Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
marurun

Re: Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

by marurun Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:28 am

For a good, quick game, I can recommend a few, but for more, you should check out the Geek and Sundry channel on YouTube and watch Wil Wheaton's Tabletop.

Tsuro is a game I heard about via Tabletop. You pick a token and play path tiles, and you have to follow the path. The goal is to be the last person still on the board. Rather cool with lots of replay value. Great with lots of players (it supports up to 8).

If you like a little insanity, try We Didn't Playtest This at All. You'll have to read about it on-line. I'm not sure I can be trusted to describe the experience properly. It is by the same company that made the game Win, Lose, or Banana, which consists of only 3 cards. Can you guess what the cards are?
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

by Hazerd Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:30 am

Man, i just want a copy of Hero's Quest, they seriously need to reprint that game.
:|
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:06 am

chupon wrote:I've been sitting on a sealed Arkum Horror for 5 fucking years! From what I understand I need someone to teach me how to play and need four to five other people. I heard the oversized instruction book is 45+ pages.

Someday?

It's nowhere as long and nowhere as complicated. It has a lot of moving pieces, but if you can play the average hobby game, you can tackle it.

You can play it solo to learn how it works and you don't need many players. In fact, with many players downtime starts to be very noticiable, I would play it with four or less.

Hazerd wrote:Man, i just want a copy of Hero's Quest, they seriously need to reprint that game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1039647 ... ry-in-2014
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Hazerd
Next-Gen

by Hazerd Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:01 pm

General_Norris wrote:
chupon wrote:I've been sitting on a sealed Arkum Horror for 5 fucking years! From what I understand I need someone to teach me how to play and need four to five other people. I heard the oversized instruction book is 45+ pages.

Someday?

It's nowhere as long and nowhere as complicated. It has a lot of moving pieces, but if you can play the average hobby game, you can tackle it.

You can play it solo to learn how it works and you don't need many players. In fact, with many players downtime starts to be very noticiable, I would play it with four or less.

Hazerd wrote:Man, i just want a copy of Hero's Quest, they seriously need to reprint that game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1039647 ... ry-in-2014

Yay!, ill have to import from a Spanish online retailer though.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Chances are it will be very easy to do so, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:38 am

General_Norris wrote:

Someday?

Depends on how many expansions you're in on. I have friends who have literally every expansion -- they had to buy a larger table just to play it on. And certain great old ones will just straight-up kill you if you have the wrong party and they get summoned.

I have a mostly-weekly board game night I go to. It can get annoying because certain people have very incompatible preferences (my one buddy has an obsession with Agricola and Puerto Rico, which I find intolerable and barely better; another friend love Neuroshima Hex, which a third will grudgingly play because he knows James likes it; I'm a fan of Illuminati which my friend Linda refuses to play whereas her husband loves, and they don't come to the nights seperately; another buddy hates Elimination games -- but when you're at 5+ players that's sometimes unavoidable)... then you get numbers. 3 people one week, 7 people the next, never really know what to plan for.

But it's fun in the end.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:16 am

Bump.

I've played a lot of Monopoly in the past seven or eight days. I won the last three of four games and the last game I had well over ten thousand dollars. In fact, the bank was nearly broke. I'm not sure how that happened but I wasn't complaining.

I then tried the X-Wing miniatures game. Have you guys played this? While not technically a board game I'm going to talk about it here anyway.
X-Wing is okay. It's deceptively simple. Miniatures games are not my forté but X-Wing's mechanics are quite easy to grasp. However my main issue (and this would probably apply to most other miniatures games) is that the figures are quite expensive if you want to build up a decent sized variety. I'd say the figures are worth it if you get to play often enough but I don't foresee myself investing too heavily right now.

Also, I'm getting a copy of War of the Ring. It looks like the most epic LotR board gaming experience you can have.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:49 am

I like simple board games. I guess that makes me the "filthy casual" of this thread, but I don't mind too much. If the game involves role-playing or counting up stats and hit points, I'm probably out.

I've been playing a few variants of Pachisi like Sorry and Trouble. These kind of games are fast and fun if you have four players.

Word games like Scrabble and Scattergories are perennial favorites at my kitchen table. I'm trying to get my family to play words with friends so we can all share an activity.

No one will play The Logo Game with me anymore because I always win. I guess I should have let others win a few rounds.

Opa Opa wrote:I've played a lot of Monopoly in the past seven or eight days. I won the last three of four games and the last game I had well over ten thousand dollars. In fact, the bank was nearly broke. I'm not sure how that happened but I wasn't complaining.

Monopoly can be a lot of fun too. I think it's important to keep to the rules as printed. House rules (especially the "free parking rule") make the game last too long.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Lately, I've been playing a lot of Pandemic, which a friend gave me for Christmas.

I really like this game because it's cooperative. It is the players VS the game rules. Though I've never tried, you can even play it single player. You are trying to beat back the outbreak of viruses before they overwhelm the planet. It's a real nailbiter of a game too. We lose all the time, and when we win it's always by the skin of our teeth.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:25 am

If you like Pandemic, but want alittle easier to teach, try Forbidden Island. If you like Pandemic and want something that is alittle less like a multiplayer puzzle, go for Defenders of the Realm. DOTR is one of our favorite games and we have all the extra characters, but missing the dragon and minion expansions.

Dune is my favorite, but the game we play the most nowadays is either Ogre or Xwing. Xwing since we have most of waves 1 and 2 and you can play a game in sub 30 minutes. Ogre because the Designer Edition came in and it is menacing ontop of my shelf.

You mean like this:
http://www.lanzanos.com/proyectos/heroq ... cesidades/

True they got kicked off Kickstarter for IP violation, but they have almost 400% of their goal and it should drop this year.

About a month ago I picked up copies of Runebound Island of Dread and Midnight, with the cards and map for the base game in the Dread box. Apparently Midnight is super rare, mine is just missing the character cards. I would be willing to trade if someone is interested.
Return to Other Platforms