Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
mjmjr25

Re: Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Post by mjmjr25 »

I'll take a peek too.

We have most of what we want now but there are a few that are OOP we wouldn't mind owning.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I am interested as well.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Xia: Legends of a Drift System is now available on amazon.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Sorry for the delay, I got the list out to the first person who contacted me, then I once he is done I will work it down through the others.

In other news, did anyone, other than Erik_Twice, see the Magic Strategy Boardgame announcement:
http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/34937 ... board-game

Heroscape 2.0, which was The Fantasy Trip 2.0, so TFT 3.0!
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Everyone raves about Heroescape so I'm glad it's seeing a sequel of sorts. And, hey, Magic is great :)
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I have always been a fan of board games since I was a kid. Nothing was more fulfilling than those moments when I was a child and thunderstorms left us bereft of electricity, our family huddled around the table and, with candles lit, we would game. Our games spanned a wide variety of board games, card games and various hybrids.

I remember when I was young, watching my older brothers play D&D, GURPS and the West End Games version of Star Wars, always wanting to take part, but being far too young to grasp the mechanics. As time went on, I watched them go into games like Samurai Swords and Axis & Allies. Now, as an adult, money had always been a tight and precious commodity, having to rely on friends to fulfill my board game habits.

I introduced a friend of mine to Will Wheaton's Tabletop series on youtube and he was hooked. He grabbed a few games, particularly Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Tsuro, and Castle Panic. We have put in so many hours and had so many great memories playing these games. Truly entertaining games.

He has moved on to college, sadly, so our time to board game has been diminished greatly. Luckily, we have been playing a LOT of Tabletop Simulator, a sandbox, physics based simulator created by Berserk Games. At first, I saw this as a half-assed simulator game, akin to games like Goat Simulator and Surgeon Simulator, making it a buggy, glitchy mess that's core value is in the random things that happen.

After some research, I found it to be exactly the opposite. This is a real, honest to goodness simulator of the tabletop experience. The game supports mods and there have been an enormous embrace by the modding community, putting tons of amazing board games out there for people to play.

I have been playing around with it with Cronozilla and said college-going friend and we have been having a blast playing games like, Forbidden Island and Lords of Waterdeep. The controls themselves take some getting used to, but after a while you get a good flow and everything starts to move very very smoothly.

I invite anyone to check it out and know there are people out there willing to try pretty much anything and everything on there, so come talk to us and spread the joy of tabletop gaming in a virtual medium for a much much cheaper cost.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Bogus,
What all games have you tried in Tabletop Simulator? I looked at it during the last sale and passed on it because I have no need to play traditional boardgames online. Now if I could get TI3, Ogre, and/or something like Longest Day that would change things.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

fastbilly1 wrote:Bogus,
What all games have you tried in Tabletop Simulator? I looked at it during the last sale and passed on it because I have no need to play traditional boardgames online. Now if I could get TI3, Ogre, and/or something like Longest Day that would change things.

game I have downloaded and tried are pandemic, Forbidden ISland, Lords of Waterdeep, Tsuro and Love Letter. Games I have set up and downloaded are, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Munchkin, King of Tokyo, Smash Up, Mice and Mystics and much much more! The mod community is huge. There are other hex-based strategy games out there. Although Ogre and Longest Day are not there YET, does not mean that it won't be there. The mod community is going nuts and is really exploding, with tons of games like X-wing are coming out of the woodwork and looking great!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

TI3 is a big seller for me, Longest Day is a pipe dream (what with its 10,000+ chits - its a squad level of Normandy where each hex is only 2km). I have been playing alot of boardgames on steam and android over the last year, but the pickings are not as broad as I would like. If I had an option to play some of the longer boardgames my group likes, ej Arkham Horror, through something thats not as archaic as VASSAL, well thats worth purchasing. I see Arkham Horror, Pokemon TCG, and Talisman are also there. I would love for Wizwar to make the hop aswell.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

+1 for Pandemic and Castle Panic.

We've had Castle Panic (and expansions) a couple years now. Great fun; especially w/kids as it isn't that complicated.

Pandemic we just got this year. Playing the standard game (lowest difficulty) we let the world die the first 6 games. We're getting better - we've beaten the diseases 2 of the last 3 times now. We're about to add a 5th Pandemic card the next time we play.

Also; let me praise another new game we got: "Coup". It is very simple card game for 2 to 6 players (more the better). Games take 5-15 mins, it takes 20 seconds to learn. It is a bluffing game and is just so so fun. Can't recommend it enough - nice cards, sturdy (small box) and about $10.