Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

Post by Tanooki »

This thread is dead, best to start another. Due to certain reasons the starter has bailed on the thread and has it over on the neo-geo forums website. Despite that it also has still not been update since last September and prices have gone up since but it's still a fairly good benchmark.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Tanooki wrote:This thread is dead, best to start another. Due to certain reasons the starter has bailed on the thread and has it over on the neo-geo forums website. Despite that it also has still not been update since last September and prices have gone up since but it's still a fairly good benchmark.

I don't know how the NA market has fared but prices have gone THROUGH THE ROOF for PAL NGPC games. I've lost all interest in collecting for a system I had once harboured hopes of getting a complete collection of carts for. Everything even semi-hard to find has now gone past the £200 mark! :x
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

Tanooki wrote:This thread is dead, best to start another. Due to certain reasons the starter has bailed on the thread

I was wondering why I hadn't seen his username amongst the threads here recently.
Pity that he no longer visits this neck of the woods.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Betagam7 wrote:
Tanooki wrote:This thread is dead, best to start another. Due to certain reasons the starter has bailed on the thread and has it over on the neo-geo forums website. Despite that it also has still not been update since last September and prices have gone up since but it's still a fairly good benchmark.

I don't know how the NA market has fared but prices have gone THROUGH THE ROOF for PAL NGPC games. I've lost all interest in collecting for a system I had once harboured hopes of getting a complete collection of carts for. Everything even semi-hard to find has now gone past the £200 mark! :x

AtariAge forums - look up SAINT. He's like 90% done making a NGPC flash kit which uses microsD cards and should go for around $80USD. That's how you get around the insane gouging on certain specifically PAL titles. US games, especially loose are still not too bad, lower than old retail at least. It kind of surprises me because no one cared back in the day or it would have survived longer, now it's another one to get stupid about which seems silly given the smaller library.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Tanooki wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:

AtariAge forums - look up SAINT. He's like 90% done making a NGPC flash kit which uses microsD cards and should go for around $80USD. That's how you get around the insane gouging on certain specifically PAL titles. US games, especially loose are still not too bad, lower than old retail at least. It kind of surprises me because no one cared back in the day or it would have survived longer, now it's another one to get stupid about which seems silly given the smaller library.

I have nearly all of the games I want to play anyway (plus Evolution and Cardfighters Clash 2 translated on my Flashmasta). I was simply interested in picking up a full collection of carts by sweeping up a few odds and ends. Previously this didn't seem impossible as only Cool Boarders and Evolution ever went for the big money. Now it seems people are will willing to pay $300 for the Dive Alert games which aren't even rare they are just being hoarded.

As you say, the NGPC was NEVER the Neo Geo in terms of cost or collect-ability but I can only presume some Youtuber "discovered" it and now the rich kids think it is a must have rarity instead of a super common system with easy to find games.
Ack

Post by Ack »

What? $300 for the Dive Alerts? Man, it has been a while since I looked at NGPC prices. I remember those going for less than a tenth of that.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Betagam7 wrote:

What games are you looking for? Having a quick scan now I haven't noticed anything more notable than the similar price spike happening on every other console. Most of the games I checked can still be had for under £20, which doesn't seem that crazy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

crazy. Back when I was collecting NGPC I only did CIB stuff, so I always always paying a premium. But geez, I remember cart-only games (minus the US copies of Faselei and Last Blade 2) being dirt cheap.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Yeah but that premium wasn't even that bad. When I was getting stuff back then I usually bought complete used and it wasn't even up to original retail, even on more odd stuff like Cotton. The most I popped I think due to import 'tax' we'll call it was $50 for Mega Man complete. Now both those 2 are $100-200+ complete games, and yeah Dive Alert you couldn't get rid of for $10 and now they're way up there. I think the worst I recall was over $50 for Faselei loose the US version as it's quite rare as it never officially released but was later done in those dumpster diving blister packs.

That's why I pointed out the flash kit. Buy that for $80 when it's out and let the scalpers scalp either others hides and buy when you can find a normal price on the stuff.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

alienjesus wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:

What games are you looking for? Having a quick scan now I haven't noticed anything more notable than the similar price spike happening on every other console. Most of the games I checked can still be had for under £20, which doesn't seem that crazy.

Cool Boarders Pocket
Dynamite Sluggers
Evolution Eternal Dungeons
King of Fighters R-1 (B&W)
Neo 21
Neo Cherry Master
Neo Mystery Bonus
Samurai Showdown! (B&W)
Shanghai Mini
Neo Geo Cup 98 (B&W)
Pocket Tennis (B&W)

These are the only games I don't own PAL carts for.

The fruit machine stuff I couldn't care less about but those games used to go for less than a fiver. Now it's twenty quid for a loose cart because = rare!

The Black and white games used to go for about 20-60 GBP, now its £100-400 because OMG teh R@reZ! People are now even trying to price the Japanese versions at £100+ even though they are extremely common!

About a year ago I bought Neo Baccarat for £60 after it sat for a week on a BIN listing, now I could conceivably sell it and pay off the first installment of my Masters degree!

The price hiking is far beyond "normal"...not that any of the ridiculous price hiking over the last few years should be considered that anyway. Some of the games I've listed above are genuinely rare but the irony is that stuff like Dive Alert is now outstripping them threefold in price hiking because of hoarders and price jackers. Dive Alert was released in PAL and NA territories and sold in those blister packs yet boxed it now commands higher prices than Evolution which got a limited boxed only release only in PAL territories.

The pricing makes absolutely ZERO sense...yet still people pay it.