all, if the angle of my finger changes as I move it across the screen. The ship's speed is also pretty limited, and trying to keep track of that max speed was pretty distracting and counter intuitive. It's not like unlimited movement speed would be hard to design around or anything.

I managed to beat some "Hard" bosses a few times, but "Hell" difficulty was too much with the inaccurate controls.

If this game does support controllers I will be ripping it a new one later. It should be fun, too - some of the bosses are pretty cool. I love the five heads that blow those erratic bubble patterns at you.

About price: If someone sees a game on this list that they think they may be interested in, the current price is easily discovered. It's better to just decide what to play based on the game's qualities, not some external and changeable factor like price. If we add another link, I think it should be a play video. It's not even a big deal in this case. I sure can't afford to import Japanese arcade machines, but smartphone games are cheap.

I've felt this way since I started buying old PC games at thrift shops in elementary school. icycalm's article On "Values" for "Money" explains the idea perfectly.

About VNS: I like VNs, but I consider them uninteresting as video games (haven't played Phenoix Wright though). We could have a separate list for visual novels if you like, although many have a more complicated installation process than "just download the apk"

Some are proper Android ports, some are exclusives. Many ports are only in Japanese, but the script files of PC translations can be used. Or not. Many are run on a port of ONScripter or a version of VNDS. Basically, that list would be a lot more work :lol:
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

I feel where you're coming from re: all the above, although when I play Danmaku Death the ship seems to move as fast as my finger does. :?:

However, you lost me at icycalm; that guy is a narcissistic, sociopathic lunatic.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

TSTR wrote:I feel where you're coming from re: all the above, although when I play Danmaku Death the ship seems to move as fast as my finger does. :?:

However, you lost me at icycalm; that guy is a narcissistic, sociopathic lunatic.

I heartily agree with both these statements.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

icycalm's game writing is very important and it's the most lucid I've read. It's a mistake not to read him because you don't like his personality. Everyone who likes games should care about his ideas.
--
My thing arrived today and it worked fine. Pretty cool being able to type with a proper keyboard on my tablet. USB controllers worked great.

Unfortunately Danmaku Death doesn't support controllers and neither do Deathsmiles and Dodonpachi.

I also played a game of Plauge Inc. last night to see what all the fuss was about. Cool idea for a game but it was really simplistic and boring. There's so much waiting involved that no one would even be able to pay attention to the game, so the devs had DNA point bubbles randomly appear on the screen. You need to tap on those if you want enough points to get a good score. Bullshit design :lol: