Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

by ZeroAX Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:50 am

I like playing Monopoly (just to annoy you :P) and 3 different types of backgammon.

but seriously, I like economic games a lot, like Settlers of Cattan. Also Ticket to Ride, and from casual games I really enjoyed dice town
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:09 am

Monopoly actually had a major update in 2006 with the speed die. It makes the game alot more fun and possible to be completed in under two hours with four players. I still prefer playing it with variable polyhedral dice after the first hour. Sure it is insanity, but when you get double 20s and land on boardwalk a second time youll understand.

to quote Wikipedia:
Unlike the three add-ons above, which have always been sold separately, the Speed Die was introduced in-game in 2006. In 2007, Parker Brothers began releasing its standard version of Monopoly with the same die (originally in blue, later in red). First included in Winning Moves' Monopoly: The Mega Edition variant, this third, six-sided die is rolled with the other two, and accelerates gameplay when in use. Its faces are: 1, 2, 3, two "Mr. Monopoly" sides, and a bus. The numbers behave as normal, adding to the other two dice, unless a "triple" is rolled, in which case the player can move to any space on the board. The bus (properly "get off the bus") allows the player to use only one of the two numbered dice or the sum of both, thus a roll of 1, 5, and bus would let the player choose between moving 1, 5, or 6 spaces. If "Mr. Monopoly" is rolled while there are unowned properties, the player advances forward to the nearest one. Otherwise, the player advances to the nearest property on which rent is owed.

The Speed Die is used throughout the game in the "Mega Edition", while in the "Regular Edition" it is used after every player has passed GO for the first time. In these editions it remains optional, although use of the Speed Die was made mandatory for use in the 2009 US & World MONOPOLY Championship.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:23 am

ZeroAX wrote: 3 different types of backgammon.
I have been trying to learn to play backgammon for years, but I have never met anyone who knows how to play. I have read more than one book on the subject, and I still don't get it. Either the books on backgammon are poorly written, or the rules are so arcane they are incommunicable without demonstration. I think maybe it's one of those games that I have to play a few times to learn. Simply reading the rules isn't clicking.

fastbilly1 wrote:Monopoly actually had a major update in 2006 with the speed die.
I have never heard of the speed die before this. My initial reaction is that it seems like fixing what's not broken. Simply playing by the rules exactly as written allows four players to complete a game in under two hours.

If I could change one aspect of Monopoly, I would ditch the elimination-style gameplay. The only way to win is to eliminate all the other players. The first and second person to be eliminated just sit out the remainder of the game until a final winner defeats all other opponents. I prefer games where all players are still in the running until the very end.

I wouldn't mind trying the speed die sometime just to see how it affects the dynamics of Monopoly. I can't knock it 'till I try it, I suppose.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:47 am

samsonlonghair wrote:I think maybe it's one of those games that I have to play a few times to learn. Simply reading the rules isn't clicking.

I went through a heavy Backgammon phase a few years back. I did not really click until I played it on my DS in Clubhouse games. After that I couldnt get enough of standard play. I still have no idea how bidding works with the multiples die, but I have fun nonetheless.

As for the Speed die, despite its almost decade on the market, I have never played with one. I found out about it in a documentary about competitive Monopoly. Sadly they only now sell it as a standalone product. I have a 50th anniversary version of Monopoly that I have had for many years and prefer to play on. I really did not want to have to buy a new version of monopoly for a die. I also have a 1931 version, minus the board, with wooden houses and pieces. Which while very cool looking, sets from that era sells for about $30 on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1930s-P ... 1c3b459f0d
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Backgammon is great. Too bad my defensive skills are so poor.

The doubling cube is used only in multiple-point matches. (a match usually scores 1 point). So if you were playing up to 5 or 10 points, if you had a doubling cube in play, a player before rolling the standard dice could basically say "Ok, I declare this game will be worth 2 points", and the other player must accept or lose the game. That player gets the cube and can double it to 4 whenever they choose, if they want. It can also go to 8,16,32 and 64.

There are other rules and names for variations on the doubling cube (Raccoons, Beavers, Murphy Rule, Jacoby Rule, etc.) but again, if you're just playing one game, the cube wouldn't even be used.

Pretty good thread, at least. I've got Ultimate Brain Games on the GBA, which has chess, checkers, backgammon, reversi, and some other stuff. I'm kind of a fan of the old school type of board games.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:54 am

Caverna is apparently out of print. :| I guess I'll wait for a reprint.

samsonlonghair wrote:If I could change one aspect of Monopoly, I would ditch the elimination-style gameplay. The only way to win is to eliminate all the other players. The first and second person to be eliminated just sit out the remainder of the game until a final winner defeats all other opponents. I prefer games where all players are still in the running until the very end.

I have no clue how you could get rid of player elimination and still retain the core "be a cutthroat s.o.b." mechanic. What would be the winning conditions?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:59 am

Opa Opa wrote:Caverna is apparently out of print. :| I guess I'll wait for a reprint.

samsonlonghair wrote:If I could change one aspect of Monopoly, I would ditch the elimination-style gameplay. The only way to win is to eliminate all the other players. The first and second person to be eliminated just sit out the remainder of the game until a final winner defeats all other opponents. I prefer games where all players are still in the running until the very end.

I have no clue how you could get rid of player elimination and still retain the core "be a cutthroat s.o.b." mechanic. What would be the winning conditions?

You can have it when one person is out the game ends, and the person with the most wealth wins. I have played that way before and it works out at about an hour and a half.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:25 am

You guys like dice cups? I got a cup from Q Workshop that has a bunch of Tolkien elvish jibber-jabber imprinted all over it. It is quite nice and I really think one of these cups should have come packaged in the War of the Ring box.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:21 pm

I use a dice tray. This one in fact:
http://www.amazon.com/10-INCH-WOOD-DICE ... B000XVG8XY
It is a nice dark yellow stain and green felt bottom.

When I get access to a woodworking shop again I will be making some more to my liking. Specifically something that is a rectangle about eighteen inches long and six inches wide (45cm by 15cm) and has a bit of a slope at the end with a lip on it. You can think of it like a putting training thing for golf. So if the dice roll for a long time they have a hard stop. The Koplow tray is great and we usually take it with us when we go to play games, but something longer would be better for me with RPGs.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:22 pm

So question: any decent trading card games other than Magic out there? Preferably something which isn't just a magic clone too.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Return to Other Platforms