Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

by fastbilly1 Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:54 pm

We have pretty much stopped playing Pandemic once we got Defenders of the Realm. It is Pandemic with RPG elements.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:57 pm

Haven't seen that one yet...will look into it.

Anyone play "Sheriff of Nottingham"? I thought it looked good, but not a ton of reviews on it. Also, some game called "guns and something or other"...another bluffing game that looked interesting - then I lost my webpage for it and can't recall what it was.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:59 pm

You are probably thinking of Cash and Guns.

Im not a huge fan of it. If we play a large bluffing game, we play Mafia.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:01 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:We have pretty much stopped playing Pandemic once we got Defenders of the Realm. It is Pandemic with RPG elements.

Ooohhhh they have Defenders of the Realm. Will have to try it out!

I think the main draw for this, for me, is the ability to play with friends from a distance. For a game that has not been out for more than a year, there is tons of custom content. My only worry is that it would fall prey to the emulator problem. There could be too much that it becomes an overload and we jump around to a bunch of stuff, but never settle on a handful of great games to play.

mjmjr25 wrote:Haven't seen that one yet...will look into it.

Anyone play "Sheriff of Nottingham"? I thought it looked good, but not a ton of reviews on it. Also, some game called "guns and something or other"...another bluffing game that looked interesting - then I lost my webpage for it and can't recall what it was.

I'll try Sheriff of Nottingham out on Tabletop Simulator and let you know how it works!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
marurun

by marurun Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:47 pm

Have I mentioned here yet how awesome Wiz War is? I got one of the expansions for it for Christmas and haven't had a chance to break it open. But the base game is awesome. We played with a non-default spellbook last game and it really changed the game.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:35 pm

Fast - what was the older game that is OOP, made of wood iirc, maybe made by Ravensburger? Auctions do around $100~...I can't find the post where you talked about it before.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:32 pm

marurun wrote:Have I mentioned here yet how awesome Wiz War is? I got one of the expansions for it for Christmas and haven't had a chance to break it open. But the base game is awesome. We played with a non-default spellbook last game and it really changed the game.

Play it 80s style, shuffle all the spelldecks together. I wish there was a good digital version of Wizwar. It is such a great game that I dont get to play enough.

mjmjr25 wrote:Fast - what was the older game that is OOP, made of wood iirc, maybe made by Ravensburger? Auctions do around $100~...I can't find the post where you talked about it before.

There are two games that might be right.

The Ravensburger game is probably Pyramid/Fluch der Mumie:

Made of wood is likely Pitchcar/Carabande:

One of the reasons I have been gathering woodworking tools is so I can build more pitchcar track. There are some custom pieces that are just awesome but they need a bandsaw, spindle sander, and router in table to build.

On the side, I am trying to get a prototype of a combination of Pyramid and Labyrinth together. I have a magnetologist friend trying to figure out what kind of magnet I will need to go through a sandwiched wooden prototype (before I spend the money on rare earth magnets). Atleast thats my excuse for why it is not built yet... The concept is vertical Labyrinth, where you move a d6, and there is a random monster out to get you each with different abilities (gets to move two pieces a turn or move through walls).
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:29 pm

It's Pyriamid (thanks).

I have Labyrinth (Ravensberger, not the tilting table) and also have Pitch Car (and tumblin' dice, based on your recommendations).

We are doing more game time than ever and always looking for new games.

Recently has been a lot of short bluffing games. Resistance, Bang!, and One Night Ultimate Werewolf.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:51 pm

Mike, I strongly suggest Once Upon A Time. You get a fist full of cards that all have elements of a fairy tail, and the whole group is trying to tell a story (one story, mind you) by playing cards out of their hand. But the thing is, if you say something that someone else has in their hand, they play that card and now they're the one telling the same story.

And you all have dedicated ending cards that you're trying to get to.

I've been told that not every group has a good time with it, but when I play it with my good friends it's always laugh until you can't breathe funny.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:58 pm

KalessinDB wrote:Mike, I strongly suggest Once Upon A Time. You get a fist full of cards that all have elements of a fairy tail, and the whole group is trying to tell a story (one story, mind you) by playing cards out of their hand. But the thing is, if you say something that someone else has in their hand, they play that card and now they're the one telling the same story.

And you all have dedicated ending cards that you're trying to get to.

I've been told that not every group has a good time with it, but when I play it with my good friends it's always laugh until you can't breathe funny.

I have played it and I can safely say that if your group isn't excited and outgoing people, then they will not enjoy it much. You all know me, I am a teller of tales and very outgoing so the game is right up my alley and my experience has been nothing but awesome.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Return to Other Platforms