Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Post by fastbilly1 »

ejamer wrote:I had talked about the Catacombs & Castles KickStarter earlier, and they finally have a prototype video up showing some gameplay.

Curious to how the art work will work standing up and laying down. Its obvious that the hexagon he lays down will be a tower of some sort. Same with the cone or pyramid being a tree. I just hope I get it this year. I played a couple dozen rounds of carroms over the weekend, enough to run out of powder.
ejamer
128-bit

Post by ejamer »

strangenova wrote:
ejamer wrote:Some Boss Monster questions:

I feel that the level of random luck vs strategy is on par with something like catan. In that I mean you can have bad luck but a superior strategy can most likely save you in the long run. I think you should give it another go, play a handful of games back to back if you can. It'll breed a familiarity with the cards and effects, allowing you to plan around future turns.

As for expansions, others here have mentioned its more of the same with a few new things, I can't say for myself as I don't have them.

Thanks!

fastbilly1 wrote:
ejamer wrote:... Catacombs & Castles ...

... I just hope I get it this year. ...

For reference, the first Catacombs campaign was 10 months late to arrive in Canada (one of the last countries to see shipments arrive). Progress was steady and continuous, but between adding a lot of unplanned content due to fan demand and running into several supply chain issues their estimate was significantly off.

In theory they should be better the second time around. However you can see scope expanding based on backer comments - new units are being designed and added now, and a whole raft of exclusive content is getting reprinted - so maybe this campaign won't be that different in the end.

Personally, I have strong doubts about the new game being ready before second quarter of next year. Would love to be wrong, but the current estimate of 4-5 months time for production and delivery seems extremely aggressive for a project like this.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Makes me debate dropping my pledge to a lower level and buying the base game now.
ejamer
128-bit

Post by ejamer »

fastbilly1 wrote:Makes me debate dropping my pledge to a lower level and buying the base game now.

If you can find the base game, that's a good move. Many stores have sold through their stock and seem to be waiting for the reprint but I'm sure there are copies out there.

I think the only benefit to KickStarting a copy of the base game is a slightly updated rulebook - although the updated PDF can be downloaded now.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Good point. Looks like I will have to wait for it.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I've been playing Scattergories lately. Word games are fun, and Scattergories is one of my favorites.
marurun

Post by marurun »

New Boss Monster add-on coming at Gen Con. Supports 5-6 players instead of the base 2-4. Looking forward to it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

marurun wrote:New Boss Monster add-on coming at Gen Con. Supports 5-6 players instead of the base 2-4. Looking forward to it.

Finally! Very excited to hear that.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yeah, the Origins promo care was a treasure type that's in the expansion but not the base game, so I can't do dick with the card until the expansion is released : /

But Steve Jackson Games started reprinting Ninja Burger in January and I finally own a copy. Got some Sentinels of the Multiverse expansion packs so I can have a little more variety. And I finally have a set of Game Science dice. About time.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

We play best 2 out of 3 Carroms almost every night now, in preparation for Catacombs. I say that, but really we just love playing Carroms. Now that the board has a proper coat of powder, the Carrom men fly like pool balls. It is possible to get a four bounce shot at any time, and fives are not uncommon. I have more blended vegetable starch in the mail, so that should replace the talc we are currently using - and solve any miniscule health concerns.

Any one who likes digital boardgames needs to check the Steam sale:
Talisman = $4.50 for base game, $40 for the game and all expansions as they are released. Only host needs the expansions.
Twilight Struggle = $9
Ascension = $5
Battlelore Command = $4
Witcher Adventure Game = $1.5
Ticket To Ride = $3
Tabletop Simulator = $10
Warhammer Quest = $3

I own all but Tabletop Simulator (on android or Steam, sometimes both), and have played many games of all but Twilight Struggle. Obviously they are all better with multiple people (sans Warhammer Quest), but the AI is not terrible in all of them. Ascension is the Android game for PC, know that going in and it is not that bad. Talisman however is worth every penny of that $40 if you enjoy the game at all. I typically play a game of talisman every two weeks, compared to once a year with the actual boardgame.

In the real world, since the Catacombs Kickstarter is over, I am going back to an oldie that has bested me for a very long time - Pattons Best. I will defeat the Nazis in my Sherman...one day.

Wife is in for a Hexagon Carrom board for when we go camping. Now I get to buy Crokinole pieces to fab up the extra Catacomb characters, and have a six player Carrom game.