MOGA and Ipega (iControlPad Alternatives)

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

MOGA and Ipega (iControlPad Alternatives)

Post by GSZX1337 »

I backed the iControlPad KickStarter back in October and have gotten frustrated with the delays. Because of this, I've been looking into devices to use while I wait for the iControlPad 2 to come out.

The first I've encountered (in a FaceBook ad of all things) is called the MOGA Mobile System. This is similar to the iControlPad in that it has 2 analog sticks, four face buttons, and shoulder buttons. The controller is flat and doesn't look bad to hold in the hands. Even though the price on the linked website is a bit high, I've found the controller for pretty cheap, especially second hand. There are a couple problems with this controller, though. The first is that there is no d-pad. There is a pro version of the controller available which has a d-pad (and a rechargeable battery) but it doesn't have the same flat shape. It looks nicer to hold, but the portability is lost. The second problem is that to use the controller with any games, you have to run their proprietary app prior to launching the game. This isn't so bad, except that an app has to support the MOGA controller, Bluetooth controller support isn't enough. To circumvent this, you can run the app: MOGA Universal Driver. I've looked at the instructions and it seems like a lot of work just to use a controller. I might get the Pro Version if can find it for ten bucks on eBay like the non-pro MOGA.

The second controller looks much more promising. The Ipega PG-9017 is like the MOGA and the iControlPad in that it is a flat controller with four face buttons, two analog sticks, and shoulder buttons. Thankfully, this controller has a d-pad without having to buy a more expensive version. There is also no proprietary app that needs to run in the background like the MOGA. Also, this controller has modes to act as a keyboard, a mouse, an iCade, and of course, a joystick. My problem with this, is its price. It seems to go for ~$35 after shipping and I can't seem to find this second hand. Call me a cheap ass, but I have a hard time justifying a purchase over $20 for something that I'll be finished with a month or two later. Going by my difficulty to find this controller second hand, I'll probably have a problem getting a decent price on eBay. I suppose that the iControlPad 2 could be delayed even longer and that I could sell the Ipega here on RacketBoy, but that's up in the air. I've found the controller on DealExtreme for ~$24, but I haven't used them before. Are they alright?

Has anyone here used either of these controllers? If so, are any of them alright? Has anyone else backed the iControlPad 2 on KickStarter?
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: MOGA and Ipega (iControlPad Alternatives)

Post by Anapan »

I got the ipega. It works well. No complaints.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

This all depends if you have an iPhone or an Android phone. If it's the latter, then you can just get a much more useful Dualshock 3, or a significantly cheaper wired solution via an OTG cable. But, if you have an iPhone, already will be getting an iCP2 in the near future, and just need a stopgap until then, any cheap, knockoff Bluetooth controller off of Ebay should work just fine.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

lisalover1 wrote:This all depends if you have an iPhone or an Android phone. If it's the latter, then you can just get a much more useful Dualshock 3, or a significantly cheaper wired solution via an OTG cable.

I have a PS3 and and Android phone, but I want something that can connect to my phone like the three controllers I mentioned.

But, if you have an iPhone, already will be getting an iCP2 in the near future, and just need a stopgap until then, any cheap, knockoff Bluetooth controller off of Ebay should work just fine.

I'm wanting something decent or at least something that has a review on a well known site. I'm not sure if the iCP2 will be out by the end of the month so I'd like something decent. Since Anapan said the iPega was decent, I'll see if I can squeeze out a few more dollars. *sigh* I'm kinda in an awkward position with not knowing when the damn iCP2 will come out and having to pay for some additional expenses.
jinx
Next-Gen

Post by jinx »

I own the Moga, and although I love the design, the buttons feel like crap to me.

The universal driver was actually REALLY easy to set-up, but if you want full analog support you'll need to do a few extra steps and root your phone/tablet. I still have issues connecting from time-to-time, but it seems completely random. I'll restart Android a few time and then it works again.

I really like how the SteelSeries "Free" looks in the reviews (ION was a way better name...). However, the price is outrages. Meh...
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I'm glad I made this thread. Thanks to your posts, I learned to stay clear of the MOGA and go towards the iPega. I looked at that Steelseries controller and that's too much for me. I got the iPega off of eBay for a little less than what I found it for on DX and it's definitely worth the money. The iControlPad 2 was delayed again due to a shortage on RGB LEDs and this iPega is more than adequate in making the wait easier. I've configured it with some emulators and a game or two. Unfortunately, I cannot get it to work with Meganoid, The best I could get is having up as the jump button which isn't acceptable to me. Perhaps I could mess with BluezIME...

So thanks again for the help.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S4. I was browsing cell accessories in Fred Meyer and saw the MOGA for $39.99. The packaging said it had won various awards, but the buttons looked and felt really cheap to me. I figure if I'm willing to spend $40 on a controller to play a few lame cell phone games, then I should be willing to spend the extra to buy a real handheld, so I didn't buy the MOGA, but now I might consider a 3DS.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
jinx
Next-Gen

Post by jinx »

J T wrote:I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S4. I was browsing cell accessories in Fred Meyer and saw the MOGA for $39.99. The packaging said it had won various awards, but the buttons looked and felt really cheap to me. I figure if I'm willing to spend $40 on a controller to play a few lame cell phone games, then I should be willing to spend the extra to buy a real handheld, so I didn't buy the MOGA, but now I might consider a 3DS.

They built up a lot of hype with this controller. Honestly, I felt in love with the design and ended up purchasing it blindly. I regret my decision and agree that the buttons feel extremely cheap. I hate that "clicky" style of button that's found on most knock-off controllers from china. Also, the connection seems really sporadic and I sometimes have issues getting a game to recognize the controller at all, even when using the official Moga APP (which is dumb. If you own a Moga, look into getting the Universal Driver).
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

I came very close to buying the MOGA Pro directly from PowerA, but when I asked for a shipping quote they said it was $72.76 for international shipping to me...JUST for the shipping, not including the price of the controller itself. Ridiculous.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Ghegs wrote:I came very close to buying the MOGA Pro directly from PowerA, but when I asked for a shipping quote they said it was $72.76 for international shipping to me...JUST for the shipping, not including the price of the controller itself. Ridiculous.

Good Gawd, I don't think I'd pay $72.46 for shipping even if it was next day coming from China.

J T wrote:I figure if I'm willing to spend $40 on a controller to play a few lame cell phone games, then I should be willing to spend the extra to buy a real handheld, so I didn't buy the MOGA, but now I might consider a 3DS.

I don't really blame you for wanting to go with a 3DS, but I don't think it's fair to say that Android games are lame. There's some good shit out there.