Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Post by Erik_Twice »

According to my Arkham Horror review, there are more board gamers in this forum than I originally thought! And I love board games so let's talk about them! What are you playing lately?

I'm a huge Android: Netrunner fan, I think it's one of the best games ever made by a wide, wide margin so I play it as often as I can. There's a tournament this Sunday and I think I'm going to play my best decks to try to win one of those playmats. Chances are I'll be tempted to play something strange so who knows what I'll take in the end.

I like big, nasty board games so perhaps it isn't a surprise that I just bought 1825 Unit 2. It's far simpler than the average 18XX title but it's really fun. Companies rise and crash all the time and you really feel like the driving force between the Railwaymania of the 1850s, playing the stock market and rushing so your companies get at the center of the board when you need them to.

What about you? What are you looking into? :)
Attachments
1825.jpg
1825.jpg (305.72 KiB) Viewed 20408 times
Last edited by Erik_Twice on Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Ack

Re: Board Games: The Revenge of Meeple Man

Post by Ack »

Lately my girlfriend has expressed an interest in picking up Twilight Struggle, since it's something she and I can play together. Any thoughts on that?

And as for my favorite board game...

Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I still haven't played Dune and you have no idea how much I want to play that game. I simply can't get six players to play it, though I'm told it works fine with five so I could try to build myself a copy someday because I manage to play The Republic of Rome often with just five players.

I have never played Twilight Struggle and I just had a Twitter conversation about how little I know about it. I'm told it takes three to four hours but isn't overly complex (6-8 pages of rules), it's apparently much easier than other "card-driven wargames" and isn't really a "card-driven wargame" in practise but that's all I know.

Copies surface around here at extremely low prices (10-20€) so I might get one if I can get my dad to play with me.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Go ahead and build and play Dune, Norris. The spice must flow! I got lucky in grad school when a friend's husband rescued a complete copy that he saw in a dumpster (seriously. I cringe when I think about it). We played Dune quite a few times, and I loved it. I even managed to win with the Bene Gesserit bullshit prediction, and they became my favorite faction very quickly, though each group has its strengths and weaknesses. I cannot recommend Avalon Hill's Dune enough.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Post by Erik_Twice »

The problem I have right now is that I don't really have a game group anymore. I used to game with some highschool friends but we drifted apart and now regular board gaming isn't as regular as it used to be.

Right now I only have one guy I can reliably game with, two with a bit of effort so it's not like the good ol' times when I played Steam: Rails to Riches three times a day. Playing Dune seems unlikely under those circumstances.

It sucks when this happens. I bought stuff to play Vampire and prepared a campaign and now everything is collecting dust. :/
marurun

Post by marurun »

This is what happens when folks get older. Gaming starts to suck. I have a gaming group I see about once a month, but we tend to have to stick to the more casual stuff to appeal to everyone.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

marurun wrote:This is what happens when folks get older. Gaming starts to suck. I have a gaming group I see about once a month, but we tend to have to stick to the more casual stuff to appeal to everyone.

I'm still 23, in fact being far younger than the average boardgamer is the reason why I haven't joined any board game club :lol:
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Talisman may be my favorite. Been playing since I was a kid.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Jmustang1968 wrote:Talisman may be my favorite. Been playing since I was a kid.

Which we need to play again soon once we're both done being sick.
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

My family loves playing board games on vacation. As soon as I get m kids to sleep a new game comes out. I remember the first time I pulled the Catan games out we started playing at 8pm. Five hours later we had to quite. We were seven games in. Back to back.

Some recent fun games ive been lucky enough to play.

Robo Rally
Shadows over Camelot
Puerto Rico

I've been sitting on a sealed Arkum Horror for 5 fucking years! From what I understand I need someone to teach me how to play and need four to five other people. I heard the oversized instruction book is 45+ pages.

Someday?
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad