Neo Geo MVS Arcade Cabinet - Transport

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Phades
64-bit

Neo Geo MVS Arcade Cabinet - Transport

Post by Phades »

I have an opportunity to pick up a 4-slot Neo Geo MVS cabinet locally. It looks like it's in great condition and I've wanted one of these for years but I'm running into trouble on how to get it home.

First, I'm having trouble securing a pickup truck for transport. Second, it's pouring rain here today.

Does anyone know if it's ok to transport these on their sides?

3G33Nc3l25Ic5N35M6d1r0447936e5a9f1fae.jpg
3G33Nc3l25Ic5N35M6d1r0447936e5a9f1fae.jpg (17.93 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
XBL: Phades
PSN: Phades
Steam: Phades
AppleQueso

Re: Neo Geo MVS Arcade Cabinet - Transport

Post by AppleQueso »

Transporting it on its side shouldn't be any issue. Just open up the back and make sure everything is secured, especially the monitor. Remove any loose change or doodads you see lying in the floor of it too.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

AppleQueso wrote:Transporting it on its side shouldn't be any issue. Just open up the back and make sure everything is secured, especially the monitor. Remove any loose change or doodads you see lying in the floor of it too.

Ive moved a couple on their sides. So like Applequeso said, it shouldnt be an issue. That 4slot will open at the coin door, and has two latches to let the control panel flip forward. Then you can access everything inside. I HIGHLY recommend double checking that the board is screwed down right and removing the carts. Transporting it with the carts in the slot could damage both.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

fastbilly1 wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Transporting it on its side shouldn't be any issue. Just open up the back and make sure everything is secured, especially the monitor. Remove any loose change or doodads you see lying in the floor of it too.

Ive moved a couple on their sides. So like Applequeso said, it shouldnt be an issue. That 4slot will open at the coin door, and has two latches to let the control panel flip forward. Then you can access everything inside. I HIGHLY recommend double checking that the board is screwed down right and removing the carts. Transporting it with the carts in the slot could damage both.

Don't forget to latch the control panel back up when you're done!
Phades
64-bit

Post by Phades »

Very cool. Should be able to make it work then. Another question, is it worth $500? I'm going to try to haggle of course.
Here's the description from CL:

"Full arcade-size Neo Geo MVS 4 Game console with four pre-installed games: Bust a Move, Metal Slug X, Viewpoint 3D, and Samurai Showdown II. Unit is in excellent condition and fully functional"
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Its a fair price. Viewpoint goes for $100ish on its own.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

It looks to be in good shape but I would try to get him down to $400. $450 or $500 would still be a solid purchase IMO. If the board is not secured in the cab, unplug it and place it on a static free surface inside the truck with you. That's what I did when I brought home my MVS machine. :)
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Phades
64-bit

Post by Phades »

I went out and saw it and have a couple of concerns so now I'm not sure if I'm going to get it or not.

The biggest issue is one of the slots seems to have issues where the game will either freeze up or get lines running through sprites. At one point it wouldn't even recognize the cart at all and I had to power off the unit as it froze. I moved the carts around and verified it was definitely the slot that was affected.
Next, the cabinet isn't in as good of shape as the picture looks like it it, but it's not bad. I don't see that as a huge deal, but it's a little disappointing.
Lastly, the lady selling it wasn't sure where the key to the marquee was and one of the lights was burnt out. I'd probalby need a lock smith to fix that.

I'd probably offer her less money either way, but I need to think about it. The wife has signed off on me getting a cabinet so I don't want to blow it on a potential problem child.
bryan_65
Next-Gen

Post by bryan_65 »

I moved mine on is back and took the board out. I think if everything checks out $500 would be a good price, you can still haggle though. Hell just the four carts is about $150 to $200. Is it the smaller one? I know you can just unscrew the top on my 2 slot to get to the marquee and light.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Phades wrote:
I'd probably offer her less money either way, but I need to think about it. The wife has signed off on me getting a cabinet so I don't want to blow it on a potential problem child.

Every cab is going to have problems. Every single one. Monitor and chassis problems are the toughest to fix, or at least the most costly. So that should be the primary thought.

You can drill out the lock if it's an issue and buy either or original replacements, NOS replacements, or 3rd party replacements on the cheap. To be brutally honest, that really shouldn't qualify as a concern or worry.

As fast stated, Viewpoint is a brillaint vertizontal shooter and routinely sells for $100 and you can get that back at any time. Metal Slug X is in the $40-45 range, a bit more if minty orginal holo label. Another $40-50 on the last 2 and there's $200 off the top.

You can always get replacement parts for anything on cabs, particularly neo cabs, no worries on things that you'd like to spiff up.

Transporting on its side is fine, like queso sad, just double check everything is fully secured, the 4-slot, the chassis / monitor / PSU.

MVS slots are notoriously problems, but it's one slot. You only need one. You can get a replacement 4-slot if needed, or swap it for a single slot or 2-slot. 4's and 6's often have a wonky slot or two...or all.

Long story short, show her (4) $100 bills and tell her cash in hand. You're really only paying $200 for a working cab. If she balks, I wouldn't hesitate to give her the 5th bill, but it goes from being a very good deal to a decent/ok deal.