Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:51 pm

I like Settlers of Catan, Dominion, and the D&D board games. Unfortunately, I have no real-life friends who play this stuff.

I play some "regular" old board games too. My wife really liked Scrabble. Probably because she manages to destroy me every single time.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:20 am

My favorite board game to play as a kid with my best friend is still fun. I don't like the updated US board or the international ones though. Gotta be the original one.

Bonkers
Ack

by Ack Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:38 pm

So this weekend my girlfriend and I played Forbidden Island(the first time for me, though she had played a couple of times before). It's simple and short, but still fun. I think it would be more interesting with 4 people, though I'm glad she and I found a cooperative game we could try out together.

Is Forbidden Desert any good?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:19 pm

We're big fans of Dominion, Ticket to Ride, and Pandemic. We have so many expansions of Dominion we might not make it through all of the cards in our lifetime.

I really want my fiancee to try Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. It is absolutely fun, we both love the show, but she's never played the game. I used to play it pretty regularly with some friends, and it follows the reboot of the show pretty accurately and captures the spirit of it too.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:07 am

Anyone have any idea what game these cards go to? Front and back, they go from 1 to 10 gold. I'm guessing the game is late 70s or early 80s since these were in the O² - Quest for the Rings box I picked up a while back.

KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:58 am

Haven't been in this thread for a while... let's see, recent updates.

Recently bought Red Dragon Inn 4 and the 2 other single characters that they released (Natyli and Cormoc or something like that?)... it continues to be a great game, the Sea Event deck is a neat addon to it.

Played Power Grid for the first time. Lost miserably, but I expected to lose since it was my first time and all the other guys had played many times before. Neat game, I didn't dislike it as I lost so that's always a good sign.

My buddy just picked up a couple more expansions to Smallworld (I think? He was waffling between that and another expansion for Neuroshima Hex, I think he decided on Smallworld) so that'll be fun.

And this past Wednesday (Weds is our board/card game night), busted out an old favorite -- Once Upon A Time -- and introduced a new friend to it. For anyone who is unfamiliar with that game, you are dealt a hand full of cards that contain typical fairytale elements - a fight, beautiful, witch, time passes, a journey, etc etc. Then, you use the cards in your hand to try to tell a story and get to a separate card you get -- your ending card ("It fit perfectly", "The curse was lifted", etc). But here's the thing: you're all telling the same story. If I say "Once upon a time, the prince (play the prince) had a fight (play the fight card) with his father the king" and someone has the king card, they can play the king card and then they immediately start telling the SAME STORY. And they're trying to take it to THEIR ending card. So it gets a little crazy. Every time you lose control of the story, you draw a card.

I typically play it with myself and 3 of my best friends. We riff off of each other fantastically well, we all care WAY more about telling a hilarious story than we do about actually "winning" the game, and just generally have a ton of fun with it. Like, at least once per story the whole table is reduced to tears from laughter. Plus we're a little more fast and loose with the rules and all okay with it (officially the cards are supposed to be played 1 per sentence, and everything is supposed to CLEARLY work towards an ending, can be challenged if you seem to just be playing cards for the sake of playing cards). But we introduced a 5th to it this week, and he caught right on and was having great fun with it. I forgot how awesome that game is.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:34 am

Got a gift card recently to Rainy Day Games, which was cool, always like going there.

I used it to grab Dungeon and Boss Monster. The latter of which is NES style card game, where you use cards as environments, spells, and characters. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, though :\

I wish I had more money ... and friends ... to buy board games, but I just don't :\
There's some really intricate RPGs I'd like to get, but I can't really justify the cost right now.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:56 am

I bought Boss Monster purely on the box art.

It's fun. Not one of my favorites, I don't have like a deep need to play it all the time, but it's definitely fun to laugh at a little. Take the time to read the biographies of the adventurers at least once and enjoy them, plus a lot of the little jokes in the art.

But yeah, it's nothing deep and involved but fun for a laugh, especially if you're into oldschool games.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks to all this Ebola news I have been hankering to play Pandemic, but I have been playing alot of Talisman on steam and my phone. I had played Talisman once before in college with a guy who owned every version and every expansion. He poorly explained the rules, then bumrushed the crown and I just did not have fun. But a couple weeks ago it was on the IndieRoyale bundle and I have played about ten games and won seven. Now I need a physical copy, especially if I can get the Minotaur.

I got in the beta for the Witcher game on gog, and all I can say is once they rebalance it and release the actual boardgame, day one buy.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:06 am

Does Jenga count? Tonight we almost played our drinking game version of Jenga, where each piece has some sort of drink amount or crazy rule we wrote on it. Unfortunately, the girlfriend had too much vodka and passed out, so no blocks for me.
Return to Other Platforms