Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Post by fastbilly1 »

I cant seem to win a campaign of Pattons Best. Apparently, I am a very poor tank Commander. So last Saturday morning, before the Wife wokeup, I played a couple rounds of a personal favorite:
Originally a Dragon magazine packin, Awful Green Things from Outer Space (AGTFOS) pits one players player as the motley crew of the starship Znutar while the other plays the eponymous Green Things (AGTs). The game is played on a single board divided into 50ish rooms:
Each character is represented by a chit:
The numbers in each corner are move, constitution, and attack dice. Move is in rooms, constitution is what the enemy has to roll over to kill your unit, attack dice is self explanatory.

So every turn the green things get to grow, move, attack, recover. So they get to chose of Eggs grow into Babies, Babies in to Adults, or Adults lay more eggs. Meaning a skillful AGT player can easily take over the map with overwhelming odds. But to combat this the crew has a wide variety of weapons. The thing is you do not know what the weapons do, until they are used on the first AGT. So you may get a gas grenade that has no effect, but a kitchen knife that does three dice worth of damage. As the game goes on it will become clear if the AGTs will take over the ship. If that is the case the crew can explode the ship and leave in a life boat (we view this as a tie).

Is there luck, absolutely
Is it a dice fest, you betcha
Is it thrilling when your pilot runs into a room with a fire extinguisher that is untested and gets the five dice to kill ability, absolutely.

For new players, the AGT is a much easier side to play, since they do win more often than not. But I have never had a bad game of it. The worst was when I shot at an adult and fragmented him, then hit the fragments with a fire extinguisher that caused them to grow to babies. This was more funny than annoying.

There are multiple versions of the game since original printing. I have the newest version and highly recommend it if you want a great 2 player super light wargame. Some of the most fun you can have for under $20. And thanks to never knowing how the weapons work, every game is different.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Interesting. I'm holding off on board games until I play everything I currently have at least once. Backlog is not long...but one really shouldn't have a backloggery of board games.

Current list as of yesterday:
Biblios
Amazonas
Puerto Rico
Kingdoms

We broke out Kingdoms yesterday. Very simple mechanics - a ton of strategy for something so simple and fast paced. A 4p game takes 15 mins and there is plenty of depth in that 15 mins.

Each turn you either play a tile from draw pile, the one tile in your hand, or a castle. You try and build into prosperous columns, but at any point a prosperous column can become a money pit, or cutoff by a mountain, or killed by a dragon - it's a really really well done game. So simple to learn, so fast to play, this is going to become a main of ours, particularly as a filler, or as something we want when we want something light, but not too light like For Sale or Skull.

It's 2, 3 or 4p - I imagine it's best w/4, but i'm sure it's quite good w/2 or 3 as well.

strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

That Kingdoms looks fun, and these days the light and fast board games see more play around my house. I'm going to look into that one.

Have you played Puerto Rico yet? I really like it, it's extremely well balanced and full of strategy. You spend the whole game making strategies for what you are gonna do based off of what the other players are actually doing. It doesn't get much play at my house anymore though, it's not the most visually stimulating and can be lengthy.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Puerto Rico is too long for my tastes, and in my opinion it's almost too heavy on strategy. Meaning my friend who owns it/plays it more is going to win basically every time, and I'm not going to get any better because I'm getting steamrolled. Need a little bit of luck to a game IMO.

He also loves Agricola, and out of the two Puerto Rico is in my opinion the better, despite them playing fairly similarly.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
ejamer
128-bit

Post by ejamer »

I wanted to play Puerto Rico for a long time before finally having a chance, and had enjoyed several "related" games where action selection played a big part. When the chance finally arrived, I enjoyed it much less than I had hoped.

Part of that might be because the rest of the table had played the game many times previously, and every mistake I made resulted in everyone who wasn't sitting to my left complaining. Part of it was that I just didn't enjoy the level and method of player interaction present.

Much prefer San Juan even though it's considerably more random.

---

Has anyone else been able to play Scythe?

I've managed to play three times thanks to my cousin who KickStarted the game. Although I was a bit skeptical going in, it's been really fun.

Strategy has been far less static than I expected (granted, we're only a few games in) and there do seem to be enough balanced choices to keep the game fresh. Although players are nudged towards certain strategies based on the player boards drawn, they are never strictly forced in that direction.

We've played with 2, 3, and 5 players. The game scaled well for all numbers, and the threat of combat is always present (even if it might never materialize).

Playing was enough to make me consider buying - but I'll probably hold out for a cheaper used copy at some point. Scythe sold so many copies, I'm sure some people won't like it as much as I did and be willing to trade/sell.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

KalessinDB wrote:Need a little bit of luck to a game IMO.

I think mitigated luck, like the dicerolls in ASL, would help alot of games. But hardcore eurogamers would rather die than have dice tarnish their perfect games...
Then again I like dice creating drama and games where luck maybe too much of a factor. Like Wizwar where a lucky hand can end the game early, or Talisman where the luck and drama can hit a fevered pitch once you pass through the door to the inner ring.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

For those that missed the news. FFG lost the Games Workshop license. So go buy these if you are interested:
• Black Crusade
• Blood Bowl: Team Manager
• Chaos in the Old World
• Chaos Marauders
• Dark Heresy
• Dark Heresy Second Edition
• Deathwatch
• Forbidden Stars
• Fury of Dracula
• Only War
• Relic
• Rogue Trader
• Space Hulk: Death Angel
• Talisman
• Warhammer: Diskwars
• Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
• Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game
• Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game
• Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

Find them on dedicated gaming sites, like Cardhaus, Coolstuffinc, etc, ebay and Amazon prices have already skyrocketed.

I can highly recommend Talisman (you must buy the Reaper expansion for it aswell), Fury of Dracula, Space Hulk Death Angel, and Warhammer RPG.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Talisman's the only major loss, but you can bet someone's going to scoop that up again after not too long.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Fantasy Flight makes some high quality games (as in the physical pieces/construction) so yeah.

I've sworn off buying board games for the most part and even I might get Fury of Dracula
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
marurun

Post by marurun »

Anyone here played this one?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/10/i-loathed-every-miserable-second-of-it-playing-trump-the-game/

I haven't, and if I wasn't already predisposed to not want to try it, this review seals the deal.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.