Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38049
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

by noiseredux Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:04 am

so I should have held on to my NGPC stuff for a year longer and made bank? Awesome.

Btw, beta - I just noticed your blog in your link. OMG what a wealth of information and awesome pcis! Great stuff.
Image
Betagam7
128-bit
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 am
Location: obsoleteworlds.com

Re: Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

by Betagam7 Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:09 am

noiseredux wrote:Btw, beta - I just noticed your blog in your link. OMG what a wealth of information and awesome pcis! Great stuff.


Thank you. It's a work in progress and I only have limited time to work on it but I'm trying to do the best I can. I can find next to no information about these systems and topics on the internet so I am trying to do my duty and provide as much information as I can on them. I'm happy that anyone finds it useful. :D
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8200
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

by alienjesus Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:26 am

The price hike on Dive Alert is super weird, I wonder what caused it?

It is out of the norm for the system either way. Other games are getting price hikes but not to such an extreme. Particularly not the comparatively common ones like Dive Alert.

I attribute a lot of the recent rise in retro game prices to the methods eBay is using to get more money. Supply and demand is one thing, but if all the supply is rising in price because of certain things and the demand is still there and willing to pay the higher prices, then you start getting things rise quickly. Most of the retro price increase is down to Buy It Now prices and eBay showing you recommended selling costs for your game imo.

Used to be you went on eBay to find a game and found 15 auctions and 2 BIN prices. Now you go on and find 16-17 BIN prices and 1 auction if you're lucky. And the auction ends much higher because people are willing to go up to the BIN price, whereas they would have stopped earlier before.

eBay used to be an auction site. Now it's basically just a shop.
Image
Tanooki
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

by Tanooki Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:27 pm

I think eBay has a huge hand in it because you don't get punished for squatting on stupid high prices anymore if you balance out doing just 50 postings a month (100 if they do a free 50 window.) Stores get such cut rate deals as well they can afford to lose a few cents to squat as well.

Dive Alert is an anomaly. I've been watching them for a bit as I've been squatting on jumping back into the NGPC since early/mid last year due to my MVS pick up (and casually watched before off and on.) Some stuff I think is even down. I remember well back like 15 years ago people were paying bigger bucks for certain titles such as The Last Blade. You can buy that one loose now for $30, but when it was only found in that blister pack in the states it was a lot more. I refused to do that, bought the Japanese version instead back then. Yet you do have some Japanese exclusives or english in UK only releases which suck more now than they did before, somewhat. Mega Man is well up, can't explain Cotton as it was in the states, yet Faselei isn't as bad, but Evolution is stupid nuts. It's like a pick and choose level of abuse really.
Betagam7
128-bit
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 am
Location: obsoleteworlds.com

Re: Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

by Betagam7 Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:28 pm

Tanooki wrote:I think eBay has a huge hand in it because you don't get punished for squatting on stupid high prices anymore if you balance out doing just 50 postings a month (100 if they do a free 50 window.) Stores get such cut rate deals as well they can afford to lose a few cents to squat as well.

Dive Alert is an anomaly. I've been watching them for a bit as I've been squatting on jumping back into the NGPC since early/mid last year due to my MVS pick up (and casually watched before off and on.) Some stuff I think is even down. I remember well back like 15 years ago people were paying bigger bucks for certain titles such as The Last Blade. You can buy that one loose now for $30, but when it was only found in that blister pack in the states it was a lot more. I refused to do that, bought the Japanese version instead back then. Yet you do have some Japanese exclusives or english in UK only releases which suck more now than they did before, somewhat. Mega Man is well up, can't explain Cotton as it was in the states, yet Faselei isn't as bad, but Evolution is stupid nuts. It's like a pick and choose level of abuse really.


Evolution is expensive because it is genuinely rare. the English language version only came out in tiny numbers for PAL territories. It was always the big expensive game, even when I started out collecting. it only shows up on ebay once or twice a year whereas its never hard to find Dive Alert.

Faselei got a blister release in the states so it shouldn't be commanding more than a mid range price unless it's the PAL boxed one. I paid 50GBP from retrogames.co.uk for that one about three years ago and they had five in stock! Today you won't find it for less than double that.

Cotton isn't as rare as people make out either. What's really annoying is the price hike on the Japanese version which got a normal release and shouldn't be hard to find at all!

What I'd love to see is someone settling up a website to fact check rarity of these games so that people have a resource to go to and educate themselves instead of just being dictated to by ebay shops.

There was a guy on the BNGPC facebook group trying to push PAL Crush Roller for $100+ recently and then acting affronted when told it wasn't some rare diamond!

Another one that has shot up is Magical Drop Pocket. I've seen that going for $250+ recently. Again, I bought the PAL version boxed and complete for 60GBP only a year and a half ago.
Tanooki
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

by Tanooki Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:39 am

Yes it's weird. I can just go by what I remember before plus glancing at things now. I know Evo is a pain straight up but Cotton is not, it's crook play almost as bad as Dive Alert.
Betagam7
128-bit
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 am
Location: obsoleteworlds.com

Re: Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

by Betagam7 Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:21 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172568625888? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Interesting. I was watching this and not sure how far the bidding would go for what may well just turn out to be a copy of either 'Neo Turf Masters' or 'Master of Suyogi'. Although I guess this is how Magician Lord 2 was discovered.

Admittedly the #36 is mysterious since there is no NEOP0036 in the systems lineup.

I might start ripping labels off old copies of sports games and seeing if I can get fifty quid for them! :lol:
Tanooki
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

by Tanooki Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:44 pm

That's rough, but I guess it did go for a gamblers price. It seems more to me that it would be a fraud with that on the sticker there.
Tanooki
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

by Tanooki Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:26 pm

If you have a neo-geo forums account since it will be hidden within their marketplace, the old MVS/AES list did get an update in May I hadn't even heard about until the other day so that one on post #1 is retired but unable to be edited.

Post #64 has it now:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... ost4198854

I've added more goodies in this month due to a couple lucky pick ups, 5 more MVS games in July. I'm up to 39 carts.
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7527
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:16 am

alienjesus wrote:The price hike on Dive Alert is super weird, I wonder what caused it?

The YouTuber Illuminati
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
Return to Other Platforms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest